PDA

View Full Version : Krum to get football...

KTJ
02-01-2006, 02:43 PM
That's the rumor on a few message boards. I know it's popped up several times before but one of the coaches claims that it's true.

If so, it's about time.

lostaussie
02-01-2006, 02:57 PM
i heard that too. there goes the basketball team:D

HighSchool Fan
02-01-2006, 03:00 PM
i think they have a bond election this month to decide if they want football or not. i've been trying to find out when the bond is but haven't had any luck yet.

BullFrog Dad
02-01-2006, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
i think they have a bond election this month to decide if they want football or not. i've been trying to find out when the bond is but haven't had any luck yet. I think it's on May 13th.

olddawggreen
02-01-2006, 07:48 PM
District moves closer to decision
Krum school board to further discuss football program at next meeting

07:21 AM CST on Tuesday, January 24, 2006
By Lowell Brown / Staff Writer

KRUM — The Krum school district moved closer to approving a football program Monday night, but a final decision likely won’t come until February.

The school board informally agreed to move forward with plans for a May 13 bond election that would include costs associated with football and other extracurricular activities. The board asked Superintendent Troy Hamm and the district’s financial adviser to return to the Feb. 13 school board meeting with more data related to the amount of the bond issue.

Board members are considering asking voters to approve between $12 million and $20 million for a package of projects. The projects likely would include facilities for football and volleyball programs, a new elementary school, a high school auditorium and road improvements.

“Football has been something that the community has expressed a desire for, and it has been a recurring subject for the school board,” school board President Phil Enis said after the meeting. “And we are now to the point where the administration is telling us that the financial picture allows us to incorporate these programs, which is something we’ve never been able to say before. And so I feel certain that the bond election will include those programs.”

More than a dozen Krum residents attended the meeting. Several said they leaned one way or the other on the football issue, but were reserving a final decision until they learned more.

Sonein Noack, whose three children attend Krum schools, said she supports adding football and other extracurricular activities because they would enrich students’ educational experience. Noack said she moved to the district in December not realizing Krum didn’t offer football.

Krum is among the minority of Class 2A districts not to have the sport.

Critics have said adding the programs would take away too many resources from the district’s existing activities, including basketball, concert band and agriculture.

The school board had delayed a decision in December, directing Hamm to return Monday with a clearer view of the district’s financial outlook. He told the board the time was right to proceed.

“There’s been a lot of years where we haven’t [had the resources], and I think finally we can say we can do this and find a way to make it work,” Hamm said.

The district’s financial adviser, Joshua McLaughlin of RBC Dain Rauscher Inc., called current interest rates “very attractive.”

“It’s an excellent time to be looking into another bond program,” McLaughlin said.

McLaughlin presented data on the tax impact on residents if a bond were approved, saying it would depend on how much the district’s values rise over the next several years. Stephen Hafer of VLK Architects also addressed the board, providing a breakdown of costs related to the possible high school auditorium and a new elementary school, which Hamm has said the district would need in the next five to eight years.

About half of the district’s local revenue comes from oil, gas and minerals on district property, a volatile source that makes it difficult to project future revenue. That fact, along with the ambiguity over how the Texas Legislature will proceed with school funding, makes determining the district’s financial future tricky, officials have said.

Enis called “broad” the figures presented Monday and said the board would have a better idea of the projects’ cost and tax impact next month. He anticipated calling an election in late February.

If voters approve the bond issue, the district would start implementing football with the seventh-grade class starting in August 2007, Hamm said.

lostaussie
02-01-2006, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by olddawggreen
If voters approve the bond issue, the district would start implementing football with the seventh-grade class starting in August 2007, Hamm said. wow. seventh grade in 2007. that means seniors in 2012. its gonna take them longer to get seniors than it took lewisville hebron to start a program and win a state championship. kinda curious why they won't start at a higher grade. at least maybe a j.v the first couple of years.

olddawggreen
02-01-2006, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by lostaussie
wow. seventh grade in 2007. that means seniors in 2012. its gonna take them longer to get seniors than it took lewisville hebron to start a program and win a state championship. kinda curious why they won't start at a higher grade. at least maybe a j.v the first couple of years.

Gotta give the grass time to grow on that new field I guess. :doh: