PDA

View Full Version : Girl's Athletic Scholarships

Bullaholic
01-31-2006, 03:46 PM
Any HS girls out there getting any athletic scholarship grants? I remember 2 or 3 years ago, I saw a young lady from Sanger who ran away from everybody at a track meet. I think she got a "full ride" from A&M---I think her name was Ashley ?????

LH Panther Mom
01-31-2006, 04:07 PM
I'll have to do a better search to get the "where" details, but if I remember correctly, LP_06 (from Shepherd) will be on softball scholarship.

Etexpirate
01-31-2006, 05:10 PM
She got a ride to the University of Houston as a pitcher. This is her senior year at Shepherd HS and will she attend U of H in the fall.
She was looked at by several schools including OSU, but really wanted to go to U of H and major in Athletic Adminstration. So it was the perfect choice. We were pretty impressed with both the facilities and the program.
We are pretty dang proud!

LH Panther Mom
01-31-2006, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by Etexpirate
She got a ride to the University of Houston as a pitcher. This is her senior year at Shepherd HS and will she attend U of H in the fall.
She was looked at by several schools including OSU, but really wanted to go to U of H and major in Athletic Adminstration. So it was the perfect choice. We were pretty impressed with both the facilities and the program.
We are pretty dang proud!
Thanks! I thought it was in Houston, but couldn't remember for sure. You should be proud! :)

hookandladder
02-01-2006, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Any HS girls out there getting any athletic scholarship grants? I remember 2 or 3 years ago, I saw a young lady from Sanger who ran away from everybody at a track meet. I think she got a "full ride" from A&M---I think her name was Ashley ?????

It's great she received a scholarship, but to be honest I have never heard of a full scholarship.They may call it full but in actuallity it's usually comes out to about half. Most college's cannot afford to give full scholarship's, they have to split them in half. I know this is definitely true in baseball, I know 2 player's on the Texas Baseball right now. One receive's 1/2 and the other a 1/4.Not enough money to receive a full.The NCAA only allows so many Scholarship's to each school.

Old Tiger
02-01-2006, 10:29 AM
A girl from here signed with North Texas for softball(that was a while back though).

Etexpirate
02-01-2006, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by hookandladder
It's great she received a scholarship, but to be honest I have never heard of a full scholarship.They may call it full but in actuallity it's usually comes out to about half. Most college's cannot afford to give full scholarship's, they have to split them in half. I know this is definitely true in baseball, I know 2 player's on the Texas Baseball right now. One receive's 1/2 and the other a 1/4.Not enough money to receive a full.The NCAA only allows so many Scholarship's to each school.

How can D1 call it a full but it then tranlate into a half?

There are "fulls" that are given.. If they offer you a full ride..your letter states what percentage and how it applies towards tutition and housing. There are no suprises. They don't offer you a "full' and when you get the paper it suddenly translates into a 'half'.
D1 schools are pretty clear on what they are offering.

hookandladder
02-01-2006, 12:18 PM

There are "fulls" that are given.. If they offer you a full ride..your letter states what percentage and how it applies towards tutition and housing. There are no suprises. They don't offer you a "full' and when you get the paper it suddenly translates into a 'half'.

I received a D1 scholarship to play college baseball ( Full ride), 1/2 was tutition,fees and books, housing was not included. I know in baseball that they split scholarships up to sign more players. Talk to most any Athlete on a basball scholarship. I know we have had 4 girls in the last couple of years sign scholarships with no one coming close to a full ride. It is almost impossible for college's to give an athlete a full ride, I'am not saying it can not happen. I would think Cat at the Texas could have received a full ride. But how many athlete's like her come around these day's.

3afan
02-01-2006, 12:30 PM

all depends on how each school defines "full" ... for some full may mean tuition+fees+books, for another it may mean that+room & board ... I dont think there is a standard and its not regulated by the NCAA/NJCAA/NAIA ... and i'd bet the same would apply to D-II and NAIA since the only differences are the number of kids a school can have on scholarship at any one time.

i would agree with hookandladder that "full" scholarships are very rare in the non-revenue producing sports, softball included. example, a specific softball program may have 8 scholarships and most likely those will be divided up among 16, or more, players. of course there are exceptions ...

Z motion 10 out on 2
02-01-2006, 12:44 PM
D1's get more scholarships than D2's for the same sports. D2's get more than NAIA's and D3 does not offer athletic scholarships.

I have a daughter that is a sophomore this year. She runs cross country and track. We will make some unoffical visits to about 4 or 5 colleges this summer. Probably D'2 and a D3 (McMurry). Depending on how well she does in track will deterime where she will want to go. Of course she wants to go to Texas or A&M the big schools. But she will have to really improve in the next two years. In reality she probably has a shot at a D2 Lone Star Conference School. Tarleton, Eastern New Mexico, Angelo State, ACU (They are tough in track) Maybe East Central OK. Lots of things go into deciding where one should go much more than an athletic team which is why I would suggest unofficals visits to as many colleges as you can make. You never know what will happen over teh course of four or five years and your child should be happy at the college of her choice even if she was not to play sports any longer. You lose so much in transfer credits (believe me I know from my son's transfer).

There are a lot of opportunities for females and I hope to take advantage of it for my daughter.

Etexpirate
02-01-2006, 01:08 PM
Z you are very much on the right track. It is most important that your daughter choose a school that fits her academically and atheleticaly.

By going on the unofficial visits we were able to establish weather the academic support and course offerings would fit my daughter's career choice. In looking at different Atheletic programs, we were able to determine where she felt the most comfortable and enthusiastic about attending. These visits help you decide who you will accept official Visit offeres from as you only get 5. But you will find if your Daughter is exceptional in her atheletic field, you will be hearing offers on your unofficial visits.

Take your time and do your research. Your daughter can email coaches and test the waters as to the level of interest they have. Take advantage of this tool as it offeres you insight to the coaches themselves.

By making as many unofficials as you can stand and making email contacts, you will be ready when an offer is made.

My daughter's goal was to always play D1 and she never lost sight of that. Her hard work paid off and she got the school that she feels fits her and her Atheletic and Academic goals.

And as amazing as Cat Osterman is and deserving of all of her accomplishments... there are other kids that play amazing ball and get scholarships from D! schools...

Bee
02-01-2006, 01:26 PM
It really takes a great player to play D1 softball. I have seen alot of great ball players passed over. I have seen the Sheperd girl play she is the real deal. Congrats and good luck with your season.

Etexpirate
02-02-2006, 07:41 AM
Thanks for your kind words...
:)