PDA

View Full Version : Sprint users beware.....

sinton66
01-26-2006, 07:37 PM
I just got my cell phone bill and discovered a ten cent charge for a text message. I didn't know I had text messaging. I never asked for it. It's not included in my plan. I called customer service. She verified that I did indeed receive a text message on Dec. 30. I didn't know how to look at the message, she had to step me through the menu. Once I finally opened it, what a surprize! It was an advertisement message FROM SPRINT. So, not only did they attempt to advertise on my phone, they CHARGED me for it.
Needless to say, I told them they WOULD take that charge off and BLOCK all further text messages to/from my phone.

Watch them like a hawk, folks.

District303aPastPlayer
01-26-2006, 07:40 PM
Unlimited texting for $5 :)

i need it... seeing as how everyone texts me before 7... i think my count last month was somewhere in the neighborhood of 2500

Adidas410s
01-26-2006, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
Unlimited texting for $5 :)

i need it... seeing as how everyone texts me before 7... i think my count last month was somewhere in the neighborhood of 2500

it's not $5 anymore...it's $15 now. They used to have that $5 promo but it's long gone...be glad you have that cheap package!

District303aPastPlayer
01-26-2006, 07:51 PM
well whatever, im glad i dont pay for individual text messages...

AggieJohn
01-26-2006, 07:57 PM
yeah, i think that texting is just being even lazier than email or IM'ing somone

big daddy russ
01-26-2006, 08:17 PM
Sprint sucks. My girlfriend and I switched over from T-Mobile a year ago because most of our families and friends were on Sprint. As soon as our contracts are up, we're out. We'll probably go back to T-Mobile, but we're still considering Cingular and Verizon.

mistanice
01-26-2006, 08:19 PM
wait a minute, so i should be charged 5 dollars like i had before? Somehow one of those over-seas customer representatives (that i can not understand) changed my plans and now i get charged 15 dollars of unlimited text messaging. I asked why i was being charged more and i was told that since Sprint and nextel merged that was the new fee. go figure.

AggieJohn
01-26-2006, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Sprint sucks. My girlfriend and I switched over from T-Mobile a year ago because most of our families and friends were on Sprint. As soon as our contracts are up, we're out. We'll probably go back to T-Mobile, but we're still considering Cingular and Verizon. where you been russ?

big daddy russ
01-26-2006, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
where you been russ?
Lots of school... 19 hours this semester. I get once or twice a day, but don't post much.

sinton66
01-26-2006, 09:17 PM
Keep your eyes and ears open for a new company to hit the market. I believe they will carve into Sprint/Nextel's market dramatically. The new company is called Texcell, and they are busy buiding their system in Texas right now.

Leopards,class of 75
01-26-2006, 10:06 PM
I have Sprint too, now going on for 8 years. I do not use or receive text mes. and I sure don't want to pay a cent for any text mes. on my Sprint bill. As far as my service goes, I like it just fine. If you have Sprint service, make sure you have a Sanyo brand phone. Sanyo works far better than any other brand of phone.

sinton66
01-26-2006, 10:09 PM
The problem is they don't tell you your phone can RECEIVE text messages they will bill you for. You can contact them and have them block text messages. But they WON'T do it unless you tell them to.

Leopards,class of 75
01-26-2006, 10:16 PM
I think all cell phone services try to charge you to recieve text mes. Sprint, Cingular, Verizon............

AggieJohn
01-26-2006, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
Keep your eyes and ears open for a new company to hit the market. I believe they will carve into Sprint/Nextel's market dramatically. The new company is called Texcell, and they are busy buiding their system in Texas right now.

sounds like underground commies about to infiltrate our way of life the way you describe it tony

SnyTigBaseB07
01-26-2006, 10:28 PM
Haha thats why i love Cellular One!!! its 5.99 a month for 200 texts...and i only use like 100 or so!

sinton66
01-26-2006, 10:28 PM
Well, not commies, the parent company is out of Montana and Las Vegas.

MHSvarsity2007
01-26-2006, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by SnyTigBaseB07
Haha thats why i love Cellular One!!! its 5.99 a month for 200 texts...and i only use like 100 or so!

only 100 texts?! i average like 286 a month (from what my mom says) and we get 100 free. so i typically have to pay for it when i go over.

SnyTigBaseB07
01-26-2006, 10:30 PM
Lol if i have something to say to someone i'll call them, texting is for like school and stuff when you cant bust out talking.

MHSvarsity2007
01-26-2006, 10:31 PM
Lol if i have something to say to someone i'll call them, texting is for like school and stuff when you cant bust out talking.

i hate talking on the phone so text messaging is heaven for me.

sinton66
01-26-2006, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
sounds like underground commies about to infiltrate our way of life the way you describe it tony

By the way, I'm putting in three of their sites in Corpus now. One is on the air already.

Leopards,class of 75
01-26-2006, 10:37 PM
Lol if i have something to say to someone i'll call them, texting is for like school and stuff when you cant bust out talking. Thats what i'm talking about!!! lol

SintonFan
01-26-2006, 10:39 PM
Well, not commies, the parent company is out of Montana and Las Vegas.
Well, since the parent company is out of Montana they can't be commies. Goodness knows that the militia would kick them out of there. Wait...
did you say they're coming to Texas now?:eek: :thinking:

sinton66
01-26-2006, 10:47 PM
Yes. I just put in the first system for them in Corpus. The second will be complete by the second week of Feb. with the third to follow shortly. I understand the initial build out in Texas will be something like 60 sites. This is an identical system to Nextel, based on Motorola's Harmony System utilizing their iden radios..

Ranger Mom
01-26-2006, 10:56 PM
I have Sprint and have always liked them. I put an unlimited text package on my daughters phone just last week....it was $7.50 a month!

SintonFan
01-26-2006, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I have Sprint and have always liked them. I put an unlimited text package on my daughters phone just last week....it was $7.50 a month!
shhhhhhhhhh....
We all hate Sprint now that Catherine-Zeta-Jo.... I mean T-Mobile rules now.:D :p

SintonFan
01-26-2006, 11:03 PM
Yes. I just put in the first system for them in Corpus. The second will be complete by the second week of Feb. with the third to follow shortly. I understand the initial build out in Texas will be something like 60 sites. This is an identical system to Nextel, based on Motorola's Harmony System utilizing their iden radios..
So the commies are coming to Texas then?:D
Seriously if they have competitive rates I'll give them a serious look. I have Cingular and am happy with them as far as reach but then again having a good battery installed is half the fight(modern batteries have the antennas on them).
Speaking about commies, my bro works for a company that does work for Citgo.:eek:

Adidas410s
01-26-2006, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by Leopards,class of 75
I think all cell phone services try to charge you to recieve text mes. Sprint, Cingular, Verizon............

are you worried the man is trying to get you down? LOL...they aren't TRYING to charge you...the service has to be used first. Heck they would prefer that you text because it's MUCH easier on their network to transfer data as opposed to voice calls. Also, unlike Sprint, Cingular doesn't charge you for any text messages that you receive from the company. That being said...Sprint still has the best value for BASIC data (text, internet, etc.) services. Now if you are looking for wireless, travelling "broadband" (the speeds are techincally into the broadband category) service...Verizon offers the fastest network speeds. However, it only works in 150ish (i think it's closer to 170...i forget) metro areas but nowhere else. Cingular has a multi-network data card that works at the same speed as Verizon in 35 metro areas so far (to expand to about 200 by year-end '06) but can revert back to their slower networks to offer you internet service with a much greater coverage area.

Here is my personal slogan for Cingular..."More bars in more places...and no bars in some places!" I can only post this from home in case they happened to sweep my computer at work while I was writing that! ;)

SintonFan
01-26-2006, 11:16 PM
Adidas, Verizon is HUGE in NYC... that's gotta count for something.

Adidas410s
01-26-2006, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
Adidas, Verizon is HUGE in NYC... that's gotta count for something.

they pretty much own the east coast...it counts for a lot! Just check out the 50+ million customers that they have. I'll go ahead and predict that they re-take their #1 place on list of customer base ever since Cingular bought their way to #1 in Nov 2004 by buying AT&T Wireless. They are gaining rapidly on Cingular (about 3/4 million per quarter) so it shouldn't take too much longer.

SintonFan
01-26-2006, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
they pretty much own the east coast...it counts for a lot! Just check out the 50+ million customers that they have. I'll go ahead and predict that they re-take their #1 place on list of customer base ever since Cingular bought their way to #1 in Nov 2004 by buying AT&T Wireless. They are gaining rapidly on Cingular (about 3/4 million per quarter) so it shouldn't take too much longer.
Cool. A 3Adownlow educated prediction.

DaHop72
01-27-2006, 12:07 AM
It may be cheap, but you get what you pay for. You can be in downtown Snyder and drop a call. Cell one has been bad about dropping calls from day one.

SnyTigBaseB07
01-27-2006, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by DaHop72
It may be cheap, but you get what you pay for. You can be in downtown Snyder and drop a call. Cell one has been bad about dropping calls from day one.

Haha i dunno if there really is a downtown snyder..i guess it'd be the square

I havent had many dropped calls, but sometimes i just get crazy service in areas.

spiveyrat
01-27-2006, 12:34 PM
So, they figure, "Not only are we going to advertise, but they're going to pay us to do it". :eek: :doh:

BU97
01-27-2006, 02:03 PM
I got a 100 text messages a month for $5.

I had Cingular, then T-Mobile and now Sprint. Cingular was pretty new at the time when I had them and they were still working out some kinks so I dropped them. T-Mobile was absolutely horrid, they say no roaming but what they don't say is that if you are beyond the T-Mobile range you have zilch. I like Sprint just fine.

STANG RED
01-27-2006, 05:26 PM
We have tried them all at one time or another. We had problems with all of them. Cingulars billings were always screwed up. We have now had Sprint for about a year. It's not perfect by any means, but its the best we have had.
I dont think you can even get T-mobile or Verizon out here in West Texas yet. I'd pay what ever price T-mobile wanted if Catherine Zeta Jones would come make the sale herself, whether the phone worked or not. That is one smokin hot babe. Michael Douglas, you lucky SOB you!

sinton66
01-27-2006, 07:25 PM
I've never had a problem with Sprint's coverage. But, I'm one of those people that DON'T like surprizes when I pay for something. I like to know exactly what I'm getting for my money. This tactic just ticked me off. I can't stand people who use this sort of approach to get to you. It's underhanded, sneaky, and probably illegal. They may get away with it with people who have contracts, because it may be written in there somewhere. I refused to sign a contract, so that may be why I was left unaware.

After thinking about it awhile, I'm still steamed, and am seriously considering filing a complaint with the Texas Utilities Commission.
I'm sorry, but IMO this takes a LOT of brass for a company to act like this. If a company is willing to stoop this low, what else might we expect from them?

Leopards,class of 75
01-28-2006, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by STANG RED
We have tried them all at one time or another. We had problems with all of them. Cingulars billings were always screwed up. We have now had Sprint for about a year. It's not perfect by any means, but its the best we have had.
I dont think you can even get T-mobile or Verizon out here in West Texas yet. I'd pay what ever price T-mobile wanted if Catherine Zeta Jones would come make the sale herself, whether the phone worked or not. That is one smokin hot babe. Michael Douglas, you lucky SOB you! I will buy T-mobile too is Mrs. Jones is the sales person!!!LOL

lepfan
01-28-2006, 12:21 AM
I have to say Cingular has gotten better with age. I use to have all sorts of problems with billing and such...BUT I was firm with them and pretty much told them what I expected! I always requested a supervisor and super. #. In the past year I have had nothing but excellent service and support from Cingular.

3afan
01-28-2006, 07:03 AM
my daughter exceeds her text allotment every month - amazing

Adidas410s
01-28-2006, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by lepfan
I have to say Cingular has gotten better with age. I use to have all sorts of problems with billing and such...BUT I was firm with them and pretty much told them what I expected! I always requested a supervisor and super. #. In the past year I have had nothing but excellent service and support from Cingular.

you can thank them for 1) switching to GSM and 2) dropping the statewide/regional plans...it helps eliminate roaming charges when they are no longer an option within the US.

Cameron Crazy
01-28-2006, 11:58 AM
Whats best....Cingular or Sprint