PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations, Mike Rabe!

cowboyfan8
01-27-2006, 11:35 AM
Congratulations to Mike Rabe, new AD/HFB at Ganado ISD. Another SHSU Bearkat getting a promotion. I hope you have plenty of success!

cowboyfan8
01-27-2006, 11:55 AM
Any of you Cuero folks know Mike?

44INAROW
01-27-2006, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by cowboyfan8
Any of you Cuero folks know Mike?

he and my middle son were roommates at SHSU - Ganado got a good one...........

Manck
01-27-2006, 11:57 AM
He's coming from an assistant position in Cleburne. Expect more news on that over the next few days.

cowboyfan8
01-27-2006, 12:07 PM
Would your middle son be Buddha Spears?

44INAROW
01-27-2006, 12:09 PM
ah yes.. is this Mark aka Humpy

Bearkat
01-27-2006, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by cowboyfan8
Congratulations to Mike Rabe, new AD/HFB at Ganado ISD. Another SHSU Bearkat getting a promotion. I hope you have plenty of success!

Congrats Mike!!! Do you need a baseball coach?

44INAROW
01-28-2006, 10:56 AM
The Victoria Advocate - http://TheVictoriaAdvocate.com
Rabe already hard at work in Ganado
MIKE FORMAN
Advocate Sports Writer
Saturday, January 28, 2006

Mike Rabe wasted no time getting to work as Ganado's athletic director and head football coach.
Rabe was on the job Friday, less than 24 hours after his hiring was unanimously approved by the Ganado school district board of trustees.

"I'm excited about it and I'm grateful for the opportunity," Rabe said. "I felt like getting in here as quickly as I could was the right thing to do."

Rabe played football under Mickey Finley at Cuero and was a member of the 1993 team that advanced to the Class 3A state final.

Rabe graduated from Cuero in 1995 and played football for one season at Tarleton State before transferring and graduating from Sam Houston State.

Rabe's first coaching job was as an assistant at Huntsville for one season. He joined Finley's staff at Arlington High for two seasons and spent the last three seasons with Finley at Cleburne.

"Coach Finley is a great teacher who cares a lot about the kids," said Rabe, who was the offensive coordinator last season and directed Cleburne's offseason program.

"I learned so much from him. I want to install the things I learned from coach Finley."

Mickey Finley's son, Clint Finley, who played quarterback and defensive back at Cuero before going on to play at Nebraska and for the Kansas City Chiefs, will join the Ganado staff as the defensive coordinator.

"I came down for some basketball games and I got to see the kids and look at the offseason program," Rabe said. "It looks like a great fit for us."

Jeff Black, superintendent of the Ganado school district, believes Rabe, who was also an assistant girls basketball coach at Cleburne, is the right person to direct the athletic program.

"I'm extremely excited," Black said. "I think he will develop our entire athletic program to where it's extremely competitive."

Rabe has replaced Mark Byrd, who was reassigned in December after Ganado went 6-5 and advanced to the Class 2A, Division II area playoffs.

"I've learned that kids are pretty resilient and they get through things pretty quickly," Rabe said. "They've had some good things in place. We're going to build on those and do what we do. It's going to be a team thing and we're going to get it done."

Rabe will pay close attention to the University Interscholastic League's reclassification and realignment, which will be released Thursday.

Ganado missed becoming a Class 1A school by 13 students in the last reclassification.

"We're going to be right on the bubble," Rabe said.

"They've been successful here on the (Class) 2A level. The kids have great work ethic so we'll see what happens and go from there."

Gobbla2001
01-28-2006, 10:59 AM
Cuero grads coachin' all over the place...

If Skidmore-Tynan and Ganado meet up in the playoffs agian, it'll be the battle of Cuero...

Gobbla2001
01-28-2006, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
Cuero grads coachin' all over the place...

If Skidmore-Tynan and Ganado meet up in the playoffs agian, it'll be the battle of Cuero...

and should be played in Cuero

44INAROW
01-28-2006, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
and should be played in Cuero

It would be packed for sure :)