PDA

View Full Version : I've heard it all now

44INAROW
01-31-2006, 11:34 AM
Our chocolate lab, Rio, has been having "gagging" attacks recently and we've been concerned he might have something lodged in his throat or something. He's been acting sluggish (might be due to the fact that he weighs 139 pounds :eek: ) but anyway.. hubby took him to the vet and it was discovered that Rio has Tonsilitis.. I never even thought about the poor baby having a sore throat or swollen tonsils :rolleyes: He's on antibiotics and got a shot so hopefully he'll be on the mend. I guess next we need to check his PSA since he's about 50 in human years. :) :) Seriously, I am so glad it was somthing so simple (hopefully) instead of having to "scope him"

Ranger Mom
01-31-2006, 11:39 AM
awwww.....poor Rio!!

Do they do tonsilectomy's on dogs?

44INAROW
01-31-2006, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
awwww.....poor Rio!!

Do they do tonsilectomy's on dogs?

I don't know, but I assume if it gets bad enough they do.. I sure hope we don't find out personally :nerd:

DaHop72
01-31-2006, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
I guess next we need to check his PSA since he's about 50 in human years. :) :)
Don't forget the colonoscopy:D :D

gobbler grad
01-31-2006, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by DaHop72
Don't forget the colonoscopy:D :D

now that would interesting...:( :eek: poor dog:thinking:

neck_06
01-31-2006, 02:13 PM
Get Better Rio!!!!

shankbear
01-31-2006, 02:13 PM
will they give the dog ice cream after the operatiopn? Vanilla dixie cup.

Ranger Mom
01-31-2006, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by shankbear
will they give the dog ice cream after the operatiopn? Vanilla dixie cup.

HaHa! That's the last thing Rio needs....unless it's low calorie!!

He's the biggest Lab I have EVER seen!!!

shankbear
01-31-2006, 04:00 PM
Put the pup on South Beach for Canines. The Zone? The Sonoma Diet.

44INAROW
01-31-2006, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by shankbear
Put the pup on South Beach for Canines. The Zone? The Sonoma Diet.

he's going to be doing some power walking with us - - no more table scraps either :)

Bullaholic
01-31-2006, 05:35 PM
Sounds like "Rio" may be short for "Rio Grande", 44IARow.

vet93
01-31-2006, 08:20 PM
Tonsilitis/tracheitis is very common in dogs...sometimes associated with allergies, sometimes associated with infection, sometimes associated with excessive barking. Usually clears up with a steriod shot and some antibiotics. That weight is way high for a lab....need to get it off...could make arthritis or hip dysplasia worse as he ages. Also...if the weight doesn't come off too well with lower calories and exericise....he may have hypothyroidism (underproduction of the thyroid gland) which slows metabolism and causes weight gain.

Bullaholic
01-31-2006, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by vet93
Tonsilitis/tracheitis is very common in dogs...sometimes associated with allergies, sometimes associated with infection, sometimes associated with excessive barking. Usually clears up with a steriod shot and some antibiotics. That weight is way high for a lab....need to get it off...could make arthritis or hip dysplasia worse as he ages. Also...if the weight doesn't come off too well with lower calories and exericise....he may have hypothyroidism (underproduction of the thyroid gland) which slows metabolism and causes weight gain.

Dang, Vet93---What do you think you are....some kind of a veternarian or something? :D

vet93
01-31-2006, 09:17 PM
No....but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express once......:D

Originally posted by Bullaholic
Dang, Vet93---What do you think you are....some kind of a veternarian or something? :D

SintonFan
01-31-2006, 09:22 PM
No....but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express once......:D
lol
Hey vet93, can I impose on you a question about dogs(or about my new puppy's breed)? And seek some advice?
I'll pm you if that's acceptable.:)

vet93
01-31-2006, 09:58 PM
I would be glad to answer any question that you may have either on the forum or by pm...just let me know.

Originally posted by SintonFan
lol
Hey vet93, can I impose on you a question about dogs(or about my new puppy's breed)? And seek some advice?
I'll pm you if that's acceptable.:)

Ranger Mom
01-31-2006, 10:01 PM
I would be glad to answer any question that you may have either on the forum or by pm...just let me know.

Do we need to create a forum for ya? We can call it.."ask the vet":D :D

vet93
01-31-2006, 10:23 PM
It would be a very short and boring forum.....
Possible Topics:
- Diarrhea...the misunderstood symptom
- I.P. Freely....and so does your tom cat
- Why cats always vomit on carpet and never tile
- Why my dog barks at the wind blowing but doesn't say a peep when a 6'4" ax murder is looking in my window.
- Why dogs prefer chewing $200 tennis shoes over rawhide bones.
- Why cats always rub on the legs of people who hate them or are allergic to them.

Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Do we need to create a forum for ya? We can call it.."ask the vet":D :D

SintonFan
01-31-2006, 10:26 PM
Whatever is best for you vet93. I just don't what RM metioned to become a reality.:D

vet93
01-31-2006, 10:29 PM
Send me a pm

Whatever is best for you vet93. I just don't what RM metioned to become a reality.:D

44INAROW
01-31-2006, 10:29 PM
Thanks for the scoop Vet.. he does have allergies.. More often in the summer months..For that, he takes DEPO shots (I think that's steroids isn't it) starting about mid May and gets one every 6 weeks or so - when he has had the Depo shots, he drinks massive amounts of water, but our vet said that's common - he's on antibiotics - 2 green pills a day for 5 days. He'll be 7 in May - We're going to make an effort to get his weight down and get him more exercise :)

SintonFan
01-31-2006, 11:05 PM
It would be a very short and boring forum.....
Possible Topics:
- Diarrhea...the misunderstood symptom
- I.P. Freely....and so does your tom cat
- Why cats always vomit on carpet and never tile
- Why my dog barks at the wind blowing but doesn't say a peep when a 6'4" ax murder is looking in my window.
- Why dogs prefer chewing $200 tennis shoes over rawhide bones.
- Why cats always rub on the legs of people who hate them or are allergic to them.
1- Diarrhea...the misunderstood symptom

Does this apply to only dogs or cats?
2- I.P. Freely....and so does your tom cat

and so does my not so tom cat...
3- Why cats always vomit on carpet and never tile

Becuase we all know cats are vindicative...
4- Why my dog barks at the wind blowing but doesn't say a peep when a 6'4" ax murder is looking in my window.

That's a sign that that '6'4" murderer is another Melendez brother...
5- Why dogs prefer chewing $200 tennis shoes over rawhide bones.

It's because the dog feels like it's being neglected.
6- Why cats always rub on the legs of people who hate them or are allergic to them.

see answer to no. 3
Hey, do I qualify for Vet school now?:D

vet93
01-31-2006, 11:26 PM
Man....you mastered all of my really really tough topics........I guess you qualify as an official "DVM" (Downlow Veterinary Master)...Congratulations! I will send you a bill for your licensing fee in the morning!

1- Diarrhea...the misunderstood symptom

Does this apply to only dogs or cats?
2- I.P. Freely....and so does your tom cat

and so does my not so tom cat...
3- Why cats always vomit on carpet and never tile

Becuase we all know cats are vindicative...
4- Why my dog barks at the wind blowing but doesn't say a peep when a 6'4" ax murder is looking in my window.

That's a sign that that '6'4" murderer is another Melendez brother...
5- Why dogs prefer chewing $200 tennis shoes over rawhide bones.

It's because the dog feels like it's being neglected.
6- Why cats always rub on the legs of people who hate them or are allergic to them.

see answer to no. 3
Hey, do I qualify for Vet school now?:D

SintonFan
01-31-2006, 11:32 PM
Man....you mastered all of my really really tough topics........I guess you qualify as an official "DVM" (Downlow Veterinary Master)...Congratulations! I will send you a bill for your licensing fee in the morning!
lol
I think I'll just stay in the industry I know best...
I'm drowning in debt anyway.:D

Gp83
02-01-2006, 08:02 AM
I had a dog who had same problem and it was heart worms.