PDA

View Full Version : Realignment thinking - 5a

LH Panther Mom
01-26-2006, 06:55 AM
Okay, I know, it's scary that I woke up thinking about this. :doh: But sometimes the brain works that way. One of you realignment gurus please set me straight if I've got it wrong, but here goes.

When the UIL announced there would be 4 teams in 5a make the playoffs, there was a lot of talk it was all about the money for more playoff games. But if you think about it, the number of games will be the same. (Maybe the UIL should've thought about it when they first woke up.) Before, there were 32 districts with 3 teams making it - 32 D1 teams and 64 D2. With the 16 districts, there will now be 16 D1 teams and 48 D2 teams. The road to D1 title takes half as long, D2 takes twice as long, but you still have the same amount of teams playing and games played, right? :nerd: :nerd: Or do I need to go back to bed? :confused:

HighSchool Fan
01-26-2006, 07:59 AM
my guess was that by adding another team to the playoffs then you would have 2 schools go to D1 and 2 schools go to D2. the D2 wouldn't change but the D1 would end up having 1 extra week of playoff games.

STANG RED
01-26-2006, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
my guess was that by adding another team to the playoffs then you would have 2 schools go to D1 and 2 schools go to D2. the D2 wouldn't change but the D1 would end up having 1 extra week of playoff games.

Either that, or they will expand to a D3, but that seems unlikely. But then again, we are talking about the UIL. Nothing would really surprise me at this point.

3afan
01-26-2006, 08:37 AM
I dont know why people always say the UIL is all about $ .... thats simply not the case, but I guess its easy to throw in there ...............

lostaussie
01-26-2006, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
I dont know why people always say the UIL is all about $ .... thats simply not the case, but I guess its easy to throw in there ............... Do i detect a hint of sarcasm..............uil gets a percentage of every playoff gate BEFORE expenses. they got their hands in the cookie jar before the districts get to pay for those nice stadiums we all love to go play in.

Snyder_TigerFan
01-26-2006, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by lostaussie
Do i detect a hint of sarcasm..............uil gets a percentage of every playoff gate BEFORE expenses. they got their hands in the cookie jar before the districts get to pay for those nice stadiums we all love to go play in.

That's crazy. Is the UIL not a state funded organization?

LH Panther Mom
01-26-2006, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Okay, I know, it's scary that I woke up thinking about this. :doh: But sometimes the brain works that way. One of you realignment gurus please set me straight if I've got it wrong, but here goes.

When the UIL announced there would be 4 teams in 5a make the playoffs, there was a lot of talk it was all about the money for more playoff games. But if you think about it, the number of games will be the same. (Maybe the UIL should've thought about it when they first woke up.) Before, there were 32 districts with 3 teams making it - 32 D1 teams and 64 D2. With the 16 districts, there will now be 16 D1 teams and 48 D2 teams. The road to D1 title takes half as long, D2 takes twice as long, but you still have the same amount of teams playing and games played, right? :nerd: :nerd: Or do I need to go back to bed? :confused:
I should've gone back to bed. Don't you hate it when you wake up "thinking" and you know something isn't right, but you can't quite put your finger on it? There will only by 64 teams under the "4-teams per district" rule. So.....for anyone who thought it was strictly about the money, there's the proof. Less teams=less games=less $. :hairpunk: Whew! I feel better now.

NateDawg39
01-27-2006, 02:15 PM
At this rate in one thousand years when the UIL controls half of the world, everyone will be a State Champion just by winning one game a year! Not really but it was just one of those things in my mind.;)

Bullaholic
01-27-2006, 02:22 PM
Here let me help, LHPMom....If a team-and-a-half wins a-game-and-a-half, how many would win 10 games in 5A? :D

LH Panther Mom
01-27-2006, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Here let me help, LHPMom....If a team-and-a-half wins a-game-and-a-half, how many would win 10 games in 5A? :D
:weeping: :weeping: Great! Just when I thought I had it all figured out. :eyetwitch

tex_male
01-27-2006, 09:08 PM
Think we may see an end to the LSWC.

3afan
01-27-2006, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by lostaussie
Do i detect a hint of sarcasm..............uil gets a percentage of every playoff gate BEFORE expenses. they got their hands in the cookie jar before the districts get to pay for those nice stadiums we all love to go play in.

so what? the UIL needs revenue to operate and the football playoffs are a great source - just like the D-I hoops tourney is for the NCAA.