PDA

View Full Version : 20 years after Challenger explosion

pirate44
01-28-2006, 12:48 PM
i remember the exact moment. i was in Mrs. Laughlin's 8th grade English class. when someone came in the classroom saying the Challenger exploded. it made me tear up. later in the day we watched the news in coach K's history class. i had always wanted to be an astronaut and i fealt so bad for the families. this was the first tragedy that burned in my mind where i could remember the exact time and place i was.the other 2 was 9-11 and the 2nd shuttle tragedy (columbia)

SnyTigBaseB07
01-28-2006, 12:55 PM
I obviously wasnt around for this, but i remember the first time i saw the clip on like CNN it was amazing that something like that could happen. It just blew my mind and it got all teary eyed and what not.

I was around for 9/11 though. I was in Ms. Blevins 2nd period Science, and the tv just popped on and we saw the first plane hit and then the bell rang, but no one got up and we all sat there and watched it for until lunch, but no one could eat. It was a terrible day that day .

pirate44
01-28-2006, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by SnyTigBaseB07
I obviously wasnt around for this, but i remember the first time i saw the clip on like CNN it was amazing that something like that could happen. It just blew my mind and it got all teary eyed and what not.

I was around for 9/11 though. I was in Ms. Blevins 2nd period Science, and the tv just popped on and we saw the first plane hit and then the bell rang, but no one got up and we all sat there and watched it for until lunch, but no one could eat. It was a terrible day that day .
i was listening to the 9/11 attacks on the radio at work. there was continue mention of other buildings being hit and i truly thought the world was ending. when i went home for lunch, i saw the massive U.S. flag at the Saturn car dealership flying at half mast and i broke down and cried. what a terrible day that was.

SnyTigBaseB07
01-28-2006, 01:03 PM
I cried too on 9/11, but it was one of those angry cries like when you're so mad that you can control anything. I dont rememeber to many things in our history that really make me cry. But i remember at the end of the day back when i was like 12 or so I told myself i'd join the military, and still think I may. By god i'll be fighting in no time.

pirate44
01-28-2006, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by SnyTigBaseB07
one of those angry cries like when you're so mad that you can control anything.
i know exactly waht you mean.

AP Panther Fan
01-30-2006, 12:05 PM
I watched a great program this past weekend that took you step by step through the space program. It's called Failure is not an Option on the History Channel. Not many of us can watch it tomorrow afternoon, but keep an eye open for it to show again.

Tune In:
Tuesday, January 31 @ 2pm ET/PT

Based on the best-selling memoir by retired NASA Flight Director Gene Kranz, this 2-hour program tells the story of Mission Control during America's race to the Moon. For all the publicity about the astronauts, the men of Mission Control remain largely unknown to the public. Yet when President Kennedy challenged the nation to reach the moon, these young engineers were the ones who had to make it happen. Join us as these unlauded heroes tell their story for the first time.

pirate44
01-30-2006, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
I watched a great program this past weekend that took you step by step through the space program. It's called Failure is not an Option on the History Channel. Not many of us can watch it tomorrow afternoon, but keep an eye open for it to show again.

Tune In:
Tuesday, January 31 @ 2pm ET/PT

Based on the best-selling memoir by retired NASA Flight Director Gene Kranz, this 2-hour program tells the story of Mission Control during America's race to the Moon. For all the publicity about the astronauts, the men of Mission Control remain largely unknown to the public. Yet when President Kennedy challenged the nation to reach the moon, these young engineers were the ones who had to make it happen. Join us as these unlauded heroes tell their story for the first time.
yet another downfall to not having cable tv :(

AP Panther Fan
01-30-2006, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by pirate44
yet another downfall to not having cable tv :(

You need to breakdown and just get the basic cable....Mikey needs Nickelodeon and Disney...SPF25 needs Lifetime, HGTV and the Food Channel....and you, well you need all of them and a fast remote! :D

pirate44
01-30-2006, 12:35 PM
You need to breakdown and just get the basic cable....Mikey needs Nickelodeon and Disney...SPF25 needs Lifetime, HGTV and the Food Channel....and you, well you need all of them and a fast remote! :D
we had satellite tv, but we found we were watching too much tv and not spending enough family time together. food tv and hgtv were taking too much control of our lives

zeus63
01-30-2006, 12:38 PM
I was in kindergarten. I remember very well, because a few weeks later my teacher, which had gone to the launch brought back her pictures.

Ranger Mom
01-30-2006, 12:40 PM
I was sitting in my obstetricians office waiting for my fist sonogram!

I remember watching the TV in stunned silence.

kaorder1999
01-30-2006, 12:50 PM
i ws sitting in a Kindergarten classroom!

pirate44
01-30-2006, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom

wow. what a sad way to spend a special moment

44INAROW
01-30-2006, 01:27 PM
I was substitute teaching a physical science class at Cuero High School......

HighSchool Fan
01-30-2006, 01:32 PM
i was in 10th grade Ameican History when the shuttle blew up. it was right before my lunch period, i lived a block from the school. i ran home and watched it and didn't go back that day.

9-11 i was at work watching the news and saw the 2nd plane hit the tower. my office is the only office with a tv so needless to say it was a very crowded emotional office that day.

i was talking to my uncle from kaufman when columbia blew up. while we as talking he told me he just heard what sounded like a sonic boom. unfortunatly it wasn't a sonic boom.

another thing that i remember was when the 1st gulf war started. i was at work when President Buch announced that America had started the air attacks in Iraq.

the last important day i remember was when i was working graveyard a couple of years ago and reading reuters news updates around 4am. they announced that saddam had been captured.

kaorder1999
01-30-2006, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom

A FIST sonogram? HEHE

pirate44
01-30-2006, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
A FIST sonogram? HEHE
ROFL i just noticed that too. how do they manage that?

44INAROW
01-30-2006, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan

9-11 i was at work watching the news and saw the 2nd plane hit the tower. my office is the only office with a tv so needless to say it was a very crowded emotional office that day.

i was talking to my uncle from kaufman when columbia blew up. while we as talking he told me he just heard what sounded like a sonic boom. unfortunatly it wasn't a sonic boom.

9-11 - I was at work and we all just left..... locked the doors and went home.. There was only 3 ladies there, the men were not there so we made an executive decision and at the time, didn't really care what anyone said. At that moment, I then understood the emotions I had seen on news clips of the day JFK was shot. (not comparing the 2 incidents, just the emotions) I was 4 yrs old when JFK was shot and I remember the day, but of course didn't understand what was happening

We were in Goliad at a Jr High basketball tourney the day that Columbia blew up. No TV - just kept getting sketchy details from young kids coming in and out of the gym that had been at home watching TV

pirate44
01-30-2006, 02:19 PM
Columbia, i was at work (on a saturday, if im not mistaking) when my brother called me and broke the news. i couldnt believe it happened again.

vet93
01-30-2006, 02:20 PM
Same with our family! Also watched the same programming...especially HGTV

I was in college when the challenger went down...I came in before noon from a class and then sat glued to the television in my dorm room for hours....somehow hoping that they had ejected and were saved.

piratebg
01-30-2006, 02:29 PM
I was too young to remember when the Challenger exploded, but I do remember watching all the footage in the years afterwards. I even remember watching a made for tv movie that aired not too long afterwards.

I do remember 9/11 though. I was walking to my first class of the day and I heard people talking on cell phones about a crash. At the time I didn't think much of it until I reached the class room and it was epmty. I left the building and headed back to the cafateria when I saw a huge crowd at the library. I went over to see what was going on and my jaw just hit the floor. I ended up standing there for 2hrs before I drove home. I drove from Corpus to Sinton(appox 35 min) and did not hear one song on the radio.