PDA

View Full Version : Interesting article in the Dallas Morning News

eye of the tiger
10-23-2002, 07:07 PM
Interesting article in the Dallas Morning News today. It is about 5A but has to effect the other classifications.

UIL council votes to enlarge Class 5A
10/23/2002

AUSTIN – The UIL Legislative Council on Monday voted to increase the maximum number of Class 5A schools, which could result in each 5A district having four playoff representatives – two each in Division I and II – instead of three.

The rule, which will allow Class 5A's growth from 227 schools to a maximum of 245, will take effect before the UIL begins considering realignment next fall. Another change has the soccer season and soccer state tournament beginning a week later.

School districts will continue to have control over testing for steroids and other performance-enhancing drugs.

sinton66
10-23-2002, 08:01 PM
That is pretty interesting, eott. I don't know about 4 teams from each district. That seems a little extreme to me. I think there are enough people who already feel the playoff system is watered down. I can see the benefit to the schools, but don't know whether or not this would be better. What do you think?

Ozzy
10-23-2002, 08:46 PM
There weren't enough schools with 5A enrollment to warrant another classification. The overall goal of the UIL is to keep the ratio at 2:1 in all classes. That means that 3A will probably have less than 175 schools. Look for the numbers to be somewhere between 500-950. The four playoff teams will only be at the 5A level in the next realignment. That is because just about all districts will have 8-10 teams.

Old Dog
10-23-2002, 08:57 PM
Isn't it great to see all of the MBAs and PHDs paying off with more inane ideas to water down the playoffs and foul up things to a greater degree!

aamove
10-23-2002, 11:18 PM
Does this mean that each of the other classifications will get their higher enrollments trimmed back or are they just thinking that maybe there will be a lot of 4A schools growing and forcing them into the 5A range? None the less the idea of 4 teams from each district making the playoffs just carries the system to a new and disturbing level. With most districts having 2 or maybe 3 strong teams it seems that adding a fourth team into the mix is a bit extreme. The chances of teams with a losing record making the playoffs would increase.

Rabbit'93
10-23-2002, 11:48 PM
They need to create a 6A. Just the schools with the super high enrollments. Sure they'll have to travel farther but adding another playoff team is like beer in Oklahoma.

PPHSfan
10-23-2002, 11:52 PM
And I am sure a school large enough to be classified as 6A could afford to charter a couple of busses once or twice a year, don't you think?

OldSchoolBulldog
10-24-2002, 12:16 AM
O' well