PDA

View Full Version : Pa. student humiliated over Broncos jersey

sicem74
01-23-2006, 10:33 PM
BEAVER FALLS, Pa. (AP) - A 17-year-old high school student said he was humiliated when a teacher made him sit on the floor during a midterm exam in his ethnicity class - for wearing a Denver Broncos jersey.

The teacher, John Kelly, forced Joshua Vannoy to sit on the floor and take the test Friday - two days before the Pittsburgh Steelers beat the Broncos 34-17 in the AFC championship game. Kelly also made other students throw crumpled up paper at Vannoy, whom he called a "stinking Denver fan," Vannoy told The Associated Press on Monday.

Kelly said Vannoy, a junior at Beaver Area Senior High School, just didn't get the joke.

"If he felt uncomfortable, then that's a lesson; that's what (the class) is designed to do," Kelly told The Denver Post. "It was silly fun. I can't believe he was upset."

Vannoy was wearing a No. 7 Broncos jersey on Friday, because he is a fan of John Elway, the Broncos' retired Hall of Fame quarterback.

Vannoy said he was so unnerved he left at least 20 questions blank on the 60-question test, and just wants out of Kelly's class because he's afraid the teacher won't treat him fairly now that the story reached the media.

"I'm going to have to deal with him for two more nine weeks (school quarters) and he's going to want revenge somehow," Vannoy said Monday. "I took the test. I'm shaking. I'm furious. I didn't know what to do."

Kelly, who wore a Ben Roethlisberger jersey Friday, and his principal, Thomas Karczewski, didn't immediately return messages left on their school voice mail Monday.

Big Beaver Falls Area School District Superintendent Donna Nugent said she was aware of the situation, but said confidentiality rules prevent her from commenting specifically.

"We'll take whatever action we need to in order for the student to feel comfortable," Nugent said.

NateDawg39
01-23-2006, 10:37 PM
How stupid is that teacher? I mean, if he was to go to class and be ridiculed the same way, im sure he would be a bit pissed off and scared. Kids are easy to be upset with things these days but what happened there is far beyond a small joke.

wos fan1
01-23-2006, 10:39 PM
Sounds like that teacher needs an !@# whipping!!

STANG RED
01-23-2006, 10:41 PM
Any body else get the feeling this was just a harmless little prank that the kid got his panties all in a wad about? He seems a little whinney to me. I just cant see a teacher intentionally trying to humiliate one of his students.
I think their may be a little more to this story than we know.

GreenMonster
01-23-2006, 10:44 PM
Wow. You guys are ready for blood. Sounds like a pretty bad joke to me though. Dude should be allowed to finish the year and then his contract non-renewed. Kid should be allowed to change classes.

neck_06
01-24-2006, 08:33 AM
the kid shouldn't have been wearing a denver jersey............JK!!!;)

what a jerk!

spiveyrat
01-24-2006, 08:42 AM
Shocking story. I'm surprised the teacher was allowed to wear a jersey at the school. :thinking:

LH Panther Mom
01-24-2006, 08:46 AM
What the heck is an "ethnicity" class and why is it designed to make students feel uncomfortable? :confused:

(I think I had this teacher for Algebra I.)

Phil C
01-24-2006, 09:32 AM
Much ado about nothing! But the teacher should be repremanded and in front of the class the student should (before the game would have been better in all fairness) be allowed to have the teacher sit down in front of the class and let the student pour Orange Crush over him and if Orange Chrush isn't available any Orange Drink would do. :)

hata_hurta06
01-24-2006, 09:41 AM
I think itz funny... The kid seem to take it the wrong way!

Phil C
01-24-2006, 09:43 AM
I know in South Texas we are mainly Spurs fans but we don't get bent out of shape just because we had a few Detroit Piston fans around. However I may have done something like the teacher because when I put some gasoline in my truck at Portland, TX at the Shell station another vehicle game by with a big Piston bumper sticker (and the car had Texas license plates). This was right after the Spurs beat them for the NBA championship. As I drove off I slyly put my Spurs auto flag on my window. I looked in my rear window and he had seen me and was gracious in defeat as he did the We're No. 1 Sign. LOL

Phil C
01-24-2006, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by hata_hurta06
I think itz funny... The kid seem to take it the wrong way!

Yes hata but turnabout is fair play. Get out that orange crush! :)

AggieJohn
01-24-2006, 09:54 AM
sounds to me like the kid is just whinning......

"i'm so unnerved, i know he's going to want revenge......what an arse of a kid"

olddawggreen
01-24-2006, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
What the heck is an "ethnicity" class and why is it designed to make students feel uncomfortable? :confused:

(I think I had this teacher for Algebra I.)

As they explained it on the news this morning, the ethnicity class was designed as a kind of "walk in my shoes" type class, to teach kids what its like to be treated differently because of their race, appearance, social standing, ect...... sounds to me like the kid and his parents are probably basking in the glow of the national media.
I guess if I was a reporter I would be asking for other examples that the teacher had used with other students in the class, to try and decide if this kid had really been singled out for "special treatment", or if this was just something that everyone in the class has to experience one way or another. Of coarse if I was a reporter, I might not want to dig that deep and ruin my story.:foul:

JHS_c/o_06'
01-24-2006, 11:03 PM
is it bad if i found this funny?

olddawggreen
01-25-2006, 01:34 AM
Nope

SnyTigBaseB07
01-25-2006, 02:12 AM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
sounds to me like the kid is just whinning......

"i'm so unnerved, i know he's going to want revenge......what an arse of a kid"

I'd be scared too...not of the teacher of getting the crap kicked outta by the bigger kids for the cryin!