PDA

View Full Version : Anyone filled out the FAFSA?

football4life
01-31-2006, 10:41 PM
This thing is ridiculous. It asked several questions that had nothing to do with income tax. It really doesn't seem fair that they could base their decision on how much child support my mom receives, or how much she has saved. I know this thing is trying to help, but cmon now.

STANG RED
01-31-2006, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by football4life
This thing is ridiculous. It asked several questions that had nothing to do with income tax. It really doesn't seem fair that they could base their decision on how much child support my mom receives, or how much she has saved. I know this thing is trying to help, but cmon now.

Its rediculous I know! We had to do it with our daughter last year. Let me know if I can help answer any questions. Be sure and go to the FSA site and sign up also. You never know what scholarships you may qualify for.
Where are you going to go?

marlin fan
01-31-2006, 10:54 PM
This thing is ridiculous. It asked several questions that had nothing to do with income tax. It really doesn't seem fair that they could base their decision on how much child support my mom receives, or how much she has saved. I know this thing is trying to help, but cmon now. OH CRAP i dont wanan go thrw that again lol is it tim already???

football4life
01-31-2006, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Its rediculous I know! We had to do it with our daughter last year. Let me know if I can help answer any questions. Be sure and go to the FSA site and sign up also. You never know what scholarships you may qualify for.
Where are you going to go?

I'm going to Tech, and I'm receiving a good amount of money in scholarships, so at least im not depending on this thing.

Rabbit'93
01-31-2006, 11:09 PM
What's FAFSA?:(

buffalo2006
01-31-2006, 11:23 PM
Brady ur going to tech.

mwynn05
01-31-2006, 11:29 PM
This thing is ridiculous. It asked several questions that had nothing to do with income tax. It really doesn't seem fair that they could base their decision on how much child support my mom receives, or how much she has saved. I know this thing is trying to help, but cmon now. There is a point to it. They dont wanna give money to poeple who dont need it

Rainman
01-31-2006, 11:41 PM
As always it is a nightmare of an adventure.

neck_06
02-01-2006, 09:14 AM
me and my family haven't filled it out yet, but we need too!!!

:eek: :eek:

AP Panther Fan
02-01-2006, 09:19 AM
Waiting on my husband's W-2 so we can get our income tax done quickly and complete the FAFSA.

It is probably all for nothing, but I certainly don't want to do it twice in one year.:rolleyes:

3afan
02-01-2006, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Rabbit'93

http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/

Ranger Mom
02-01-2006, 10:37 AM
We talked to a college recruiter this weekend....she asked how much my husband and I made last year...when I told her, she said, "don't waste your time filling it out, you won't qualify"!

So...that's that!!

cdlvj
02-01-2006, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
We talked to a college recruiter this weekend....she asked how much my husband and I made last year...when I told her, she said, "don't waste your time filling it out, you won't qualify"!

So...that's that!!

Yet at my daughters school, there were very wealthy families which qualified, don't know how they did it.

zeus63
02-01-2006, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Rabbit'93

Free Application for Federal Student Aide

gobbler grad
02-01-2006, 10:43 AM
it sure does help...:thumbsup:

Ranger Mom
02-01-2006, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by cdlvj
Yet at my daughters school, there were very wealthy families which qualified, don't know how they did it.

Well..we are FAR FAR FAR from being anywhere close to wealthy!

Hmmm...I may fill it out anyway and see what happens.

zeus63
02-01-2006, 10:48 AM
Well..we are FAR FAR FAR from being anywhere close to wealthy!

Hmmm...I may fill it out anyway and see what happens.

You should. When I was in college my parents were making right around 100K per year together and I still qualified.

Ranger Mom
02-01-2006, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by zeus63
You should. When I was in college my parents were making right around 100K per year together and I still qualified.

Okay...you've convinced me!!

AP Panther Fan
02-01-2006, 11:02 AM
Okay...you've convinced me!!

I'm not absolutely certain, but don't the colleges consider the information provided in the FAFSA for putting a plan together for the student...i.e. grants, work study, student loans etc?

This is the first year we have tackled this so every aspect has been a learning experience. By the time I get to my youngest, I should be a pro...but until then:eek: :mad:

Ranger Mom
02-01-2006, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
I'm not absolutely certain, but don't the colleges consider the information provided in the FAFSA for putting a plan together for the student...i.e. grants, work study, student loans etc?

This is the first year we have tackled this so every aspect has been a learning experience. By the time I get to my youngest, I should be a pro...but until then:eek: :mad:

This is my first go around with FASFA anyway. My daughter moved up a grade and will graduate early now...so now all of this is hitting us a lot sooner than we had planned!

AP Panther Fan
02-01-2006, 11:08 AM
This is my first go around with FASFA anyway. My daughter moved up a grade and will graduate early now...so now all of this is hitting us a lot sooner than we had planned!

I feel your pain daily. Everything seems to be moving at warp speed. SAT/ACT registrations/tests...college applications...FAFSA...campus visits.

It is a little overwhelming, maybe we should form a 3a Downlow support group or something. :D

cdlvj
02-01-2006, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan

I also believe that they use it when you apply for several schools, that once you get accepted, the others will deny you. ie so that you can't tell school B, school A is giving me this, what will you do for me. To prevent the student from getting a better deal somewhere else.

bigO
02-01-2006, 11:24 AM
This is my first go around with FASFA anyway. My daughter moved up a grade and will graduate early now...so now all of this is hitting us a lot sooner than we had planned! im going to college next year too, where is she thinking about going?

wompaskat
02-01-2006, 12:25 PM
I have way too much experience filling out the FAFSA. I have a son that is a junior at Baylor and another son going to a private school in Missouri. I will take every penny I get. Even after scholarship $$ Baylor is not real cheap. Oh and did I mention my other son attends a private university in Missouri? Each semester we have qualified for some money even though on paper our household income looks too high, (trust me, it's not). I almost did not apply because I thought we would not qualify, I was wrong. I am glad now I filled out that stinking form!!

No, schools can not and do not look at what other schools are giving based on the FAFSA. Each school has it's own criteria. My son who is now attending Baylor received different financial options from each of the 4 schools he had applied to. Each school is different.

And the moral of this story; Fill out the form, unless you are independently wealthy and just hate it when someone else gives you anything.

Ranger Mom
02-01-2006, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by bigO
im going to college next year too, where is she thinking about going?

There is a small school in Irving that is strictly geared toward careers in the medical field...which is what she wants to do.

She has decided she is too much of a small town girl to go to a big university.....of course none of this is set in stone yet.

With her only being 17 when she starts college, I think smaller is better too!!

eagles_victory
02-01-2006, 03:00 PM
There is a small school in Irving that is strictly geared toward careers in the medical field...which is what she wants to do.

She has decided she is too much of a small town girl to go to a big university.....of course none of this is set in stone yet.

With her only being 17 when she starts college, I think smaller is better too!! If you would of made her stay in Greenwood you wouldn't have to worry. :D

Ranger Mom
02-01-2006, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
If you would of made her stay in Greenwood you wouldn't have to worry. :D

Well everything is working out much better for her where she is.

Thanks for the advice though! I'm glad I listened to your brother rather than you!:p