View Full Version : Dat Nguyen fans

pirate44
01-31-2006, 07:07 AM
http://mas.scripps.com/CCCT/2006/01/31/p-7dat0131_e.jpg

The end?
Nguyen visits Rockport for what could be farewell tour

By Greg Rajan Caller-Times
January 31, 2006

ROCKPORT - The line of fans went out the door and around the building, so there was no lack of books for Dat Nguyen to sign on Monday.

While he hasn't officially closed the book on his pro football career, Nguyen acknowledged the final chapter isn't too far away from being written.

The Dallas Cowboys linebacker and former Rockport-Fulton and Texas A&M standout was back home for a book signing and judging by his words, is ready to call it a career after a remarkable run on the gridiron.

"I've still got a couple of weeks to sit down and do a final evaluation of where I stand," Nguyen said. "I'm not (leaning any particular way), but if anything, it doesn't look good and I'm going to do what's best for my health and my family. The game has been good to me and I had a good run. When I first started in this game as a profession, I knew that one day it was going to end."

Nguyen, 30, has spent all seven of his pro seasons with the Cowboys. He missed eight games in 2005 after suffering a neck injury during the third game of the season. He missed three games and returned for four more but was placed on season-ending injured reserve on Nov. 29.

"The neck is fine," Nguyen said. "I hurt my knee pretty bad at the beginning of the year and in training camp. When I hurt my neck, it was just over the top. It was just too much stuff going on."

A play during week four at Oakland provided a warning sign for Nguyen.

"I knew I had (Lamont Jordan) tackled, and I couldn't get there," Nguyen said. "From then on, I knew something was wrong. You know your body better than anybody else and when the body tells you something that you don't want to hear, you better listen.

"You've got to sit back and see if you want to walk with a cane. I've got two little girls and I want to be able to play with them five years down the road and roll around in the grass or whatever it is we do. I'd rather be a normal (person)."

As for a post-playing career, Nguyen ruled out coaching - "It's too hard" - and said charity work was a top priority. He also has no regrets about his career, which has been remarkable considering the story of him and his family. Nguyen was born in a refugee camp in Vietnam, and his family fled the country after the fall of Saigon in 1975, eventually making their way to Rockport.

"I never even thought I'd play college ball, much less play in the NFL," Nguyen said. "It's been a great ride. I played this game and it's a great game and it was fun, but I knew that it was going to end and that chapter of your life is going to close one day."

Contact Greg Rajan at 886-3747 or HYPERLINK mailto:rajang@caller.com rajang@caller.com

Phil C
01-31-2006, 09:33 AM
Thanks for the memories Dat if you retire.

piratebg
01-31-2006, 09:33 AM
I really hate to see Dat go. He was an inspirational player who showed it's not the size of the dog in the fight. My wife, who is not a football or Cowboy fan, saw this story on the news last night and was amazed. She saw his highlights from the past couple of years and was amazed at how good he was, despite his lack of size. His commitment to charity work and his overall personality during his interview impressed her enough to call herself a fan of Dat Nguyen.

JasperDog94
01-31-2006, 09:34 AM
Sounds like his run is over. He's got a great attitude about it though.

GATAPride77
01-31-2006, 10:13 AM
Dat is just an old school footbal player. Not all that big or fast but has that un-coachable sixth sense of being able to make plays.

Good Luck Dat

footballgal
01-31-2006, 11:51 AM
Got to see him play in High School and the NFL, he is one of my all time favorite players.

Best wishes to him and his family!

sww-bull52
01-31-2006, 11:56 AM
I've been a Dat fan since I first saw him in college. Always has been and always will be a great person.

Thanks for being you Dat.

Maroon87
01-31-2006, 12:16 PM
He has that same thing that Troy Polamalu has...just always around the ball. If this is it, it's been fun. Good job Dat!:)

NateDawg39
01-31-2006, 01:14 PM
Dang I hope it isnt really the end of Nguyen!

Bearkat
01-31-2006, 01:26 PM
Another positive role model for everyone. People said he was too small for the NFL. He didn't let this stop him. He worked hard and never gave up. I'm glad he was a COWBOY. This gave me the chance to watch him every sunday. It's too bad that injuries will force him away from the game he loves.

pirate44
01-31-2006, 01:27 PM
i hope the cowboys give him the recognition he deserves