PDA

View Full Version : CFN's 2006 BU analysis

3afan
01-23-2006, 05:00 PM
69. Baylor 2005 Record: 5-6

Why to get excited: The offense returns virtually intact. Shawn Bell is now an experienced quarterback the team can rely on, while Paul Mosley and Brandon Whitaker provide a solid 1-2 rushing punch. For the first time in the Guy Morriss era, opposing teams will have to actually worry about the Bear attack.
Why to be grouchy: The team’s two top defensive playmakers, safeties Maurice Lane and Willie Andrews, are gone. These two were the heart-and-soul of the solid defense that finished with one of its best seasons in years. Four of the final six games are on the road, so if the Bears don’t start out how, it could be a disappointing season.
The number one thing to work on is: Using all of that offensive experience to get more production. It’s not easy playing in the Big 12, but Baylor has to start putting more points on the board after averaging 21.45 per game and being held to 16 or fewer in five games.
Biggest offensive loss: OG Lequalan McDonald
Biggest defensive loss: Safeties Maurice Lane and Willie Andrews

Phil C
01-23-2006, 05:39 PM
Any team with Bill Bradley coaching on defense is very dangerous plus they got that Canton coach coming and his son may come there in 2007. We will see.

sahen
01-23-2006, 06:55 PM
we will finish higher than 69....every year morriss has been here we have finished higher than CFN's rankings....i think last year they said we would be 82 and the year before that 90 something....my guess is we will finish in the 40's next year and go bowling...hopefully we keep Morriss cause he could eventually get the team into a player in the Big 12....

Chris Hart
01-23-2006, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by sahen
hopefully we keep Morriss cause he could eventually get the team into a player in the Big 12.... I agree Morriss is a great coach. But, what usually happens is, a school like Baylor discovers him, and then he gets hired away by a national power and makes a name for himself there instead. Kind of like Urban Meyer that was Utah's coach, as soon as he leads them to an awesome season, here comes Florida to hire him away. He will eventually have Florida a contender year in and year out again the way it was when Spurrier was there. I'm afraid the same thing is going to happen to Texas Tech's Mike Leach in the near future. :mad:

District303aPastPlayer
01-23-2006, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by Chris Hart
I agree Morriss is a great coach. But, what usually happens is, a school like Baylor discovers him, and then he gets hired away by a national power and makes a name for himself there instead. Kind of like Urban Meyer that was Utah's coach, as soon as he leads them to an awesome season, here comes Florida to hire him away. He will eventually have Florida a contender year in and year out again the way it was when Spurrier was there. I'm afraid the same thing is going to happen to Texas Tech's Mike Leach in the near future. :mad:

doesnt leach need a better defense first?

Chris Hart
01-23-2006, 07:18 PM
Tech's defense has improved each year he has been there. They have a little ways to go, but holding Oklahoma to 20 pts in a 21-20 win, and then holding Alabama to 13 in a 13-10 cotton bowl loss, I'd say they're on the right track....

sahen
01-23-2006, 07:43 PM
I agree Morriss is a great coach. But, what usually happens is, a school like Baylor discovers him, and then he gets hired away by a national power and makes a name for himself there instead. Kind of like Urban Meyer that was Utah's coach, as soon as he leads them to an awesome season, here comes Florida to hire him away. He will eventually have Florida a contender year in and year out again the way it was when Spurrier was there. I'm afraid the same thing is going to happen to Texas Tech's Mike Leach in the near future. :mad:
The difference in Baylor/Tech and Utah is that Baylor and Tech both play in the Big 12 so both Morriss/Leach can make a name for themselves at their schools while Meyer couldnt do much more than he did at Utah 2 years ago....Morriss and Leach could theoretically win a National Title at Baylor and Tech but Meyer winning at Utah would require a perfect season along w/ other powers probably loosing 2 games....Basically I'm saying you can make a name for urself at Baylor and Tech cause they are in the Big 12 unlike Utah in the Moutain West....also, schools like Baylor and Tech have the resources to pay their coaches a competitive salary with the big boys since they are in a major conference while Utah would struggle to meet the salary that the big boys ask...

AggieJohn
01-23-2006, 08:34 PM
i think morriss is one step away from fisher deberry.....

and is going to embarass baylor soon...

sahen
01-23-2006, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
i think morriss is one step away from fisher deberry.....

and is going to embarass baylor soon...
how is he going to embarass us? i dont think he is going to make a comment about how black kids run faster than white kids and if he hangs a banner in the baylor locker room that says "go to church" i dont think that will embarass a christian school who openly endorses going to church....

BU97
01-24-2006, 11:18 AM
He could be referring to the feud between GuyMo and Fran, I don't find that embarrasing. Last BU coach that I was embarassed of was Dave Roberts.

Adidas410s
01-24-2006, 11:28 AM
I'm afraid the same thing is going to happen to Texas Tech's Mike Leach in the near future. :mad:

Don't worry...not too many schools want to bring in Leach as their HC. As on OC...maybe...but not a HC. He is a "unique" personality that can only be tolerated in certain schools.

DaHop72
01-24-2006, 11:45 AM
Until Tech develops a real running game to compliment their passing attack, they are going to stay pretty much where they are in the Big 12. Their defense is getting better each year, but a lot of the kids who have played and developed the defense are going to be graduating.

3afan
01-24-2006, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
doesnt leach need a better defense first?

also from CFN talking about Tech ... "but the defense was also solid finishing 30th in the nation an 18th in the nation in scoring D. Outside of a few big losses in the secondary, the defense should fantastic again."