View Full Version : Texomaland 3A/4A Coach and Player of the Year

HighSchool Fan
01-30-2006, 10:49 AM
Sports

Coach of the Year
A storied start for Cordell

By Jason Della Rosa
Herald Democrat

GAINESVILLE — Taking nothing away from the year he won a state title in his first season at Gainesville, head coach Jeff Cordell was extremely pleased with how this year’s team finished.

“We were very successful this season,” Cordell said. “I think we did more with the talent this season than we did when we won it all.”

Gainesville went 14-1 in 2005 and that lone defeat came against Wimberley in the 3A Division I state title game.

Winning as become quite commonplace under the Herald Democrat All-Texomaland Class 3A-4A Coach of the Year, who is 37-5 in three seasons at Gainesville.

But with all the success comes raised expectations for a coach who has won every district game and is 10-2 in the postseason.

Of course, as with any program, the expectations start at the top.

“A lot of teams would have loved to be in our shoes — two state final games in the last three years,” Cordell said. “If there’s any pressure, I place it on myself because I want to win.”

Sports

Most Valuable Player
It’s always Miller Time

By Jason Della Rosa
Herald Democrat

GAINESVILLE — Michael Miller spent much of his high school career as a linebacker. He started as a sophomore for Gainesville’s state championship team and two years later he became more involved on the offensive side of the ball.

He began at receiver but was moved to running back after a rash of injuries.

The switch went without a hitch, as Miller rushed for 1,426 yards, 23 touchdowns and seven two-point conversions as Gainesville lost only one game — the 3A Division I state title tilt.

“I hit people on defense and I do the same thing on offense,” Miller said. “I just have a ball in my hand.”

Defensively, he finished with 89 tackles (71 solo) to go with 14.5 sacks, 16 quarterback pressures and six forced fumbles.

His play earned him the accolade as District 6-3A's top player as well as the Herald Democrat All-Texomaland Class 3A-4A Most Valuable Player.