PDA

View Full Version : Do we need a wall??

HighSchool Fan
01-24-2006, 06:35 PM
Men in Mexican Army Uniforms in Border Standoff, Official Says
Tuesday, January 24, 2006

SIERRA BLANCA, Texas — Men in Mexican military-style uniforms crossed the Rio Grande into the United States on a marijuana-smuggling foray, leading to an armed confrontation with Texas law officers, authorities said Tuesday. No shots were fired.

The men retreated and escaped back across the border with much of the pot, though they abandoned more than a half-ton of marijuana as they fled and set fire to one of their vehicles, authorities said.

The Mexican government denied its military was involved.

The confrontation took place Monday and involved three Texas sheriff's deputies, at least two Texas state troopers and at least 10 heavily armed men from the Mexican side of the Rio Grande, said Rick Glancey of the Texas Border Sheriffs' Coalition.

Gov. Rick Perry ordered an investigation.

"It's certainly troubling and unacceptable and a real reminder of how an unsecure border threatens all Texans and the rest of the nation," said Perry spokesman Kathy Walt.

The Mexican Foreign Relations Department issued a statement saying that drug traffickers and other organized criminals have used uniforms and vehicles before. "It is possible that these actions were designed to damage the image of our armed forces," it said.

Monday's incident follows a story in the Inland Valley Daily Bulletin in Ontario, Calif., on Jan. 15 that said the Mexican military had crossed into the United States more than 200 times since 1996. Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff has said reports of Mexican incursions into the United States were overblown and most were just mistakes.

The confrontation on Monday took place was near Neely's Crossing, about 50 miles east of El Paso, and started when state police tried to stop three sport utility vehicles on Interstate 10. The vehicles made a quick U-turn and headed south toward the border, a few miles away, Glancey said.

When the SUVs reached the Rio Grande, police saw the occupants of a green, Mexican Army-style Humvee apparently waiting for the convoy, Glancey said.

Police stopped and watched as the vehicles began to cross the shallow river into Mexico. Both sides -- the Americans and the smugglers -- had their weapons drawn.

One SUV got stuck in the river, and another blew a tire on the Texas side. Its driver ran into Mexico.

Men in the Humvee tried to tow the stuck vehicle out of the river. When that failed, a group of men in civilian clothes began unloading from the SUV what appeared to be bundles of marijuana. They then torched the SUV, Glancey said.

Deputies found about 1,400 pounds of marijuana in the vehicle that had a flat tire. The vehicle had previously been reported stolen from El Paso

Adidas410s
01-24-2006, 06:43 PM
http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=40715

Gobbla2001
01-24-2006, 06:45 PM
Move the great wall of China to Texas, since only Americans go to see the thing anyway... stretch it from Brownsville to El Paso...

olddawggreen
01-24-2006, 08:01 PM
I say yes!:clap:

sinton66
01-24-2006, 08:05 PM
I'm thinking a tall, thick one might be in order.

pirate44
01-24-2006, 08:16 PM
we need to stop these people who make all this money in the u.s. and then take it to spend out of the country!!

you know,
madonna, tina turner, etc. ;)

oh yeah, a wall and surveillance cameras. ie. eye in the sky ala las vegas

GreenMonster
01-24-2006, 08:25 PM
Were we Americans not instrumental in the tearing down of the Berlin Wall? Aren't we the same country that just recently talked Isreal out of building a wall to seperate the Jews from the Muslims in the West Bank? Is this not the same country that for so many years welcomed immigrants from foreign soil? Why would our government ever seriously consider building a wall? Don't be hypocritical, drop the idea of a wall. If this border is such a security risk then create some jobs and beef up the Border Patrol.

SnyTigBaseB07
01-24-2006, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
Were we Americans not instrumental in the tearing down of the Berlin Wall? Aren't we the same country that just recently talked Isreal out of building a wall to seperate the Jews from the Muslims in the West Bank? Is this not the same country that for so many years welcomed immigrants from foreign soil? Why would our government ever seriously consider building a wall? Don't be hypocritical, drop the idea of a wall. If this border is such a security risk then create some jobs and beef up the Border Patrol.

Exactly what i wanted to say, but i'm not quite as verbose...i agree, we dont need a wall, we need more jobs....

Gobbla2001
01-24-2006, 08:33 PM
The physical wall we speak of is more of a 'figure of speak'...

Basically we mean "keep the illegals and drugs out"... basically, tighten up...

sinton66
01-24-2006, 09:12 PM

Unfortunately, they've spent billions of dollars and have been beefing up the Border Patrol for years. There simply aren't enough of them and never will be. The drug smuggling is the worst of it. Drugs have invaded almost every level of our society. The Border Patrol isn't sufficiently trained or equipped to stop drug traffic, and it isn't their normal business to do so.

The problem is that Americans don't have the stomach for what it would really take, a strong US Military presence all along OUR side of the border. And, I'm not talking about twenty or thirty miles north of the border (that's the Border Patrol's job), I'm talking right ON the border, to be an eyewitness and stop whatever is crossing the river in whatever illegal manner in EITHER direction. When the armed Mexican Military is involved, what else besides a wall would work?

injuredinmelee
01-24-2006, 10:38 PM

There is no way to police the entire American border. BUILD IT TALL and let them just dream of what is on the other side. The Berlin Wall was built to keep people inside of a communist country. they were not trying to keep anyone out that was detrimental to their society. Think of how our healthcare cost would decline if we had this wall. And that is just one thing that would be better.
Try and go to another country not knowing the language. Demand that that government help you with expenses, healthcare, paying for the birth of your babies and all this time you want to pay no tax. Then demand that they make signs and packaging with your native language on it.

injuredinmelee
01-24-2006, 10:41 PM
the other thing is that the Mexican Governmant as a whole is so corrupt they make Lousianian politicians look like Church Elders. You can not trust a single thing they say.

olddawggreen
01-25-2006, 01:32 AM

The Berlin wall was built to keep people in, not out. Big difference. I personally think Isreal should build a wall for their own saftey. Remember the old saying, "Good fences make good neighbors"? A wall along the US border will not stop legal traffic or crossings, only the illegal ones. Im all for it.

SnyTigBaseB07
01-25-2006, 02:15 AM
Originally posted by olddawggreen
The Berlin wall was built to keep people in, not out. Big difference. I personally think Isreal should build a wall for their own saftey. Remember the old saying, "Good fences make good neighbors"? A wall along the US border will not stop legal traffic or crossings, only the illegal ones. Im all for it.

But then you get the groups of people who store up money find some way to present themselves to the Mexican Government and complain until Mexico pulls the "If you keep us out, we'll keep our goods outta america" kinda crap, so then we take down the wall and we're back to square one, are we not?

sahen
01-25-2006, 02:25 AM
strategically place snipers...taht is the answer....

SnyTigBaseB07
01-25-2006, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by sahen
strategically place snipers...taht is the answer....

Or put big signs up and down the border that say

¡No entre, minar el campo a continuación!

sahen
01-25-2006, 02:36 AM
Originally posted by SnyTigBaseB07
Or put big signs up and down the border that say

¡No entre, minar el campo a continuación!
we'd have to back it up lol cause no one would believe it until boom.....maybe mine fields along w/ strategically placed snipers....hm....we could be on to something, when's the next governor's race? we can be the first joint govenor...

SnyTigBaseB07
01-25-2006, 02:37 AM
we'd have to back it up lol cause no one would believe it until boom.....maybe mine fields along w/ strategically placed snipers....hm....we could be on to something, when's the next governor's race? we can be the first joint govenor...

Haha i think you're kinda thinking! I say we gather the Downlowers and all vote at the next electon...

Well yall would be voting for Sahen and Myself....but its all good.

olddawggreen
01-25-2006, 09:27 AM
But then you get the groups of people who store up money find some way to present themselves to the Mexican Government and complain until Mexico pulls the "If you keep us out, we'll keep our goods outta america" kinda crap, so then we take down the wall and we're back to square one, are we not?

No. we are not. Despite the complaining and grandstanding by Mexican officials, and some of our more left wing polititions here in the US, industry and trade, while posibly interupted for a very short time, will continue as usual.

Don't get me wrong, I think that it really sucks that we have reached a point in time where we even have to discus building a wall or even worrying about the security of our border with Mexico. But the fact is, the time is here, its not just illegal Mexicans crossing the border looking for work. There are some really bad people coming across from Mexico and other countrys to do really bad things. Not just drug runners, but assassins, murderers, potential terrorist and all sorts of other criminals.

The way things are going it won't be long before we have to place our military on our border, and we already know what a bad idea that is and what it could lead to. Give me the wall.

SnyTigBaseB07
01-25-2006, 09:29 AM
No. we are not. Despite the complaining and grandstanding by Mexican officials, and some of our more left wing polititions here in the US, industry and trade, while posibly interupted for a very short time, will continue as usual.

Don't get me wrong, I think that it really sucks that we have reached a point in time where we even have to discus building a wall or even worrying about the security of our border with Mexico. But the fact is, the time is here, its not just illegal Mexicans crossing the border looking for work. There are some really bad people coming across from Mexico and other countrys to do really bad things. Not just drug runners, but assassins, murderers, potential terrorist and all sorts of other criminals.

The way things are going it won't be long before we have to place our military on our border, and we already know what a bad idea that is and what it could lead to. Give me the wall.

Maybe so

But it is safe to say that regardless of whether we put up a wall, put more military officials at the border, tighten up stuff, or just not do anything.

We'll be stepping on toes and quite a few people arent going to like whatever we do.

But its inevitable, you cant please everyone.

olddawggreen
01-25-2006, 09:37 AM
Maybe so

But it is safe to say that regardless of whether we put up a wall, put more military officials at the border, tighten up stuff, or just not do anything.

We'll be stepping on toes and quite a few people arent going to like whatever we do.

But its inevitable, you cant please everyone.

Your right SnyTig, you can't please everyone and sometimes you have to step on some toes or stomp on some feet to protect what ya got. :)

HighSchool Fan
01-25-2006, 09:37 AM

you don't think we're at this point already? i'm not to concerned what someone else thinks about us. i'm only worried about the security of the people of the USA.

SnyTigBaseB07
01-25-2006, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
you don't think we're at this point already? i'm not to concerned what someone else thinks about us. i'm only worried about the security of the people of the USA.

Yes of course, but at the same time we dont need to unnecessarily anger people who in the event of really getting mad could basically throw a bomb over the freaking border ok. Protecting the US sometimes means doing things that not everyone will approve of. Pissing of Mexico is not in our best interest at all.

HighSchool Fan
01-25-2006, 10:00 AM
Pissing of Mexico is not in our best interest at all.

let's see, we make mexico mad. they quit sending products to the US. that means we start to get some of our jobs back. if push comes to shove, the boy scouts could handle their military. so far i don't see a downside to it.

SnyTigBaseB07
01-25-2006, 10:08 AM
let's see, we make mexico mad. they quit sending products to the US. that means we start to get some of our jobs back. if push comes to shove, the boy scouts could handle their military. so far i don't see a downside to it.

I'm not particularly concerned with losing goods, we get enough of that crap from taiwan, and i encourage the slowing trade so we can hire more americans

I'm concerned about Mexico's close proximity. I mean, if a terrorist wants to bomb the crap outta something, their either going by boat, plane or swimming.. A mexican terrorist whos pissed because he lost his job (not like there arent more) can just swim or walk maybe i dunno couple of miles hitch a ride into some urbanized town and probably kill quite a few people. Not only would the have the capability they'd have the motive too.

No offense to anyone of Mexican heritage

turbostud
01-25-2006, 10:19 AM

I mean, if a Israeli terrorist wants to bomb the crap outta something, their either going by boat, plane or

Israeli terrorist???? Last time I checked Israel wasnt producing to many terrorists.

SnyTigBaseB07
01-25-2006, 10:21 AM
Well then I stand corrected

But i mean just terrorists overall, no one in particular

turbostud
01-25-2006, 10:24 AM
Hmmmmm......To bad we dont have what the Israelis have.

http://tomeaker.com/mb/bft600.jpg

SnyTigBaseB07
01-25-2006, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by turbostud
Hmmmmm......To bad we dont have what the Israelis have.

http://tomeaker.com/mb/bft600.jpg

Haha i bet there is a mine field somewhere there

then my ideas of a mine field here wouldnt be completely unfounded.

turbostud
01-25-2006, 10:28 AM

If not a mine field at least some electricity or motion dectectors to alert them if someone is trying to cross. But It wouldnt surprise me if the Israelis had a few mines that just happened to be planted in there.

SnyTigBaseB07
01-25-2006, 10:32 AM
Its crazy though, look at that picture of our border...there are miles and miles of open land, no people near it, are we really trying to stop drugs and weapons from getting in?

I mean, crap once they get into Texas they blend in....You cant just pick out whos doing what (well...sometimes you can) so we need to do something about this eventually or more americans will just keep losing jobs. But i'm still opposed to the idea of a wall.

HighSchool Fan
01-25-2006, 10:32 AM

so let's have a mine field so they can come over and die and then get the ACLU to sue the USA. i can see your point now, let them enter our mine fields and take a chance of dying instead of just trying to keep them away with a wall

SnyTigBaseB07
01-25-2006, 10:35 AM
so let's have a mine field so they can come over and die and then get the ACLU to sue the USA. i can see your point now, let them enter our mine fields and take a chance of dying instead of just trying to keep them away with a wall

That was sarcasm i wouldnt want a mine field either....just put a sign out there that says it...only a few people will try it.

turbostud
01-25-2006, 10:56 AM
This is exactly what we need.

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/images/israel/fence4.jpg

SnyTigBaseB07
01-25-2006, 10:57 AM
HOLY CRAP!

That'd be an overkill...although i like some of it like the paved roads for patrols..crap go for it.

turbostud
01-25-2006, 11:03 AM
Check out this graph. Its works for the Israelis.

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/images/israel/fencestat.gif

SnyTigBaseB07
01-25-2006, 11:06 AM
Check out this graph. Its works for the Israelis.

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/images/israel/fencestat.gif

Well if it works for them thats great

Even though i mentioned the possibility i'm not sure i've ever heard of any suicide attacks by the mexican community. Now if that becoms an issue then the wall is a good idea...until then i dunno..i'd say stick with patrols, maybe put some more towers up and hire some more americans to work them.

turbostud
01-25-2006, 11:10 AM
Well if it works for them thats great

Even though i mentioned the possibility i'm not sure i've ever heard of any suicide attacks by the mexican community. Now if that becoms an issue then the wall is a good idea...until then i dunno..i'd say stick with patrols, maybe put some more towers up and hire some more americans to work them.

LOL, I posted the graph to show how the fence keeps people out not prevent suicide attacks in the USA from Mexico. :doh:

olddawggreen
01-25-2006, 11:11 AM
Ive crossed the borders of both Isreal and Mexico, and let me tell you, it ain't the same. We could (and probably are) take some lessons from Isreal on how to secure our borders.:)

SnyTigBaseB07
01-25-2006, 11:12 AM
LOL, I posted the graph to show how the fence keeps people out not prevent suicide attacks in the USA from Mexico. :doh:

AHhahaha...well i read the top of it, so i was like "uhhh ok" lol anyways.(bear with me i am on meds for the sickness)

Isnt the USA/Mexico border bigger than the Samarian/Israeli border?

Black_Magic
01-25-2006, 11:16 AM
Our country is so screwed up. Here we Depend on these imigrants and even Ilegals to fill these low wage jobs americans wont do then we want to throw up a wall to stop it...

turbostud
01-25-2006, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Black_Magic
Our country is so screwed up. Here we Depend on these imigrants and even Ilegals to fill these low wage jobs americans wont do then we want to throw up a wall to stop it...

There are plenty of people here already to fill those low wage jobs that americans dont want to do and there are plenty here that are living off the government/taxpayer dime.

Check out this article and pay close attention to the graph at the bottom of the page.

McAllen alone let in over 71k people from countries other than Mexico in fiscal year 05.

Texas all together let in almost 110k.

Pretty scary numbers if you ask me.
LINK (http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/mexico/tijuana/20051130-9999-1n30detain.html#name)

olddawggreen
01-25-2006, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Black_Magic

We're not talking about stopping legal crossings or immigration, only about stopping illeagal immigration and getting some kind of control of our borders.

olddawggreen
01-25-2006, 12:52 PM
There are plenty of people here already to fill those low wage jobs that americans dont want to do and there are plenty here that are living off the government/taxpayer dime.

Check out this article and pay close attention to the graph at the bottom of the page.

McAllen alone let in over 71k people from countries other than Mexico in fiscal year 05.

Texas all together let in almost 110k.

Pretty scary numbers if you ask me.
LINK (http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/mexico/tijuana/20051130-9999-1n30detain.html#name)

Whats even scarier is the number that don't get caught. Basicly all the illegals traveling on foot from McAllen north through Falfurrias along the Highway 281 route have to pass through my cousins ranch, theres no way around it, north or south of highway 281 for quite a few miles. My cousin has told me that it is very different now, very different people coming through these days, and very unsafe. She will not travel on their ranch alone any more, just too much risk. Now I think theres something terribly wrong with that picture. :mad::mad:

pirate44
01-25-2006, 01:00 PM
Whats even scarier is the number that don't get caught. Basicly all the illegals traveling on foot from McAllen north through Falfurrias along the Highway 281 route have to pass through my cousins ranch, theres no way around it, north or south of highway 281 for quite a few miles. My cousin has told me that it is very different now, very different people coming through these days, and very unsafe. She will not travel on their ranch alone any more, just too much risk. Now I think theres something terribly wrong with that picture. :mad::mad:
has he ever tried shooting 'em?

sahen
01-25-2006, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by pirate44
has he ever tried shooting 'em?
prolly screws up some international law....not to mention if they wont travel alone maybe some of them are traveling in armed bands? u dont wanna shoot someone when his buddy has a gun too...

SnyTigBaseB07
01-25-2006, 05:38 PM
prolly screws up some international law....not to mention if they wont travel alone maybe some of them are traveling in armed bands? u dont wanna shoot someone when his buddy has a gun too...

Unless you know you're a better shot.....then you hide and snipe em!

RMAC
01-26-2006, 12:53 AM
Everybody stop and just listen for a sec. We need to do a few things.
1) Resorect the Duke.
2) Get the Duke and Texas National Guard together.
3) Invade Mexico.

Simple as that.:D