PDA

View Full Version : 2 sports that aren't sports

Chief Ohera
01-23-2006, 11:54 PM
Brothers, i'm on to something,
i have debated this over and over w/ all of my coworkers and friends, so here it is,
two sports that shouldn't be played and shouldn't be called a sport.
follow closely,
1. GOLF, come on now, this so called sport can be played by anyone, literally, you can be fat out of shape, handicap, 60 years old, and just anything else and still play this event, come on, it is not fast pace and doesn't take a real athlete that trains in the weight room and watches his or her diet to partisipate in.
GOLF is a joke and shouldn't be allowed on TV,
2. NASCAR, or RACECARS b/c that's what i call them, it is the same as golf you don't have to be an athlete to race cars and push pedals and talk and listen into headphones.
TRACK and FIELD is the most pure and true sport there is in the world,
this is just my 4 cents on everything,
BOOMER SOONERS
until next time..........

lepfan
01-23-2006, 11:56 PM
My little stir stick friend :) ;)

We do agree on one thing!

Pirate66
01-23-2006, 11:56 PM
actually it just shows that in nascar the people have gotten smarter and they drive in circles instead of running i circles like in track&field

Gobbla2001
01-23-2006, 11:57 PM
I agree with you on Nascar... cars going around and around, the closest to a sport it gets is in the pits...

Brotha brotha brotha... :cool:

GreenMonster
01-23-2006, 11:57 PM
I wouldn't give you a plug nickel for your opinions, but hey, it's a free country. Besides, you might be on to something.

DaHop72
01-23-2006, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by Chief Ohera
i have debated this over and over w/ all of my coworkers and friends, so here it is,
follow closely,
1. GOLF, come on now, this so called sport can be played by anyone, literally, you can be fat out of shape, handicap, 60 years old, and just anything else and still play this event, come on, it is not fast pace and doesn't take a real athlete that trains in the weight room and watches his or her diet to partisipate in.
2. NASCAR, or RACECARS b/c that's what i call them, it is the same as golf you don't have to be an athlete to race cars and push pedals and talk and listen into headphones.
BOOMER SOONERS
Grab you clubs, bring your money and drag your happy rear to West Texas. injured and I will show you a little about the sport of golf. Oh, wait a minute you only know about tennis, track and boomer sooners.:evil: :evil: And very little about those.

MHSvarsity2007
01-23-2006, 11:59 PM
heyyy i play golf... :(

DaHop72
01-24-2006, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by lepfan
My little stir stick friend :) ;)

We do agree on one thing!
Ok, lepfan watch it or I'm going to quit defending you.:D

SnyTigBaseB07
Originally posted by MHSvarsity2007
heyyy i play golf... :(

And thats what makes it great!!!

I enjoy golf on the weekends!

Chief Ohera
i must reply, golf is so boring come on now ole' man, it just keeps people from having to do something else this sport is weak and requires very little physical condition.
do not test me on the sport of track and field, please don't, golf is so old and look at all of those fat guys on the tour, they disgust me,
until next time...............

DaHop72
01-24-2006, 12:04 AM
i must reply, golf is so boring come on now ole' man, it just keeps people from having to do something else this sport is weak and requires very little physical condition.
do not test me on the sport of track and field, please don't, golf is so old and look at all of those fat guys on the tour, they disgust me,
And trust me old man, come get some. Golf takes as much hand eye as any other sport and it's obvious you must stink at it to hammer it so.

Gobbla2001

do not test me

Already have, you failed... like broke a hip or somethin'...

:D

lepfan
Originally posted by DaHop72
Ok, lepfan watch it or I'm going to quit defending you.:D Hey, you surely get the first comment! And what can I say....it is the Boomer Sooner thing we agree on :D ...Sooner born and Sooner bred and when I die I'll be Sooner dead.....;) :)

lepfan
01-24-2006, 12:05 AM
Golf takes as much hand eye as any other sport I don't know that I could hit that little ball and get it in that little hole under 200 shots!

Gobbla2001
01-24-2006, 12:06 AM
I'll be Sooner dead.....;) :)

Be glad I love ya, or I'd reply "The sooner the better" haha...

damn sooners ;) :D

DaHop72
01-24-2006, 12:07 AM
Hey, you surely get the first comment! And what can I say....it is the Boomer Sooner thing we agree on :D ...Sooner born and Sooner bred and when I die I'll be Sooner dead.....;) :)
Ok, if it's the second thing you agree on, I'll give you a pass. The difference is you are a true Sooner fan. I think the Chief is a wanna be bandwagoneer.

Chief Ohera
brother gobble
you are a funny character, i know more track than you ever would, i want to know your thoughts on this topic, i like reading your thoughts b/c you are a funny man, just interested in what you have to say about those two sports.

MHSvarsity2007

k well in high school, you walk 18 holes and carry a bag with clubs in it so you gotta be in some form of physical condition.

lepfan
01-24-2006, 12:08 AM
Ok, if it's the second thing you agree on, I'll give you a pass. The difference is you are a true Sooner fan. I think the Chief is a wanna be bandwagoneer. Whew! Thanks...I need all the friends I can get!:kiss:

GreenMonster
01-24-2006, 12:09 AM
I don't know that I could hit that little ball and get it in that little hole under 200 shots!

That is why it should be played by MEN. We know all about getting that LITTLE thing into that little whole. :D

It's big enough for me! :D

MHSvarsity2007
01-24-2006, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
That is why it should be played by MEN. We know all about getting that LITTLE thing into that little whole. :D

It's big enough for me! :D

HAHAHAHA :clap:

Gobbla2001
01-24-2006, 12:12 AM
brother gobble
you are a funny character, i know more track than you ever would, i want to know your thoughts on this topic, i like reading your thoughts b/c you are a funny man, just interested in what you have to say about those two sports.

I know a lot about track, the Gobblers won the whole deal this year...

Anyhoo...

Golf - You have to swing the club with power, you have to hit it far enough and straight enough, and have to make it in the hole... just like you have to pass the ball far enough to get to the receiver, hard enough to get it to him and past the defender, and straight into the receiver's arms... Plus you are out in the elements...

I believe golf is a sport, though not a 'team' sport...

Bowling is more less of a sport than golf...

Track and field is for sure a sport, no doubt there...

Nascar just doesn't interest me... might as well park your car infront of the interstate and hold up redneck signs to get that feel... but that's just me...

Chief Ohera
01-24-2006, 12:19 AM
thanks gobbler you have some interesting insight.
until next time...................

lepfan
01-24-2006, 12:19 AM

It's big enough for me! :D :eek: :eek: :eek:

GreenMonster
01-24-2006, 12:22 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Sorry, you forgot to close the door so I walked on in ruined your evening :D

lepfan
01-24-2006, 12:25 AM
Sorry, you forgot to close the door so I walked on in ruined your evening :D I do that often!!!:doh:

injuredinmelee
01-24-2006, 12:38 AM
there are different levels of sport in my opinion.

Golf tennis and some other things are to me a little more like leisure activities. Tennis probably being closer to a sport than golf.
However any thing where you are given a score by a judge liek gymnastics, diving, bull riding etc is NOT a sport. They might be physical but NOT sports.

Ranger Rebel
01-24-2006, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
there are different levels of sport in my opinion.

Golf tennis and some other things are to me a little more like leisure activities. Tennis probably being closer to a sport than golf.
However any thing where you are given a score by a judge liek gymnastics, diving, bull riding etc is NOT a sport. They might be physical but NOT sports.

I think I agree!

My son rides bulls and I have never considered it a sport....more like stupid really!:D

OOPS!! I forgot I was on my daughters computer...this is Ranger Mom:p

DU_stud04
01-24-2006, 01:32 AM
what makes a sport a sport?

me and some friends were having a discussion on what makes a sport a sport and we argued till we all passed out

what do yall think.....is body building a sport???

injuredinmelee
01-24-2006, 01:33 AM
i think body building is a Leisure activity. Sure it requires physical activity but it something that is judged by humans that can not be impartial

SnyTigBaseB07
01-24-2006, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
i think body building is a Leisure activity. Sure it requires physical activity but it something that is judged by humans that can not be impartial

Does that mean baseball isnt a real sport..i mean the balls and strikes are judged by humans as well as outs and everything else....so...ya?

DU_stud04
01-24-2006, 01:53 AM
i know, i finally gave in and said it was a sport...then got harrased by other people that said if bodybuilding is a sport then so is beauty pagent.......whatever

ill stick to my main ones...baseball, futbol, american football, basketball......

injuredinmelee
01-24-2006, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by SnyTigBaseB07
Does that mean baseball isnt a real sport..i mean the balls and strikes are judged by humans as well as outs and everything else....so...ya?
baseball is a sticky issue. There are very strict and very easy to understand parameters to a baseball game. Its easier to say a guy got tothe bag before the throw than it is to say that soem little 14 yr old girl with no upstairs development landed a triple lutz to perfection.

SnyTigBaseB07
01-24-2006, 02:24 AM
haha i suppose

However...i say that everything is a sport except 1)Poker 2)Pool 3)Some Gymnastics 4)Bowling 5)Cricket!!!! and 6)Shuffleboard!!!!!

gobbler grad
01-24-2006, 08:27 AM
follow closely,
BOOMER SOONERS

well, get your 60 yr.old fat , out of shape self off the couch and lets walk 18 holes and we'll see if you can hang...:kiss:

LH Panther Mom
01-24-2006, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
me and some friends were having a discussion on what makes a sport a sport and we argued till we all passed out

That sounds more like quarters to me. :p And no.....it's not a sport. ;)

DU_stud04
01-24-2006, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by SnyTigBaseB07
haha i suppose

However...i say that everything is a sport except 1)Poker 2)Pool 3)Some Gymnastics 4)Bowling 5)Cricket!!!! and 6)Shuffleboard!!!!!

hey, i play cricket......why cant that be a sport?!?!

Phil C
01-24-2006, 09:19 AM
Hey Chief I bet you are a big women's soccer college fan and softball too! :)

hata_hurta06
01-24-2006, 10:03 AM
u gotta love track!!!

SnyTigBaseB07
01-24-2006, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
hey, i play cricket......why cant that be a sport?!?!

Lol i just added that cuz i couldnt really think of anymore.... but you really play cricket...thats amazing. :clap:

DU_stud04
01-24-2006, 10:09 AM
yea....it gets kinda boring and the indian people up here dont want me to play with them anymore cause i hit it out of the grounds jsut about every time lol...so i think ill just stick to baseball

RMAC
01-26-2006, 01:10 AM
I don't watch Nascar that much, but I will say that it is a sport. Just look at what I have first. Let's run the numbers:

230 mph is 337 feet per second (f/s).
(337 f/s)2 / 750 feet = approximately 151 f/s2.
The acceleration due to gravity (1 G) is 32 f/s2.
151 / 32 = 4.74 Gs experienced by the drivers.

Drivers take an enormous amount of punishment on a track like this. This level of acceleration is higher than most people ever experience. Even the space shuttle only develops 3 Gs when it takes off. What's even more amazing is how long these drivers tolerate this kind of force. The Texas Motor Speedway is 1.5 miles (2.4 km) long: The front stretch is 2,250 feet (686 m) long, and the back stretch is 1,330 feet (405 m) long. At 230 mph (337 f/s), the drivers take about 6.5 seconds to go down the front stretch, and then they are slammed by almost 5 Gs of force for the next 6.5 seconds as they go around the turn. It only takes about 4 seconds to make it down the back stretch before the next turn and another 6.5 seconds of almost 5 Gs. If the planned 600-mile (966 km) race had taken place, the drivers would have gone back and forth between 5 and nearly zero Gs a total of 800 times.

Just my 2. . . well actually about 10 cents on the issue. Can I get some facts from anybody else against these?

HillBoy
01-26-2006, 03:24 AM
I would like to add that cheerleading is not a sport and if you think it is your wrong. I think someone will get mad at me for that comment.

3afan
01-26-2006, 05:45 AM
follow closely,
BOOMER SOONERS

another quality post .... *sigh*

bulldogbark
01-26-2006, 08:49 AM
are the Sooners a sport? I know they did run across the nation to get free land..but does that count?:D

Macarthur
01-26-2006, 10:14 AM
I think the original post is correct. Here's my line of logic.

Both Golf and rasing are athletic skills, but not sports. It does require some athletic skill to perform those. And the guys/gals that perform those skills may be very good athletes (i.e., Tiger), but it's still an athletic skill and not a sport.

By definition (my definition, I guess), a sport has to have some type of direct competition, some sort of clock (innings count), as melee said, your score has to be determined by some objective standard, not a judge, and finally, I think a sport must involve some type/combination of running, jumping, throwing/shooting, etc.

I think bowling falls into that category, as well. An athletic skill, but not a sport.

DaHop72
01-26-2006, 10:27 AM
definiton of sport from Merriam-Webster

1 a : a source of diversion : RECREATION b : sexual play c (1) : physical activity engaged in for pleasure (2) : a particular activity (as an athletic game) so engaged in

Black_Magic
01-26-2006, 11:16 AM
Golf is a sport. It takes skill to knock that little ball into a hole in fewer strokes than others..
Ice skateing is not niether is Gymnastics in my opinion. If you have to have a Judge that scores you and give an oppinion on hwo is better then thats not a true sport.... Nascar is not a sport.. they drive cars!:rolleyes:

Black_Magic
01-26-2006, 11:18 AM

1 a : a source of diversion : RECREATION b : sexual play c (1) : physical activity engaged in for pleasure :eek: :eek: Is there a world championship??:clap:

Snyder_TigerFan
01-26-2006, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Black_Magic
If you have to have a Judge that scores you and give an oppinion on hwo is better then thats not a true sport

Boxing comes to mind. I'd like to think thats a sport.

Black_Magic
01-26-2006, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by Snyder_TigerFan
Boxing comes to mind. I'd like to think thats a sport. It would be better if they would fight till one cant continue. No question on who is the best then

Snyder_TigerFan
01-26-2006, 11:22 AM
It would be better if they would fight till one cant continue. No question on who is the best then

Can't argue with that, that would be cool!

WTF-82
01-26-2006, 11:25 AM
BASEBALL

RMAC
01-26-2006, 12:42 PM
Golf is a sport. It takes skill to knock that little ball into a hole in fewer strokes than others..
Ice skateing is not niether is Gymnastics in my opinion. If you have to have a Judge that scores you and give an oppinion on hwo is better then thats not a true sport.... Nascar is not a sport.. they drive cars!:rolleyes:

BM, go back to the end of page 3 and read my post. I will say I'm not an avid NASCAR fan, but it's a sport. Give me some facts the prove otherwise.

Maroon87
01-26-2006, 12:46 PM
I love golf and NASCAR.:cool:

Macarthur
01-26-2006, 01:08 PM

Do you acknowledge a difference in being able to do an "athletic skill" versus playing a sport? I see those two as very different things.

Black_Magic
01-26-2006, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by RMAC
BM, go back to the end of page 3 and read my post. I will say I'm not an avid NASCAR fan, but it's a sport. Give me some facts the prove otherwise. Because these guys Drive Cars that propel them down the track. The car is what does the work. The cars are not the same ( i know they try to make them the same but they are not. some are better than others). You can have the weakest puny twerp drive or a short fat slow balled ( no offence Bubba Joe) man win if he pushes that peddle right.... Takes NO athletic ability at all to race cars. takes money though.

sww-bull52
01-26-2006, 02:05 PM

1 a : a source of diversion : RECREATION b : sexual play c (1) : physical activity engaged in for pleasure (2) : a particular activity (as an athletic game) so engaged in

So, instead of Porno, I've been watching sports?

Black_Magic
01-26-2006, 02:08 PM
Really!! I wonder if there is a World Championship of that...

Bulldog_12
01-26-2006, 02:21 PM
Golf is a sport. Its just the same as baseball minus the running, but add in walking 18 holes. That can be quite tiring after swinging clubs the entire time. Golf is boring, but boring isn't what determines wether or not it is a true sport.
NASCAR is NOT a sport at all. ANY 16 year old with a drivers liscense could do NASCAR.

Chief Ohera
01-26-2006, 03:21 PM
racecars is not a sport you dont have to be an athlete to push a pedal down, come on now, golf is a joke just look at some of the body types on the tour they are shame,
until next time.............

HPLJ6L
01-26-2006, 03:53 PM
There is competition, skill and money involved, and if they put that Poker crap on TV then Golf and Nascar should be on TV. I can't drive a car around a track at upwards of 150mph, I can barely push the ol' mule up to a hundred and never in traffic or in a curve. These guys have skill, its boring as heck to watch but look at us, check the recent posts, we have to do something until next football season.

Macarthur
01-26-2006, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by Bulldog_12
Golf is a sport. Its just the same as baseball minus the running, but add in walking 18 holes. That can be quite tiring after swinging clubs the entire time. Golf is boring, but boring isn't what determines wether or not it is a true sport.
NASCAR is NOT a sport at all. ANY 16 year old with a drivers liscense could do NASCAR.

You must not have played baseball. Baseball requires infinately more athletic ability than golf. The first, and most obvious, is that the golf ball is stationary, while a basball is coming at you at a minimum of 90mph and moving all kinds of directions.

In fact, I have heard this said, and fully agree, that hitting a baseball in the major leagues is the most difficult thing to do in all of sports.

Bulldog_12
01-26-2006, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur
You must not have played baseball. Baseball requires infinately more athletic ability than golf. The first, and most obvious, is that the golf ball is stationary, while a basball is coming at you at a minimum of 90mph and moving all kinds of directions.

What i was getting at was the amount of concentration and hand eye coordination that goes into baseball is the same in golf. I understand the ball is coming at you in baseball, but the amount of concentration is still the same.

formermbcouns
01-26-2006, 06:51 PM
I think bowling should be considered a sport as much as any other.

formermbcouns
01-26-2006, 06:52 PM
Why the heck is POKER being shown so much on ESPN? There's no way that poker should be considered a sport, lol.

sinfan75
01-26-2006, 07:52 PM
Anybody with a driver licence can do NASCAR? Plant your butt in one of them cars, drive in a 500 mile race goin 150-180 mph for 3-4 hrs. with temps in the car around 150 degrees, with about 43 other cars on that track. it takes a little more than puttin your foot on the pedal. those guys are in great physical shape. And yes I'm NASCAR fan as well as a bull riding fan.

RMAC
01-26-2006, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by sinfan75
Anybody with a driver licence can do NASCAR? Plant your butt in one of them cars, drive in a 500 mile race goin 150-180 mph for 3-4 hrs. with temps in the car around 150 degrees, with about 43 other cars on that track. it takes a little more than puttin your foot on the pedal. those guys are in great physical shape. And yes I'm NASCAR fan as well as a bull riding fan.

AND THE TRUTH. . . SHALL SET YOU FREE!!! It's not the easiest thing in the world to drive in NASCAR. I'm not even a huge racing fan, but those guys are in shape, I promise you that much. I'd like to see some of you guys run 20 laps with them without passing out. They had to shorten the race length at TMS from 600 miles to 400 miles b/c too many of the guys were getting sick from the practice runs. Look at it this way: If you've ever ridden The Titan at Six Flags, think of that first drop, then double it, THEN, do it another 300 times. Think about it. Look at the numbers I put up earlier.

BreckTxLonghorn
01-26-2006, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur

By definition (my definition, I guess), a sport has to have some type of direct competition, some sort of clock (innings count), as melee said, your score has to be determined by some objective standard, not a judge, and finally, I think a sport must involve some type/combination of running, jumping, throwing/shooting, etc.

Golf is a sport. Using the above definition, here is why.

Direct Competition-- In this aspect, it is much like track, say the 400m. During that, there is a few people running with you, but many times you are running against the clock, doing your very best, so that you're time will compare to others who are running in different heats of the race.

Golf is the same. You play with 1 to 3 other people(depending on the type of tournament). Obviously, your goal is to have the least amount of strokes than the others. But, you also want to do better than just that, because there are other golfers on the course playing that could be doing better than you. Much like a track final, golf's final round usually pairs up the highest ranking two players, in order to increase competition.

Clock/Measurement--18 holes. Baseball has 9 innings. There is no determinant on how long those innings last other than3 outs. If the batting team has a good inning, it could last a while. A hole in golf has a ten stroke limit. It could go shorter though, depending on how the golfer plays.

Objective Score--I think there's no argument about stroke play here, but don't forget skins, which is direct competition also using strokes as a determinant.

The Athleticism Factor-- Golf is not simply hitting the ball as hard as you can. It's a combination of strategy and body control. A quarterback in football doesn't throw the ball as hard as he can every time. Many times he has determine the timing to throw it, and whether to lob it, shuttle it, or just slow the speed on it so it will lead the crossing receiver just enough. Then, after determining his strategy, he has to actually control his arm to do so. It's all BODY CONTROL. Golf has the same principles, only it uses a club, making it more complex. Perhaps a better comparison would be baseball, as the hitter (say, in a small ball system) must look over the outfield and determine where to place his hit. Then he has to time his swing perfectly to land it there. Sometimes he has to swing early and not as hard so that the corresponding outfielder can't catch it.

Another way to look at it is to see Tiger Woods. He is starting to revolutionize the game because he realized how much better he can drive the ball if his core (torso) is in better shape. The guy is an intense weigh lifter and can bench close to 300 lbs, and now courses are lengthening so to slow down Tiger and his amazing torque.

I'm not a huge golf fan, I've never even played a full round, but sometimes you have to analyze and give credit where it's due.

Golf is a sport.

BreckTxLonghorn
01-26-2006, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by RMAC
I don't watch Nascar that much, but I will say that it is a sport. Just look at what I have first. Let's run the numbers:

230 mph is 337 feet per second (f/s).
(337 f/s)2 / 750 feet = approximately 151 f/s2.
The acceleration due to gravity (1 G) is 32 f/s2.
151 / 32 = 4.74 Gs experienced by the drivers.

Drivers take an enormous amount of punishment on a track like this. This level of acceleration is higher than most people ever experience. Even the space shuttle only develops 3 Gs when it takes off. What's even more amazing is how long these drivers tolerate this kind of force. The Texas Motor Speedway is 1.5 miles (2.4 km) long: The front stretch is 2,250 feet (686 m) long, and the back stretch is 1,330 feet (405 m) long. At 230 mph (337 f/s), the drivers take about 6.5 seconds to go down the front stretch, and then they are slammed by almost 5 Gs of force for the next 6.5 seconds as they go around the turn. It only takes about 4 seconds to make it down the back stretch before the next turn and another 6.5 seconds of almost 5 Gs. If the planned 600-mile (966 km) race had taken place, the drivers would have gone back and forth between 5 and nearly zero Gs a total of 800 times.

Just my 2. . . well actually about 10 cents on the issue. Can I get some facts from anybody else against these?

Extremely great point RMAC. Just one thing to add. NASCAR drivers lose 10 lbs of water weight in a given race. I'd like to see any "overweight guy" or "16 year old with a drivers license" do a full race. Yes, they can get in a car and go fast, but its much much more than that.

I love to watch NASCAR, but I don't put it on the level as I do other sports. Still, NASCAR drivers do things I couldn't do, and I'd put odds are most on here couldn't either without training.

NASCAR is a sport.

BreckTxLonghorn
01-26-2006, 09:07 PM
Last post I promise.

Ohera, show your stuff on track. Take me on...please.

GreenGobbla
01-27-2006, 01:25 AM
golf isnt a sport....ur a moron....i mean, ya anyone can play, but not everyone can play GOOD....do you ever watch on t.v. and see how fit the top golfers are in the world....tiger woods is not only fit and in shape, he can bench over 350 pounds....thats not fit and in shape or anything....

BreckTxLonghorn
01-27-2006, 01:32 AM
Kind of confused on your point here, are you saying it is or isnt?

SnyTigBaseB07
01-27-2006, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
Kind of confused on your point here, are you saying it is or isnt?

Ya i couldnt figure that out til just a second ago...but its sarcasm, it can be taken either way, but the "ur a moron" kinda shows that he wasnt being serious.

BreckTxLonghorn
01-27-2006, 01:39 AM
haha, ok, I could tell there was sarcasm in there somewhere, I just didn't know which way...