PDA

View Full Version : Has Oscar gone fruity?

piratebg
01-31-2006, 10:00 AM
Brokeback Mountain leads the Oscar race with 8 nominations including: Best Actor(Ledger), Best Picture, Best Director(Ang Lee), Best Supporting Actor(Gyllenhaal), Best Supporting Actress(Michelle Williams), Best Screenplay Based on Previously Produced/Published Material, Best Cinematography and Best Original Score

JasperDog94
01-31-2006, 10:04 AM
Any movie that pushes the boundaries of what is socially acceptable always gets nominations. Before long, you'll hear how great it is that we explore the love story between a man and a boy and how society shouldn't keep their love apart.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

STANG RED
01-31-2006, 10:05 AM
Its Hollyweird ya know! I would expect nothing less.

piratebg
01-31-2006, 10:08 AM
None of the movies nominated for Best Picture were "blockbusters" this past year. Who do you guys think should have been nominated?

pirate44
01-31-2006, 10:08 AM
it was a pretty forgettable year for hollywood

lostaussie
01-31-2006, 10:18 AM
i don't know if they have gone fruity, but i think they have gone NUTS.

Phil C
01-31-2006, 10:57 AM
You never know what oscar is going to do. There have been some best picture winners that probably wouldn't have been nominated the next year. You get good years and bad years. One example was the winner Gigi that won in 1958. It wouldn't have had a chance against 1959's Ben Hur. In fact some of the 1959 nominees would have probably won if they had been realeased a year earlier such as North by Northwest and Anatomy of a Murder.

Fortunately it is the movie goers that decided if a movie is successful and that is at the box office. One of Hollywood's most popular actors and biggest money maker in the 70s Burt Reynolds never could get nominated even for his great performance in Deliverance. One time when asked about it he said "Sometimes Hollywood just doesn't like what the people like."