PDA

View Full Version : AP's Tommy Blake- CFN Mountain West Def. POY

big daddy russ
01-30-2006, 04:46 PM
2005 CFN All-MWest Team

Defensive Player of the Year
Tommy Blake, DE TCU
The best defensive player on the Mountain West's best defense, Blake was a strong pass rusher all season long with six sacks and 12.5 tackles for loss, but he wasn't just a sack man. There were few stronger linemen against the run finishing fifth on the team with 55 tackles.

2005 Collegefootballnews.com All-Mountain West Team
Defense
DL - Tommy Blake, Soph, TCU
DL - Steve Fifita, Sr. Utah
DL - Dusty Hoffschneider, Sr. Wyoming
DL - Chase Ortiz, Soph. TCU
LB - Beau Bell, Soph. UNLV
LB - Mike Mohoric, Sr. New Mexico
LB - Spencer Toone, Sr. Utah
DB - Quincy Butler, Sr. TCU
DB - Marcus Demps, Sr. San Diego State
DB - Gabriel Fulbright, Sr. New Mexico
DB - Eric Weddle, Jr. Utah
P - Michael Hughes, Soph. San Diego State
PR - Cory Rodgers, Jr. TCU

Top 30 players regardless of position
Based on the season the player had
1. RB DonTrell Moore, Sr. New Mexico
2. DE Tommy Blake, Soph. TCU
3. S Eric Weddle, Jr. Utah
4. RB Curtis Brown, Jr. BYU
5. WR Jovon Bouknight, Sr. Wyoming
6. QB Jeff Ballard, Jr. TCU
7. QB Brian Johnson, Soph. Utah
8. TE Jonny Harline, Soph. BYU
9. DT Steve Fifita, Sr. Utah
10. LB Spencer Toone, Sr. Utah...

Top Defensive Linemen
1. Tommy Blake, TCU
2. Steve Fifita, Utah
3. Chase Ortiz, TCU
4. D. Hoffschneider, Wy.
5. Evroy Thompson, N Mex

Link (http://collegefootballnews.com/Mountain_West/2005_Pages/All_MWest.htm)

pirate4state
01-30-2006, 04:50 PM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: AWESOME!!! :clap:

AP Panther Fan
01-30-2006, 05:04 PM
Thanks for posting that Russ! What a great honor for this extremely nice young man. Aransas Pass is very proud of him!

(and he's just a sophmore)..... :cool:

District303aPastPlayer
01-30-2006, 08:51 PM
Heck yeah i played agaisnt that dude! Good Job Mr Blake!

big daddy russ
01-30-2006, 08:59 PM
Wonder if there are any other former-3Aers out there who've received awards.

Crazy story, my brother was a senior when Tommy was a junior. Little bro said Tommy wasn't much of a football player, couldn't see him doing much in college. Tommy still rushed for 1,000 yards, but was shy about contact even though he was twice as big as everyone else. AP's stud "football player" that year was a kid named Leon Belfon.

But somewhere in between Tommy's junior and senior years the light went on. He was a monster his senior year and just about never left the field. 2,100 yards, about 260 of those against fourth-ranked Sinton, and (if I remember right) 82 tackles as a part-time rover. Not bad.

Still one of the best kids you'll ever meet.

District303aPastPlayer
01-30-2006, 10:54 PM
Leon Belfon, Marcus Brown, Tommy Blake, Delfino Flores... man, AP does have a great talent pool... wish they'd get more exposure to recruiting though...

big daddy russ
01-31-2006, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
Leon Belfon, Marcus Brown, Tommy Blake, Delfino Flores... man, AP does have a great talent pool... wish they'd get more exposure to recruiting though...
AP has had more raw talent than anyone else in the district for the past 7-8 years, Sinton's just harnessed what they have better. The Pack had enough talent to win a D2 State Title Tommy's senior year. The only D2 team I saw that could even touch AP's talent level that year was Marlin.

Hannibal
01-31-2006, 09:31 AM
I am very proud of Tommy. He is a great guy and will go far in life. I had the opportunity to coach him and will never forget the sheer determination he had his senior year. If he hadn't gotten hurt in the PI game, we would have gone a lot farther.