Lonesome dove
Streets of laredo!

all 3 are GREAT!

sinton66
01-30-2006, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
Tony, looks like you forgot one

Brokeback Mountain! :D

I'm afraid you have me confused with someone else.

Cameronbystander
01-30-2006, 08:42 PM
The Searchers (great movie)

The Quick and the Dead

big daddy russ
01-30-2006, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
I'm afraid you have me confused with someone else.
Ranger Mom?:D

My favorite is still The Professionals. Also like The Magnificent Seven, El Dorado, Sons of Katie Elder, Chisum (let's just say all John Wayne movies), Hang 'em High and The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

pirate44
01-30-2006, 09:47 PM
Shane
Unforgiven
Young Guns

Bullaholic
01-30-2006, 09:49 PM
Anybody want to hazard a guess as to which western will "top" Phil C's list? :D

pirate44
01-30-2006, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Anybody want to hazard a guess as to which western will "top" Phil C's list? :D
oo oo oo...pick me, pick me!! :D

Bullaholic
01-30-2006, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by pirate44
oo oo oo...pick me, pick me!! :D

Run with it P44....

pirate44
01-30-2006, 09:59 PM
And the very best Clint Eastwood western ever..... The Unforgiven

And my latest favorite..... Open Range.
agreed!!

And my latest favorite..... Open Range.
i forgot that one. nice pick

pirate44
01-30-2006, 10:01 PM
Run with it P44....
could it happen to be Dawn at Socorro ?

Bullaholic
01-30-2006, 10:04 PM

Magnificent, P44!

formermbcouns
01-30-2006, 10:04 PM
TV Series...Gunsmoke

Movie...Silverado

sinton66
01-30-2006, 10:15 PM
Magnificent, P44!

I would have guessed "Paint Your Wagon".:D

piratebg
01-31-2006, 08:14 AM
Young Guns I & II
The Quick and the Dead
Tombstone
Unforgiven
Back to the Future III

Phil C
01-31-2006, 09:22 AM

Right you are 44! Dawn at Socorro - the great western made in 1954 with Rory Calhoun, Piper Laurie, Alex Nicol, Lee Van Clef (who was in the Good, Bad &Ugly), David Brian, and Edgar Buchannan.

Other great westerns are High Noon with Gary Cooper and The Ox Bow Incident with Henry Fonda (both are considered Classics) and don't forget Three Ten to Yuma with Glenn Ford. I never cared for it but Stagecoach with John Wayne is also a classic.

Also Samson and the Slave Queen with Piere Brice and Alan Steel is a great semi western in which Zorro meets Samson.

Some great silent movies are Greed and Mark of Zorro and Wind and of course Something New.

And don't forget 1903's great 11 minute movie The Great Train Robbery.

Audie Murphy made many great western movies such as Ride a Crooked Trail, Hell Bent for Leather and of course No Name on the Bullet.

Randolph Scott also comes to mind with Seven Men from Now, Buchannan Rides Alone (very good) and The Bounty Hunter.

Rod Cameron made many westerns and his best was the great Ride the Man Down which also starred Brian Dolavy, Chill Wills and Jim Davis (who became famous as Jock Ewing in the series Dallas).

And don't forget all the great Roy Rogers, Gene Autry and Hopalong Casidy movies. James Stewart made great westerns like Bend of the River and Winchester 73.

Hombre with Pual Newman and Frederick March was a great offbeat western and Newman was great in the movie Outrage and even starred as Billy the Kid in the great psychological western The Left Handed Gun.

So many great westerns and I am sure that I will think of many more to add but Dawn at Socorro was the best.

Phil C
01-31-2006, 09:31 AM
I also overlooked the great classic Shane made in 1953 with Alan Ladd, Van Heflin, Jean Arthur, Jack Palance and Edgar Buchannan. Many good westerns were made but were not famous such as The Stagecoach to Dancer's Rock with Warren Stevens and Martin Landu (who won oscar for playing Bela Lugosi). The Kingston Trio sang a great title song for this movies. And don't forget Kirk Douglas and Anthony Quinn for Last Train from Gun Hill and Quinn was also great in The Ride Back which also starred William Conrad (Cannon).

Some great tv western series were

Wanted Dead or Alive with Steve McQueen (always consistently good)

Tombstone Territory with Pat Conway (Magnificient series)

The Rifleman was popular even though I never really cared for it much.

Cimmaron with Stuart Whitman was great but was dropped right after the 1968 assasinations because it was considered too violent.

Paladin was good consistently.

STANG RED
01-31-2006, 09:47 AM
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. Ja Ja Ja Jimmy Stewart & John Wayne

The Outlaw Josey Whales. Best Clint Eastwood movie ever!

War Wagon

Paint Your Wagon

Call of the Wild

The Good The Bad And The Ugly

I'll stop here, because I could go on and on and on.

DaHop72
01-31-2006, 09:54 AM
McClintock with John Wayne. I loved Paint Your Wagon have my own copy, but Clint singing "I Talk To The Trees" is without a doubt nearly unbearable to listen to.

lostaussie
01-31-2006, 10:25 AM
does "Hidalgo" count as a western. i thought this was a cool movie.

Maroon87
01-31-2006, 10:33 AM
I liked "Open Range" too...great performance by Robert Duvall.

"By God Button...if you're gonna pick your feet like a monkey, you get downwind!"

Phil C
01-31-2006, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Maroon87
I liked "Open Range" too...great performance by Robert Duvall.

"By God Button...if you're gonna pick your feet like a monkey, you get downwind!"

That was a great movie Maroon87 with great performances by the entire cast but the dialog between Robert Duvall and Kevin Costner was great!

Also Missing with Tommy Lee Jones was great.

Ranger Mom
01-31-2006, 10:59 AM
WOW!! I need to get out more, or maybe stay home more....depends on which way you look at it.

Out of ALL those movies listed on all the threads I have seen "Young Guns" and "Back to the Future III"

LH Panther Mom
01-31-2006, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
Also Missing with Tommy Lee Jones was great.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

AP Panther Fan
01-31-2006, 11:44 AM
1994 release of Wyatt Earp starring

Kevin Costner .... Wyatt Earp
Dennis Quaid .... Doc Holliday
Gene Hackman .... Nicholas Earp

pirate44
01-31-2006, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
1994 release of Wyatt Earp starring

Kevin Costner .... Wyatt Earp
Dennis Quaid .... Doc Holliday
Gene Hackman .... Nicholas Earp
i havent seen that one or tombstone or lonesome dove. all 3 are on a lot of peoples "favorites" list

sww-bull52
01-31-2006, 12:00 PM
Does anyone remember "McKenna's Gold"? I'm not sure about the spelling.

DaHop72
01-31-2006, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by sww-bull52
Does anyone remember "McKenna's Gold"? I'm not sure about the spelling.
Is that the one that Spencer Tracy starred in?????

icu812
01-31-2006, 12:12 PM
Any of you fans of the "Trinity" movies? I think they are "Trinity" and "Trinitys still my name" or something like that. Funny stuff. Cant think of the lead actors name.......

sww-bull52
01-31-2006, 12:12 PM
I can't remember. All I remember is that I saw it along time ago and really liked it. May have to see if I can find it somewhere.

DaHop72
01-31-2006, 12:19 PM
I can't remember. All I remember is that I saw it along time ago and really liked it. May have to see if I can find it somewhere.
Bull, it was McKenna's Gold. Cast was a who's who's of stars: Peck, Shariff, Savalas, Wynn, Cassidy, Cobb, Meredith, Robinson and Wallach.

sww-bull52
01-31-2006, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by DaHop72
Bull, it was McKenna's Gold. Cast was a who's who's of stars: Peck, Shariff, Savalas, Wynn, Cassidy, Cobb, Meredith, Robinson and Wallach.

Thanks. That would have drove me crazy all day.

Phil C
01-31-2006, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by icu812
Any of you fans of the "Trinity" movies? I think they are "Trinity" and "Trinitys still my name" or something like that. Funny stuff. Cant think of the lead actors name.......

The two actors were Terrence Hill and Bud Spencer. They made several movies together besides the Trinity movies. One was where they were airplane pilots. They made a great western in 1968 called Ace High with Eli Wallach which is still sometimes shown on the Western Channel.

sww-bull52
01-31-2006, 12:25 PM
How about "A Man Called Horse"?

icu812
01-31-2006, 12:29 PM
The two actors were Terrence Hill and Bud Spencer. They made several movies together besides the Trinity movies. One was where they were airplane pilots. They made a great western in 1968 called Ace High with Eli Wallach which is still sometimes shown on the Western Channel.

Thanks. The Trinity movies are two of my favorites. I havent seen Ace High, I'll have to watch for that one on the WC.

Maroon87
01-31-2006, 12:29 PM

I've got that Encore Westerns channel Phil...good stuff! "High Plains Drifter" was on Sunday night and "Chisum" last night.:cool:

Phil C
01-31-2006, 12:32 PM
How about "A Man Called Horse"?

A good one too sww! They made another movie The Return of a Man Called Horse. Both starred the great actor Richard Harris who was in many great movies including the Clint Eastwood movie Unforgiven where he plays English Bob. He was also in Mutiny on the Bounty with Marlon Brando and many people don't know it but when he first started out he had a small part in the great movie The Guns of Navarrone. He is the one of the pilots at the first part of the movie that critizes the leaders for sending pilots on a suicide mission. He uses the word bloody many times in his lines.

Phil C
01-31-2006, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
I've got that Encore Westerns channel Phil...good stuff! "High Plains Drifter" was on Sunday night and "Chisum" last night.:cool:

Those were great movies. John and Clint were great in westerns. Pale Rider is shown sometimes too and it is great.

piratebg
01-31-2006, 12:36 PM
My wife was telling me about a movie she liked called the Santa Fe Trail. Is this a good movie? I had never heard of it before, but she said it was pretty good.

HighSchool Fan
01-31-2006, 12:42 PM
best western ever has to be The Villian :D

piratebg
01-31-2006, 12:44 PM
By far the best western ever to hit the big screen is

BLAZING SADDLES
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

HighSchool Fan
01-31-2006, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by piratebg
By far the best western ever to hit the big screen is

BLAZING SADDLES
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

as good as that was. the good guy in The Villian had the best name of anyone. he was named after his dad. does anyone know what his name was?? :D

NateDawg39
01-31-2006, 01:13 PM
I always liked "Have Gun Will Travel".
and Of course any John Wayne film is good for me!:)

AP Panther Fan
01-31-2006, 01:28 PM
A couple of old, musical westerns I liked were....

Paint Your Wagon (1969)

Plot Summary: A Michigan farmer and a prospector form a partnership in the California gold country. Their adventures include buying and sharing a wife...

Lee Marvin .... Ben Rumson
Clint Eastwood .... Pardner

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (1954)

Adam, the eldest of seven brothers, goes to town to get a wife. He convinces Milly to marry him that same day. They return to his backwoods home. Only then does she discover he has six brothers -- all living in his cabin. Milly sets out to reform the uncouth siblings, who are anxious to get wives of their own. Then, after reading about the Roman capture of the Sabine women, Adam develops an inspired solution to his brothers' loneliness . . . kidnap the women they want!

slpybear the bullfan
01-31-2006, 01:40 PM
Open Range was just fantastic.

Lots of others have already been mentioned... Tombstone, Wyatt Earp, The Searchers, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, Lonesome Dove...

How about some others I didn't see listed...

How the West was Won.
The Long Riders... ABSOLUTELY GREAT.
Major Dundee
Legends of the Fall
Two Mules for Sister Sarah

Waaay to many here for me to list!

AP Panther Fan
01-31-2006, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan
How about some others I didn't see listed...

Legends of the Fall

I forgot about that one!

Brad Pitt :inlove:

pirate44
01-31-2006, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
I forgot about that one!

Brad Pitt :inlove:
:rolleyes:

DaHop72
01-31-2006, 02:10 PM
Man, forgot about the Long Riders. One of the first movies that showed the true recoil of a firearm, and one of the first that showed bullets actually striking bodies.

turbostud
01-31-2006, 03:47 PM
Red Headed Stranger

Barbarosa

The Last Days of Frank and Jesse James w/ Willie, Kris, and Johnny Cash

Phil C
01-31-2006, 04:08 PM
Another good one with Kirk Douglas and Johnny Cash was 1971's A Gunfight! This was one good movie with Kirk giving his usual great performance and Cash was excellent in his (I thought he should have got an oscar nomination). This movie was much underrated when first released so don't miss it.

And The Seachers was great indeed as has already been mentioned. Who can forget John Wayne's parting shot at the end.

pirate4state
01-31-2006, 04:16 PM
i havent seen that one or tombstone or lonesome dove. all 3 are on a lot of peoples "favorites" list You haven't seen Tombstone???? :eek: :eek:

pirate44
01-31-2006, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
You haven't seen Tombstone???? :eek: :eek:
i just havent gotten around to it.

pirate4state
01-31-2006, 04:30 PM
i just havent gotten around to it. :doh: It was released in 1993!!! Get with the program buddy! ;)

BreckTxLonghorn
01-31-2006, 04:35 PM
Tombstone ( I watch it every time its on tv)
The Wild Bunch
...and I really want to say All The Pretty Horses, because its one of my favorite novels ever, if not the favorite, but they butchered the movie of it--so read this one!

olddawggreen
01-31-2006, 09:40 PM
Culpepper Cattle Company
Cheyene Social Club
Will Penny
My all time favorite is Lonesome Dove, because thats the way it was!:D

pantherpop
01-31-2006, 09:57 PM
I'm gonna mention 2 old westerns that I always liked but haven't been mentioned. One had Henry Fonda in it and I think it was called Hard Times. The bad guy in that one was a famous actor but I can't remember his name. Another one that I liked starred Chuck Conners of Rifleman fame and it was called Ride Beyond Vengance. It also had Bill Bixby plus a couple other well known stars that I can't think of their names.

turbostud
02-01-2006, 01:00 AM
Hud starring Paul Newman

Phil C
02-01-2006, 03:14 AM
Originally posted by pantherpop
I'm gonna mention 2 old westerns that I always liked but haven't been mentioned. One had Henry Fonda in it and I think it was called Hard Times. The bad guy in that one was a famous actor but I can't remember his name. Another one that I liked starred Chuck Conners of Rifleman fame and it was called Ride Beyond Vengance. It also had Bill Bixby plus a couple other well known stars that I can't think of their names.
panther that was a good movie with Fonda and it was Welcome to Hard Times. The bad guy was Aldo Ray.
Another great Henry Fonda movie was Warlock which also had Richard Widmark, Anthony Quinn and Dorothy Malone.

Phil C
02-01-2006, 09:30 AM
It was not a western but was set in England in 1906. Aldo Ray was one of the robbers in the movie The Day They Robbed the Bank of England based on a true story. They were caught by the alertness of guard Peter O'Toole in one of his first movies. The movie ends when Ray and two of his men are caught. The politics was that they were robbing the bank to give part of it to the Irish who were revolting against England but with an agreement the Irish called the robbery off but Ray and the other two continued to attemp the robbery but were caught and sentenced to 20 years in prison. Ray's character along with another were pardoned early to serve in the World War 2 Years. One of the robbers had already died in prison and the other one was killed in action during the war. Ray's character survived and he married one of the Irish ladies that was originally part of the Irish robbery conspiracy. Ray's character obtained employment with a manufacturing company and worked until he passed away in 1938.

pantherpop
02-01-2006, 07:58 PM
I just remembered another old one that was good. It was Nevada Smith and it starred Steve McQueen with Brian Keith and Karl Malden. Yet another was Alveraz Kelly starring Richard Widmark (one of my favorite actors).

Phil C
02-01-2006, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by pantherpop
I just remembered another old one that was good. It was Nevada Smith and it starred Steve McQueen with Brian Keith and Karl Malden. Yet another was Alveraz Kelly starring Richard Widmark (one of my favorite actors).

William Holden was also in Alveraz Kelly.

Bullaholic
02-01-2006, 09:10 PM
"Hombre" was another good Paul Newman western.

"Mister....You got some hard bark on you."

Phil C
02-01-2006, 09:26 PM
"Hombre" was another good Paul Newman western.

"Mister....You got some hard bark on you."

That was a great movie Bull! It also starred Richard Boone as the main villain and Frederick March as a crooked Indian agent.

Daddy D 11
02-01-2006, 09:28 PM
No doubt, The 3 Spagetti Westerns(The good the bad and the ugly, A Fistful of Dollars and For a few dollars more) The music and sound effects of the guns in these movies is unbeatable. Also The Searchers is a great movie