PDA

View Full Version : Chubbed_up signs with the Cougars :)

44INAROW
01-25-2006, 10:04 AM
Chubbed_up is JT Rudd in the article below:

The Victoria Advocate - http://TheVictoriaAdvocate.com
Gobblers make college choices
MIKE FORMAN
Advocate Sports Writer
Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Cuero relied heavily on seniors J.T. Rudd and Justin Wesley during its run to the Class 3A, Division II semifinals and their efforts will soon be rewarded with football scholarships.
Rudd announced Tuesday he plans to attend the University of Houston, while Wesley made a commitment to attend Texas State University.

Rudd, who was originally leaning toward Texas State, decided to attend Houston after making a visit to the campus and talking with the coaches, including Alan Weddell, who recruited Rudd and was recently named defensive coordinator.

"It really appealed to me," said Rudd, who was also recruited by Baylor, Memphis, and Navy. "They had a plan for me. They told me how I could help them out and how they were going to put me in the best position where I could make it."

The 6-foot-2, 230-pound Rudd played mostly defensive end and tight end for the Gobblers last season and was the MVP on the 2005 Advocate All-Area Football Team. He had 57 tackles, including 32 solo, nine sacks, caused one fumble, and recovered two fumbles. He graded 98 percent on his blocking assignments with 23 pancake blocks. He also caught 18 passes and had nine touchdown receptions.

"J.T.'s going to be a good player for them," Cuero coach Mark Reeve said. "He played both ways for us the last two years and he could pretty much play on either side of the ball. He's really been a warrior."

Rudd is expected to play inside linebacker for the Cougars and will likely redshirt next season.

"That's where I've been wanting to play," Rudd said. "It was nice to hear they had a plan for me. It's nice to go to a place where you're really wanted."

Wesley was also recruited by Rice and New Mexico State, but felt more comfortable during his visit to San Marcos.

"I fell in love with the campus, the coaches, and the players," Wesley said. "It fits me the best. That's important because that's where I'm going to spend the next four to five years of my life."

The 6-3, 185-pound Wesley attracted attention of recruiters with his performance at wide receiver and free safety last season. Wesley had 37 catches for 840 yards and 11 touchdowns. He also had 38 tackles, including 19 solo tackles, 13 pass breakups, and five interceptions, one of which he returned for a touchdown. Wesley was selected as the Defensive Player of the Year on the all-area team.

"Justin went from being a special teams player and part-time guy to a guy we really relied on," Reeve said. "He had a great senior year. He caught a lot of big passes and he called the signals for our secondary. He has the size and the speed and I think he'll make a heck of a college receiver."

Wesley expects to play wide receiver for the Bobcats and is unsure whether he will redshirt or play next season.

"I like what they do on offense," Wesley said. "I played defense (last season) because they needed me. I like to play receiver and I want the ball thrown to me."

Wesley and Rudd will join teammate Latrael Cooper, who has committed to Texas A&M, and make their commitments official on Wednesday, Feb. 1, which is the national signing day.

Mike Forman is a sports writer for the Advocate. Contact him at 361-580-6588 or mforman@vicad.com, or comment on this story at www.VictoriaAdvocate.com.

LH Panther Mom
01-25-2006, 10:16 AM
Congratulations, chubbed! :clap:

Gobbler Fan
01-25-2006, 10:21 AM
That makes 3 from this Senior Class and I dont beliveve it's over yet. Congratulations J.T. and Justin on a fine year best of luck whereever your path's lead you . :thumbsup:

injuredinmelee
01-25-2006, 10:21 AM
a future teammate of Case Keenum, awesome!

District303aPastPlayer
01-25-2006, 12:04 PM
Good Job Chubbed and JWess

CHS_CG
01-25-2006, 12:05 PM
congrats guys! Thats one outta many weights lifted off your shoulders now. Good luck to yall in your college careers:clap:

44INAROW
01-25-2006, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
a future teammate of Case Keenum, awesome!

I thought the same thing. :)

football4life
01-25-2006, 01:08 PM
Congrats fellas :clap: :clap: Never easy to reach that level by any means.

Bearkat
01-25-2006, 01:15 PM
Congrats to both young men. Good luck!!

Gobbla2001
01-25-2006, 01:23 PM
Way to go guys... two great athletes and winners... hope you guys win on the next level...

Good Luck!

Bullaholic
01-25-2006, 01:58 PM
Congrats chubbed....I know you will make the folks in Cuero and Houston proud. Best of Luck, young man.

AggieJohn
01-25-2006, 08:03 PM
congrats...