PDA

View Full Version : Paypal/Ebay

turbostud
01-25-2006, 10:36 PM
For those using Paypal or Ebay beware. I received an email supposedly from Paypal saying I had won an item I had bid on on Ebay even though I have not bid on anything on Ebay in months. I couldnt figure out what was going on so I forwarded the email to Paypals security department and sure enough it was a fraudulent email. They immediately responded and said it was called "phishing" and was a ploy to get you to enter credit card info or bank info in a response email.

CHS_CG
01-25-2006, 10:56 PM
My best friend had an email sayin she had to pay for an 85 dollar watch she bid on. she was like oh hell no!

gobblerfan02
01-25-2006, 10:58 PM
Well, I don't even know how to bid on anything at ebay so there!

olddawggreen
01-25-2006, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by turbostud
For those using Paypal or Ebay beware. I received an email supposedly from Paypal saying I had won an item I had bid on on Ebay even though I have not bid on anything on Ebay in months. I couldnt figure out what was going on so I forwarded the email to Paypals security department and sure enough it was a fraudulent email. They immediately responded and said it was called "phishing" and was a ploy to get you to enter credit card info or bank info in a response email.

Ive had this happen to me a couple of times lately and I too forwarded them to Paypal.
Another thing to watch out for are Ebay items that are "Buy Now", that are priced rediculesly low, but that require you to be "preapproved". To be preapproved you have to email them a lot of personal information. Its all a scam, I saw it done on some Kubto Tractors, trailers included, and some ATV 4 wheelers. That were priced too low and had free shipping from California and Scotland:rolleyes: :rolleyes:. I tried to report these to Ebay and could never get through. WATCH OUT! AS THEY SAY, IF IT LOOKS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE, IT PROBABLY IS!:doh: :doh:

pirate44
01-26-2006, 07:00 AM
thanks for the warning turbostud

Gp83
01-26-2006, 07:14 AM
I too have had emails from Paypal and Ebay asking me to verify my password for security checks.

olddawggreen
01-26-2006, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by Gp83
I too have had emails from Paypal and Ebay asking me to verify my password for security checks.

Don't do it!, Go to the Ebay home page and click on your own account if you want to see your information. NEVER respond to one of these emails with your personal information .

Hupernikomen
01-26-2006, 10:01 AM
This has been around for a while. Be very careful.

Bearkat
01-26-2006, 10:15 AM
I'm new to ebay, thanks for the warnings!!

Maroon87
01-26-2006, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by olddawggreen
Don't do it!, Go to the Ebay home page and click on your own account if you want to see your information. NEVER respond to one of these emails with your personal information .

Good advice. According to PayPal and eBay, if you ever need to update your account info, that's the way you should do it. The policy of both of those companies is to never solicit personal information via email.

MHSvarsity2007
01-26-2006, 11:42 AM
i always get those stupid emails about that...im not even subscribed to ebay!

SintonFan
01-26-2006, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by turbostud
Makes sure when you get one of these spoof emails report it. If your not sure if it's from ebay or not follow this link. ebay spoof link (http://pages.ebay.com/help/confidence/spoof-email.html)
Their should be a link in there to report the bad guys.