1. Fredericksburg
2. Lukenbach
3. Padre Island
4. Alpine
5. El Paso
6. Toledo Bend or Sam Rayburn Lakes

AP Panther Fan
01-24-2006, 05:11 PM
Bull, if you are going to make it to Alpine, you need to drive the additional 80 miles to Terlingua and Big Bend National Park. The McDonald Observatory isn't too far and the Marfa lights are still on my list of things I want to see in that area.:cool:

HighSchool Fan
01-24-2006, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Been back in Texas for 30 years and surprisingly have never made it to:

1. Fredericksburg
2. Lukenbach
3. Padre Island
4. Alpine
5. El Paso

i can't believe that you don't have Collinsville on your list of places to visit :(

Adidas410s
01-24-2006, 05:22 PM

1. Fredericksburg
2. Lukenbach
3. Padre Island
4. Alpine
5. El Paso

1. Fredericksburg...definitely worth it! :thumbsup:
2. Lukenbach...has really gone downhill in the past few years and is more of a tourist attraction instead of a "hidden gem" of Texas
3. Padre Island...make sure you go to S Padre...N Padre isn't anything special
4. Alpine...seriously...do you REALLY want to go here??? :thinking:
5. El Paso...I guess...just don't look south...it's not very pretty! El Paso does have "it's moments" though
6. Toledo Bend or Sam Rayburn Lakes...no arguement here

Heck all over the Hill Country is always a great time to visit. If you like history, I know you can start north of Corpus (i forget where) and take the "Texas Independence Trail" from Goliad (it may start closer to Corpus than this...I don't remember) and it takes you up through Washington on the Brazos and on into Beaumont. It's really a great trek to make. Dad took me on it a long time ago when I took Texas History in Junior High.

Just a thought...

Adidas410s
01-24-2006, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
Bull, if you are going to make it to Alpine, you need to drive the additional 80 miles to Terlingua and Big Bend National Park. The McDonald Observatory isn't too far and the Marfa lights are still on my list of things I want to see in that area.:cool:

yeah...skip Alpine and do this instead :thumbsup:

Bullaholic
01-24-2006, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
i can't believe that you don't have Collinsville on your list of places to visit :(

HSF, Collinsville is one of those places I've been to a few times---nice town. Lots of nice homes there.

You're right,AP---there's lots to see in the Big Bend Country.

Ya'll both have to remember that there are a lot of places in Texas I can't go back to from my younger days. ;)

Bullaholic
01-24-2006, 05:33 PM
For just pure scenic beauty what's the prettiest place in Texas you have ever been?

sww-bull52
01-24-2006, 05:35 PM
I grew up in Junction so I would have to say anywhere between there and San Antonio. Llano is a very nice place too.

Adidas410s
01-24-2006, 05:39 PM
For just pure scenic beauty what's the prettiest place in Texas you have ever been?

Hwy 183 south of Goldthwaite for about 2 weeks in April...or maybe 25 south out of Austin...or 6 south out of College Station...

you get the idea....anyways they all look like this:

From Brenham, TX

http://www.spotswood-computer.net/images/bluebonnets1024_13.jpg

From Decatur, TX

http://www.electricscotland.com/history/america/donna/picturebook/images/Bluebonnets.jpg

With Indian Paint Brushes...my personal favorite

http://sundancerswest.com/bbpb.JPG

OOPS...:rolleyes:

http://taxisgraphics.com/web-data/Coltsweb/images/colt%20in%20bluebonnets.jpg

HighSchool Fan
01-24-2006, 05:39 PM

the drive from fredericksburg to kerrville to bandera to leakey is awesome.

AP Panther Fan
01-24-2006, 05:40 PM

Kinda depends on your preferences, but Highway 183 from Refugio to Goliad, Cuero, Gonzales, and Luling is scenic farm and ranchland. Very peaceful looking:thinking:

AP Panther Fan
01-24-2006, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
the drive from fredericksburg to kerrville to bandera to leakey is awesome.

Also from Leakey to Vanderpool and the Lost Maples area...:thinking:

AP Panther Fan
01-24-2006, 05:56 PM
Also from Leakey to Vanderpool and the Lost Maples area...:thinking:

This is a link to the State Park, but if you ever go, Foxfire Cabins are a pretty neat place to stay......

Lost Maples (http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/findadest/parks/lost_maples/)

Old Green
01-24-2006, 06:47 PM
Also from Leakey to Vanderpool and the Lost Maples area...:thinking: I agree. The Leakey to Camp Wood and back to Bandera is some of the most scenic area's in Texas. I was just there this weekend.:) Great area for touring on a motorcycle.

sinton66
01-24-2006, 07:42 PM
I've been to the first five, and they're all great. I want to go out to Big Bend and canoe down the Rio Grande.

Ranger Mom
01-25-2006, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by Old Green
I agree. The Leakey to Camp Wood and back to Bandera is some of the most scenic area's in Texas. I was just there this weekend.:) Great area for touring on a motorcycle.

We went on Vacation to Camp Wood one time, stayed at Cooksies Park, or something like that.....we had a BLAST!

Of course, I am basically an "outdoors type of tom-boy" so I didn't mind roughing it!

SnyTigBaseB07
01-25-2006, 02:08 AM

1. Fredericksburg
2. Lukenbach
3. Padre Island
4. Alpine
5. El Paso

Ehh El Paso..lol you aint missing much..its polluted like crazy in some parts!

Old Green
01-25-2006, 06:12 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
We went on Vacation to Camp Wood one time, stayed at Cooksies Park, or something like that.....we had a BLAST!

Of course, I am basically an "outdoors type of tom-boy" so I didn't mind roughing it! We stayed at Rocky River Camp a couple of miles from there. Had a blast. I sent LhPM pics of the big Party.:)

piratebg
01-25-2006, 08:01 AM
Shriner- for Bocktoberfest

South Padre Island- for some reason I have never been that far on the island

Big Bend/Choke Canyon- always wanted to go camping at one or the other

STANG RED
01-25-2006, 08:32 AM
South Padre Island - never been there but always wanted to go.

NASA - I hate the thought of going to Houston, but some day I am going to tour NASA.

Big Bend - I dont know why I have never been there, but always wanted to go. go to McDonald Observatory while Im there.

Corpus Christi - been there only once. only got to spend 1 hour touring the USS Lexington (WWII Carrier). I want to go back and spend how ever much time it takes to tour the whole ship.

Tour 18 Golf Course - I know there is one somewhere in Texas but I forget where it is. Wherever it is, I want to go play it one time at least.

San Antonio River Walk - Have been there several times, but I always look forward to going back. Lots of great food and lots of things to see. I really enjoy just kicking back on a river taxi and just riding and looking around.

LH Panther Mom
01-25-2006, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Corpus Christi - been there only once. only got to spend 1 hour touring the USS Lexington (WWII Carrier). I want to go back and spend how ever much time it takes to tour the whole ship.

My husband and the boys have spent the night on there with Scouts. :)

HighSchool Fan
01-25-2006, 09:13 AM

Tour 18 Golf Course - I know there is one somewhere in Texas but I forget where it is. Wherever it is, I want to go play it one time at least.

there is one in houston and one in lewisville

Phil C
01-25-2006, 11:40 AM
I would like to go to Sonora and visit for a couple of days. Probably never will get to though. :(

SnyTigBaseB07
01-25-2006, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
I would like to go to Sonora and visit for a couple of days. Probably never will get to though. :(

I've got a friend who lives in Sonora...she says its nice. But she misses Snyder (which is amazing.....lol)

District303aPastPlayer
01-25-2006, 12:02 PM

San Antonio River Walk - Have been there several times, but I always look forward to going back. Lots of great food and lots of things to see. I really enjoy just kicking back on a river taxi and just riding and looking around.

Corpus... the lex is awesome to watch at night... like really nice... its all blue...

and the Riverwalk - well... walking it is alot better.... park at the dennys downtown, walk across the street, and start on the walk...

DaHop72
01-25-2006, 12:13 PM
South Padre Island - never been there but always wanted to go.

NASA - I hate the thought of going to Houston, but some day I am going to tour NASA.

Big Bend - I dont know why I have never been there, but always wanted to go. go to McDonald Observatory while Im there.

Went to Port Aransas this summer and did the Lexington tour as well. Hot as heck in July.
Tour 18 courses are in Flower Mound and Humble.

STANG RED
01-25-2006, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
Corpus... the lex is awesome to watch at night... like really nice... its all blue...

and the Riverwalk - well... walking it is alot better.... park at the dennys downtown, walk across the street, and start on the walk...

I'v gotten to where I just break down and pay to park in the parking garage at the River Center Mall. I got tired of getting back in my car and getting 2nd degree burns from the seats. But yea, I really like walking it also, but when I get tired I jump on a river taxi and kick back.

pirate44
01-25-2006, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
I would like to go to Sonora and visit for a couple of days. Probably never will get to though. :( the caverns are gorgeous Phil.

Adidas410s
01-25-2006, 01:51 PM

I've played Tour 18 in Lewisville 2 or 3 times. I forget how many. When you play it you have to remember one thing...where as a normal golf course has "easier" holes on it to setup the signature holes...Tour 18 doesn't. It is very mentally draining in that you are pressed to hit a good shot EVERY shot. This alone makes it far more difficult than a normal golf course.

Also, the one downer is that people don't feel the need to fix their divots in the greens. The course has put a lot into those greens in the last 2 years to try and improve them but some are still quite torn up. It's really a shame that people would want to play a course of that caliber and then treat it like crap.

I've got some pics on my home computer from Tour 18 so I will post a few on here when I get home. It's an awesome course. Definitely in the top 2 courses that I have played along with the PGA West Stadium Course where the Skins game used to be held and where the recently completed Bob Hope takes place. However, the Hope didn't use the Stadium Course this year.

Bullaholic
01-25-2006, 01:54 PM
How many of you have tried out the Schlitterbahn and floated the river at New Braunfels?

STANG RED
01-25-2006, 02:00 PM
How many of you have tried out the Schlitterbahn and floated the river at New Braunfels?

I have been many times. The secret though, is to go in the middle of the week, and toward the end of the season. Weekends are a nightmare. Way too many people and too much standing in line.
However, you will get more boobey flashes on the river on a weekend.

DaHop72
01-25-2006, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
I've played Tour 18 in Lewisville 2 or 3 times. I forget how many. When you play it you have to remember one thing...where as a normal golf course has "easier" holes on it to setup the signature holes...Tour 18 doesn't. It is very mentally draining in that you are pressed to hit a good shot EVERY shot. This alone makes it far more difficult than a normal golf course.

Also, the one downer is that people don't feel the need to fix their divots in the greens. The course has put a lot into those greens in the last 2 years to try and improve them but some are still quite torn up. It's really a shame that people would want to play a course of that caliber and then treat it like crap.

I've got some pics on my home computer from Tour 18 so I will post a few on here when I get home. It's an awesome course. Definitely in the top 2 courses that I have played along with the PGA West Stadium Course where the Skins game used to be held and where the recently completed Bob Hope takes place. However, the Hope didn't use the Stadium Course this year.
I've played both Tour 18 courses and I like one in Flower Mound better because you finish on Amen corner. At Humble Amen corner is stuck in the middle of the front nine.

Ranger Mom
01-25-2006, 02:23 PM

I did that before Schlitterbahn was even there....I remember coming out some man-made chute!

Adidas410s
01-25-2006, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I did that before Schlitterbahn was even there....I remember coming out some man-made chute!

that is still there...

and floating the Comal on a hot summer day...can life get any better???

Phil C
01-25-2006, 03:37 PM
I went to a conference at New Braunfels about 9 years ago and during the afternoon off went down the River and it was great!
Another good part is that I won a two day expense paid trip to the Slitterbaun for the family and we got to come back the following summer and had a great time there.

raider red 2000
01-25-2006, 03:49 PM
best lookin place in the state- tech campus in the spring...lots of scenery ;)

the river is great....i cant wait till the summer to float again....we usually do it a couple of times during the summer months...it is great...until the cooler topples and the beer floats away.

Leopards,class of 75
01-25-2006, 07:27 PM
South Padre Island is a must see!!! I would like to see Big Bend National Park. I have been to most parts of this great state of Texas.

Hupernikomen
01-25-2006, 09:04 PM
Caddo Lake is very scenic area to visit. Largest natural lake in the state.

DaHop72
01-25-2006, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen
Caddo Lake is very scenic area to visit. Largest natural lake in the state.
Man, there is nothing to drive up your blood pressure when you lure is hit by a chain pickerel and nothing more disappointing then when the big bass you thought you had just snagged is a danged ole pickerel as well. If you go in the fall with the fog hanging low, cutting through some of the government ditches you expect Big Foot to come out at any time.

MHSvarsity2007
01-26-2006, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by Leopards,class of 75
South Padre Island is a must see!!! I would like to see Big Bend National Park. I have been to most parts of this great state of Texas.

i loooooove south padre...i loved the schlitterbahn they had there too!