PDA

View Full Version : Rangers courting Clemens

3afan
01-23-2006, 04:04 PM
Rangers begin pitch for Clemens

02:33 PM CST on Monday, January 23, 2006
By RICHARD DURRETT / The Dallas Morning News

The sales pitch for Roger Clemens has officially begun.

Rangers owner Tom Hicks said he drafted a letter on behalf of the club to Clemens' agent, Allan Hendricks, describing the reasons why Arlington would be a good professional home for the 43-year-old future Hall of Famer in 2006. Hicks said he planned to send the letter Monday.

Hicks wouldn't discuss specifics, but said the letter included some financial parameters. He said he also provided some information about how the Rangers see their team with Clemens and lifestyle issues in regards to Clemens' desire to spend as much time with his family as possible. Hicks said that might include allowing Clemens to travel some on his own, to ease any concerns he might have about time away from his family.

"I don't think this is going to be about money," said Hicks, who was at American Airlines Center for a news conference Monday about the 2007 NHL All-Star game to be held in Dallas. "I think Roger wants to be able to see his family. We're not far away and we would love for him to come here."

Hendricks said last week that Clemens wouldn't ponder returning until early February. And Hicks doesn't expect Clemens to make any decisions about where he might play until March. Hicks said the indications are that if Clemens decides to play, he'd like to meet at his home with prospective teams.

"Now all we can do is wait and see if they want to have a meeting," Hicks said. "I hope they do.

DaHop72
01-23-2006, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
Rangers begin pitch for Clemens

02:33 PM CST on Monday, January 23, 2006
By RICHARD DURRETT / The Dallas Morning News

The sales pitch for Roger Clemens has officially begun.

Rangers owner Tom Hicks said he drafted a letter on behalf of the club to Clemens' agent, Allan Hendricks, describing the reasons why Arlington would be a good professional home for the 43-year-old future Hall of Famer in 2006. Hicks said he planned to send the letter Monday.

Hicks wouldn't discuss specifics, but said the letter included some financial parameters. He said he also provided some information about how the Rangers see their team with Clemens and lifestyle issues in regards to Clemens' desire to spend as much time with his family as possible. Hicks said that might include allowing Clemens to travel some on his own, to ease any concerns he might have about time away from his family.

"I don't think this is going to be about money," said Hicks, who was at American Airlines Center for a news conference Monday about the 2007 NHL All-Star game to be held in Dallas. "I think Roger wants to be able to see his family. We're not far away and we would love for him to come here."

Hendricks said last week that Clemens wouldn't ponder returning until early February. And Hicks doesn't expect Clemens to make any decisions about where he might play until March. Hicks said the indications are that if Clemens decides to play, he'd like to meet at his home with prospective teams.

"Now all we can do is wait and see if they want to have a meeting," Hicks said. "I hope they do.
I think this would be good for the Rangers. I think Clemens might be able to instill a little competitive fire in the younger players that they are lacking.

BullFrog Dad
01-23-2006, 04:36 PM
This reminds me of the signing of Nolan Ryan. I think it could work out just as well also.

DaHop72
01-23-2006, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by BullFrog Dad
This reminds me of the signing of Nolan Ryan. I think it could work out just as well also.
My thoughts exactly Bullfrog Dad.

raider4life
01-23-2006, 04:45 PM
If he decides to come back for another year, I really doubt that Houston will mess up again and lose the best thing they've ever had. 2 years ago they messed up and lost Kent and Beltran(which sucked last year) and it nearly ended their chances of even making the playoffs until the rest of the team picked up the slack early last summer. Roger took them to the World Series and I think they could take the Division this year if they play their cards right in the off season. Bottom line is: They wont pass up another great oppritunity again, and Roger will stay in Houston if he returns for another season.

Bull's-eye
01-23-2006, 04:58 PM
Houston has already messed up a little, they can't sign Clemens until May.

mrescape43
01-23-2006, 05:02 PM
I agree with above. It is just like the Nolan Ryan signing. The rangers will not fork out cash to pay these top pitchers during their prime. They try to bring them in at the twilight of their career to win a few games and sell a lot of tickets. It would be great if one time they would put together a really good pitching staff.

raider4life
01-23-2006, 05:27 PM
Just because they can't sign him doesn't mean they stop giving him an offer everytime someone tries to sign him either.