PDA

View Full Version : Can Any School In Texas Beat UT?

Bullaholic
01-24-2006, 02:41 PM
I wonder if any school in Texas will be able to challenge UT in any of the major sports anytime soon? Surely some school in the state will be able to give the 'Horns a run at something. I am a longtime UT fan, and I would like to see them continue on top but I would like to see a more competitive arena within Texas---that is more fun for everybody. This thread is not intended to glorify UT as the "king" of collegiate athletics in Texas, but rather a legitmate inquiry of fans of other schools to ask them to give their opinions of what the "bright" areas are going to be for their particular favorite Texas school.

STANG RED
01-24-2006, 02:50 PM
I'm not a big UT fan, but your right, they seem to be on a high in just about every sport now. Surely they suck somewhere, I just dont know where that is right now.

AP Panther Fan
01-24-2006, 02:56 PM
Texas A&M Corpus Christi.....

Ultimate Frisbee

Looking for a new sport? Ultimate Frisbee is a new sport club on campus and is looking for enthusiastic people to come and play.

Ultimate Frisbee practices/plays on Saturdays (6/5 - 12/4) at 4 p.m. on the Intramural Field by the Field House.

Bulldog_12
01-24-2006, 02:57 PM
I am sure things will change soon. Things like this tend to happen in cycles. Someone else will take over the power soon. God Forbid the best chance might be Baylor if we talk overall sports.

STANG RED
01-24-2006, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Bulldog_12
I am sure things will change soon. Things like this tend to happen in cycles. Someone else will take over the power soon. God Forbid the best chance might be Baylor if we talk overall sports.

You just might be right. TT has got some pretty good programs to though.

Old Tiger
01-24-2006, 03:13 PM
Baylor in womens b-ball....maybe

SnyTigBaseB07
01-24-2006, 03:14 PM

Ya know Baylor almost beat UT last year in baseball, its quite possible it could happen this year ya know.!

GOTTA HAVE FAITH!
SIC 'EM BEARS!!!!

Maroon87
01-24-2006, 03:15 PM
They finally got the right coaches in place, especially in football and men's basketball, where they were mediocre at best not long ago.

Maroon87
01-24-2006, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by SnyTigBaseB07
Ya know Baylor almost beat UT last year in baseball, its quite possible it could happen this year ya know.!

GOTTA HAVE FAITH!
SIC 'EM BEARS!!!!

Actually Baylor swept UT in the regular season, but UT knocked them out of the CWS.

SnyTigBaseB07
01-24-2006, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
Actually Baylor swept UT in the regular season, but UT knocked them out of the CWS.

Right, thats what i was referring to, probably could have rephrased it though. lol.

turbostud
01-24-2006, 03:28 PM
Rice usually is pretty decent in baseball. They won the CWS a couple of years ago.

A&M in football. You can never count them out and they always play UT tough. They can only get better. They have great tradition. May be a few years though as UT seems to be getting a great recruiting class.

sahen
01-24-2006, 04:48 PM
yah we at Baylor tend to be really good at the sports no one really watches....but i guess that is better than sucking at everything!

HighSchool Fan
01-24-2006, 04:52 PM
Doesn't Baylor usually have one of the best track programs in the country?

Adidas410s
01-24-2006, 04:57 PM
Baylor (and maybe A&M) should beat UT in Men's tennis and probably in women's tennis...other than that...doubt it

LH OffseasonVet
01-24-2006, 05:08 PM
Saw this on the Baylor athletics website I think some of these rankings are from last year though:

SPORT - OVERALL - BIG 12 - BIG 12 RANK - NAT'L RANK

Baseball 46-24, 19-8, 1st, 4th

M-Basketball 0-2, 0-2, --, NR

W-Basketball 13-3, 3-3, --, 8th

M-Cross-Country -- -- -- NR

W-Cross-Country -- -- -- 13th

Football 5-6, 2-6, --, NR

M-Golf -- -- -- 22nd

W-Golf -- -- -- 30th

Soccer 4-12-2, 2-7-1, 10th, NR

Softball 51-14, 11-7, 4th, 10th

M-Tennis 33-1, 7-0, 1st, 2nd

W-Tennis 1-0, 0-0, --, 9th

M-Track/Field -- -- -- T-25th

W-Track/Field -- -- -- NR

Volleyball 15-17, 6-14, 9th, NR

sahen
01-24-2006, 05:42 PM
men's tennis, baseball, and softball r from last year...the rest r up to date i think.....

and yes baylor has a great track program, esp in the 400 meter and 4X400m relay, this year is supposed to be our best team year however in a long time....but like i said we r very good and dominate in most sports that people dont really watch like men/women's tennis, track, and you could make a case that baseball and women's bball isnt really watched that much, it isnt if u compare them to football and men's bball....

KTJ
01-24-2006, 05:52 PM

Cycles for a particular sport---yes.

Cycles for an entire athletic department--no.

gtownpoke
01-24-2006, 05:56 PM
I bet Highland Park thinks they could beat Texas!!

Bullaholic
01-24-2006, 06:03 PM
The hard thing for me to understand is why UT has become so dominant in some many sports so quickly---and I do give all of their programs complete credit for their tremendous accomplishments. Texas A&M has had recruiting classes rated near, or as good as UT for the last several years. We all know that extra-Texas schools have drawn on the "talent" for a long time, also. So what are UT's secrets to success---superior coaching staffs which are paid more? larger athletic budgets? superior training facillities? or just superior athletes commiting to UT?

HighSchool Fan
01-24-2006, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by gtownpoke
I bet Highland Park thinks they could beat Texas!!

them are celina

sinton66
01-24-2006, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by SnyTigBaseB07

GOTTA HAVE FAITH!
SIC 'EM BEARS!!!!

Depends on who's pitching for Texas.:D :D :D

Rainman
01-24-2006, 08:53 PM
Rice in baseball

sinton66
01-24-2006, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by Rainman
Rice in baseball

Again, depends on who's on the mound for Texas.

KTJ
01-24-2006, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
The hard thing for me to understand is why UT has become so dominant in some many sports so quickly---and I do give all of their programs complete credit for their tremendous accomplishments. Texas A&M has had recruiting classes rated near, or as good as UT for the last several years. We all know that extra-Texas schools have drawn on the "talent" for a long time, also. So what are UT's secrets to success---superior coaching staffs which are paid more? larger athletic budgets? superior training facillities? or just superior athletes commiting to UT?

Texas just has that appeal to it. Athletes from all over the country want to come to UT--not just Texas athletes. I saw an article from A&M praising the fact that they had more Texas recruits on their roster than UT has. (overall sports). But what they failed to mention is that UT is a recruiting power in Texas and NATIONALLY. It says something about your programs when players from Arizona, North Carolina, Illinois, Florida, California, and Alabama are knocking on your door wanting to play football, basketball, run track, play baseball or some other sport for UT. I'm sure A&M, Baylor, and Texas Tech has a few nationally known recruits knocking on their door. In fact, I know they do. But said number isn't as high as it is for UT.

And because of this, Texas is more of a household name. With the colors to the bevo head to Texas just succeeding in every single sport; that's what makes us known virtually everywhere. I remember a poll back last year that said "what school do you constantly see on TV for some sort of athletic event" and Texas was #1 with about 40% of the vote, I think Tennesse or Florida was #2, North Carolina was third, some Big 10 school was forth, and I think Oklahoma was 5th. So that helps as well.

Honestly, it's just one of those questions you can't really answer. It's just the way it is. And I like it. :D

AggieJohn
01-25-2006, 01:19 AM
a&m came the closest that any team beside USC and OSU to beating texas this year, they beat texas last year in basketball once and beat them in baseball.......

and yes cycles happen in departments and sports......

sahen
01-25-2006, 01:28 AM
Baylor has a lot of international athletes in both men's and women's basketball and of course men's and women's tennis (where we apparantly wrong American students)....sometimes i think we have more international appeal to athletes than national appeal, i wonder y that is? anyway, yah Texas is more of a national icon than the other schools for now but like someone said earlier it goes in cycles and it goes w/ both football and men's basketball mainly, if Texas starts losing in them (which they shouldnt for a while) then their appeal will go down....just look at miami and florida, they were all u heard about for a while there when they were dominating in football, same w/ nebraska and oklahoma, it all goes w/ who is winning because that is who they show on tv....its like anything in America, its always "what have you done for me lately?" and lately Texas has done a lot....

Bearkat
01-25-2006, 10:22 AM
Any team in Texas has a chance of beating UT in baseball. Not taking anything away from the champs, but that's how baseball goes. This is what makes baseball so fun to watch. You never know when an under-dog gets that big hit to steal a victory. Good luck to all Texas teams in the upcoming season.

Old Tiger
01-25-2006, 11:14 AM
I heard A&M has a pretty good archery team.

Phil C
01-25-2006, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic

Bull I think a big factor is Austin and UT are great places to live and also get a great education. Remember UT has limited scholarships just like everyone else.

Phil C
01-25-2006, 11:36 AM
The Lady Aggies have a great chance in soccer and will be favored this year. They keep more players on their rosters than UT even though UT will have a great team also.
And even though UT has the CAT coming back one more year the Big 12 coaches chose the Lady Aggies as conference favorites this spring.

KTJ
01-25-2006, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Bearkat
Any team in Texas has a chance of beating UT in baseball. Not taking anything away from the champs, but that's how baseball goes. This is what makes baseball so fun to watch. You never know when an under-dog gets that big hit to steal a victory. Good luck to all Texas teams in the upcoming season.

Well it's not like we're going to go undefeated or anything. Cause we aren't. nor are we supposed to.