PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Taking 3 to the Regional Track Meet

4x100jackets
01-26-2006, 11:56 AM
Last yr at the Regional meet in Region 4, out of the 17 events in track, not one kid that placed 3rd in their District meets made the finals.....NOT ONE... How about your region?????

BullFrog Dad
01-26-2006, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by 4x100jackets
Last yr at the Regional meet in Region 4, out of the 17 events in track, not one kid that placed 3rd in their District meets made the finals.....NOT ONE... How about your region????? Not sure how Region I turned out but I like the top 3 concept way better than the old method. With it the top two teams went(including everyone who payed points 1st-6th place)and the 1st-2nd finisher in each event. With that system you had 3rd place finishers setting at home because they weren't on a top 2 team with 6th place finishers going to regionals because they were on a top two team. How fair is that?

neck_06
01-26-2006, 01:59 PM
i believe that if you can take 6 swimmers to the regional meet, you should atleast take the 3 medalists in track............but thats me

BU97
01-26-2006, 03:53 PM
If we are going to take 3 teams to the playoffs in all sports then we should be able to take 3 kids to the regional track meet. Even though none of the #3's made it to the finals last year that doesn't mean that the system is bad. For example in 2001 I had several kids that placed 3rd at the district meet, 42.7 4x100, 51.5 400m kid, and a 3:19 4x400. All of them not only would have made the finals, but the relays would have competed to qualify for state. So in cases where you have an extremely strong district it is good to let that 3rd place team advance b/c some districts #3 is better than some districts #2 qualifier. Lastly it certainly doesn't hurt for 8 more kids to run at the regional track meet.

Chief Ohera
01-26-2006, 06:18 PM
taking three to the regional meet is worthless, they shouldn't do it just like they shouldn't have the 4x200m relay for both girls and boys, that race isn't in the college ranks well at some meets it isn't but not in the conference meets. they should just take the top two just like they do to austin, come on brothers
until next time...............

j_dog
01-26-2006, 10:43 PM
I not only like the idea of taking the top 3 form each district, I would like to see the top 3 go to state from each region. Normally it would not make any difference. The weaker athletes will be quickly eliminated at the next level. But I remember one year in 4a that region III was loaded in the long jump. Four boys jumped further at the region III meet than anyone else in the whole state of Texas did for the entire year, but only two of them could go on to the state meet. I simply fail to see any justice in that.

BU97
01-27-2006, 04:00 PM
Colleges take even more to the Regional meets, so a comparison to college doesn't hold much water I don't think!

sww-bull52
01-27-2006, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Chief Ohera
taking three to the regional meet is worthless, they shouldn't do it just like they shouldn't have the 4x200m relay for both girls and boys, that race isn't in the college ranks well at some meets it isn't but not in the conference meets. they should just take the top two just like they do to austin, come on brothers

Shut up

Old Tiger
01-27-2006, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by sww-bull52
Shut up haha

Z motion 10 out on 2
01-27-2006, 09:30 PM

If you pay attention to college track then you would know that there are a lot of college events that are not the same as high school.

Z motion 10 out on 2
01-27-2006, 09:34 PM
Last year my daughter (her freshman year) she was a third place finisher in district. She went to regionals and was last. That was no fun, but what was fun is that she had the experience of going and competing against the best in the region and I know this year that she will do much better.

Chief Ohera
01-27-2006, 09:58 PM
hey brother i do pay attention to college track, and by the way there is a professional meet on this week at boston it's indoor and it comes on at 530 sunday,
i don't see the point in taking three to regionals, it' just makes the meet longer and the kids who do get third end up getting dusted anyway,
now i do see taking three in certain events, per say the pole vault and the hurdles b/c they are crazy events, but taking three to regonals is pointless,
until next time.................

mrescape43
01-27-2006, 10:12 PM
hey brother i do pay attention to college track, and by the way there is a professional meet on this week at boston it's indoor and it comes on at 530 sunday,
i don't see the point in taking three to regionals, it' just makes the meet longer and the kids who do get third end up getting dusted anyway,
now i do see taking three in certain events, per say the pole vault and the hurdles b/c they are crazy events, but taking three to regonals is pointless,
until next time.................

So is taking the time to read your retarded posts!

Z motion 10 out on 2
01-28-2006, 12:20 AM
that race isn't in the college ranks well at some meets it isn't but not in the conference meets.

I was just responding to what you wrote about the college events. Z Motion Jr ran the 300 hurdles in high school. They don't have that race in college.

I do agree with you to a certain extent on the talent. Generally the third person in a district is not going to make the top two spots and go to state. I will give you that. However there are bad starts and all kinds of things that happen at the track meets. My son took second at district and then turned in a good run at regionals taking third just nipped out of state. He beat the guy that was the district champ in his district. My boy just had a bad finish (hurdles) in the district meet.

Last year my daughter probably shouldn't have gone to regionals but like I said in my previous post it will help her a lot this year. I'm thinking that she qualifies for regionals in more than one event this year.

pancho villa
01-28-2006, 12:35 PM
Our sprint relay got 3rd at district last year and had the 4th best time in the prelims at Kingsville. Then we dropped the baton in the finals, but were in 2nd at the time.

Gobbler Fan
01-28-2006, 12:39 PM
they were in second behind who ?:D

J/K Im all for sending as many kid's to regionals as possible ---the experience alone is worth it from a spectator standpoint .

pancho villa
01-28-2006, 12:41 PM
Cuero

pancho villa
01-28-2006, 12:52 PM
These kids placed 3rd in our disrtict and made the finals!
Murphy sweeny 200
Hartney Col. 300 H
Needville 4x200
Columbia4x100

Girls
Benson 200
Cornett Staf. 100H
Bonner 100
Needville 4x200

pancho villa
01-28-2006, 01:07 PM
Boys field events 24 in each event.
All these kids were 3rd in our district.

Boys
LJ Mcafee 8th
TJ Shelton 9th
PV Beverly 5th

Girls 24 in each event.
Shot Camp 2nd
LJ Miles 5th
HJ Gerbich 9th Tied for 4th but more misses
Disc Thomas 4th
TJ Franklin 5th
PV Hurta 9th