PDA

View Full Version : CFN's 2006 aTm analysis ...

3afan
01-23-2006, 04:57 PM
47. Texas A&M 2005 Record: 5-6

Why to get excited: If A&M is looking to get off to a hot start, this is the schedule to do it playing The Citadel, UL Lafayette, Army, and Louisiana Tech, all at home (fine, so the Army game is in San Antonio) before facing Texas Tech. Hopefully, the coaching staff will realize this year it has a fantastic pair of running backs to use in Courtney Lewis and Jorvorskie Lane.
Why to be grouchy: Yeah, the offense became way too reliant upon Reggie McNeal, but he was still a fantastic talent good enough to win a game by himself. After some other team in the state won the national title, the heat is on more than ever in the Dennis Franchione era. Will he start to coach to save his job, or will have any desire to try to develop some of the young players for the future? Part of the problem with having an easy early schedule is that it gets tougher down the stretch. The Aggies play three road games in four weeks in October, and close out at Texas.
The number one thing to work on is: Pass defense, pass defense, pass defense. It’ll be year four of Franchione’s reign, and there’s no excuse for having the nation’s worst pass defense. The Aggies gave up 305 yards per game even through they didn’t play any killer passing teams outside of Texas Tech.
Biggest offensive loss: QB Reggie McNeal
Biggest defensive loss: DT Johnny Jolly

Phil C
01-23-2006, 05:38 PM
What about their QB McGee who is surely going to be a good one. What will hurt them in the BCS rankings is their soft schedule in the long run even if they have a great winning record.

Chris Hart
01-23-2006, 07:06 PM
The four 'tuneup' games against Citadel, Lafayette, Army and Louisiana Tech are just what the Dr. ordered when you are breaking in a talented young QB. I expect McGee to gain some much needed experience and more importantly confidence before the big boys start rolling around. After his great performance this past season against the National Champions, he should be more than able to guide them through the first four games unblemished, even making some mistakes that he is sure to make. The plus for the Aggies is this, they have a natural born leader about to take the reigns, two talented RBs and a defense that has to be improved(they can't get any worse). I expect the Aggies to make some great strides this year, but won't challenge the big boys consistently for another year or two(if they keep Franchione). If they let Franchione go after this coming season, you can expect another several year setback in Aggie land. I'm not an Aggie fan, but I will be this fall when McGee takes over. I wish them the best!:)

sahen
01-23-2006, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by Chris Hart
The four 'tuneup' games against Citadel, Lafayette, Army and Louisiana Tech are just what the Dr. ordered when you are breaking in a talented young QB. I expect McGee to gain some much needed experience and more importantly confidence before the big boys start rolling around. After his great performance this past season against the National Champions, he should be more than able to guide them through the first four games unblemished, even making some mistakes that he is sure to make. The plus for the Aggies is this, they have a natural born leader about to take the reigns, two talented RBs and a defense that has to be improved(they can't get any worse). I expect the Aggies to make some great strides this year, but won't challenge the big boys consistently for another year or two(if they keep Franchione). If they let Franchione go after this coming season, you can expect another several year setback in Aggie land. I'm not an Aggie fan, but I will be this fall when McGee takes over. I wish them the best!:)

McGee better learn to get down or he is gonna end up injured once they start playing the big boys, that would really compound problems in Aggieland.....

Chief Ohera
01-23-2006, 08:04 PM
has long as they beat UT i can give a darn about how good or how bad they are, who cares.
boomer sooner
until next time.

AggieJohn
01-23-2006, 08:23 PM
it's a decent outlook

Gobbla2001
01-23-2006, 08:30 PM
The defense will be very good, and McGee is a stud, prolly a better fit at A&M than Reggie (not saying either is the better QB)... Fran will do what Mack did, will make sure the offense is called around the young QB, McGee will shine and the rest of the offense along with the defense will be much improved...

#1, don't count out the Longhorns, them boys are bringing a lot to the table, #2, don't get too excited about the Sooners, because #3 the Aggies will be a factor in the South... bank on it...

Hook 'em...

AggieJohn
01-23-2006, 08:33 PM
found out that a&m got a four star rb today.....

KTJ
01-24-2006, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by Chief Ohera
has long as they beat UT i can give a darn about how good or how bad they are, who cares.
boomer sooner
until next time.

What's funny is that most (not all) Aggies actually agree with this statement.

KTJ
01-24-2006, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
The defense will be very good, and McGee is a stud, prolly a better fit at A&M than Reggie (not saying either is the better QB)... Fran will do what Mack did, will make sure the offense is called around the young QB, McGee will shine and the rest of the offense along with the defense will be much improved...

#1, don't count out the Longhorns, them boys are bringing a lot to the table, #2, don't get too excited about the Sooners, because #3 the Aggies will be a factor in the South... bank on it...

Hook 'em...

I've heard the "A&M will be a force/factor/team to reckon with in the South" for the last 5 years. I can't give them credit until they actually step up and do something noteworthy. Until then, it's a two team race between Texas and Oklahoma (again) with Tech close behind in 3rd.

The Darkhorse in the Big 12 (South and overall) is Baylor.

sahen
01-24-2006, 02:12 AM
Originally posted by KTJ

sweet we r KTJ's darkhorse....finally getting better, a lot better than being everyone's gimme game....

lostaussie
01-24-2006, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by KTJ
What's funny is that most (not all) Aggies actually agree with this statement. not me. i'm a big picture kind of guy.

AggieJohn
01-24-2006, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by KTJ
I've heard the "A&M will be a force/factor/team to reckon with in the South" for the last 5 years. I can't give them credit until they actually step up and do something noteworthy. Until then, it's a two team race between Texas and Oklahoma (again) with Tech close behind in 3rd.

behind what qb KTJ...your next qb is potentially still in high school....VY was 70% of your offense, to say that your going to come out and redo exactly what you did this season is stupid......be prepared to have more close games and even lose 4-5 this year.....

welcome to earth

TMer25
01-24-2006, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
behind what qb KTJ...your next qb is potentially still in high school....VY was 70% of your offense, to say that your going to come out and redo exactly what you did this season is stupid......be prepared to have more close games and even lose 4-5 this year.....

welcome to earth

While I dont see Texas completely replicating this past season, I dont see them losing 4-5 games. They have too much coming back defensively and at the offensive skill positions to think they would fall that far. I could definitely see 2 or 3 losses, but not 4 or 5.

AggieJohn
01-24-2006, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by TMer25
While I dont see Texas completely replicating this past season, I dont see them losing 4-5 games. They have too much coming back defensively and at the offensive skill positions to think they would fall that far. I could definitely see 2 or 3 losses, but not 4 or 5. your probably right, but i get hot headed sometimes when people doubt my ags, or even just talk trash about them

Bulldog_12
01-24-2006, 02:21 PM
Texas' defense will keep them in all of their games and give Ramonce Taylor and company a chance to win it. I dont see the offense averaging an ungodly 45+ a game, but I do see them as being just as much a contender as they have ever been. I have them losing 1 MAYBE 2 games this year. They are still number 1 in my book until someone proves me wrong and beats them. And also, A&M did pick up the number 4 running back in the nation and the # 32 athlete in the nation last night. I think his name is Goodson. Can't recall where he is from, all I know is that his choice was between A&M and USC. Im still in shock that we won that one.