PDA

View Full Version : Discipline in High School

Buccaneer
12-25-2003, 01:00 AM
Let me know your opinion on this situation. Recently I received a call from the ass't principal. My son was in trouble for looking at a girl in a bikini on the internet. His files had been reviewed by the technology coordinator and this was deemed as an unsuitable site. He denied ever doing it and claimed he did not even know his password. He admitted he had shared his password at the beginning of school with others in a class when they were doing homework under the supervision of their teacher. My son is a sophmore varsity football player, an A-B student, active in FFA, and had not missed a day of school. Since he could not prove he had not visited this site he was assigned to OCS(off campus suspension) for THREE days. Thus he lost his exemption from semester exams(req'd AB average and not more than 2 absences). What got me was that no one has ever been punished for reading Sports Illustrated Swimsuit issue. Ass't principal told me no one has ever been turned in for that.
Does the punishment fit the crime ? I thought they should take away his computer priveleges. Or should I just be relieved he wasn't looking at pictures of little boys.

KTJ
12-25-2003, 01:06 AM
I'm surprised they didn't have blockers on the computers. It seems to me that your son isn't lying to you, but still not telling the full truth. (thanks lying and deception class this past semester!) Anywho, it also seems like there wasn't much of a fight to stop him from getting suspended, which tells me he was involved somehow. The rules are rules--in a few weeks, everyone will have forgotten all about this.

Does the punishment fit the crime? Yes.

Good luck to your son in the future though...

kaorder1999
12-25-2003, 01:23 AM
First of all...though I think he shouldn't be on uneducational sites during school ...i find the school to blame partially....

the school I am associated with has many many sites blocked. If a student stumbles upon a site that should be blocked the school them blocks it.

should he have been suspended...heck no. THat is just totally rediculous. Now, if he was doing it in a distracting way and didnt just stumple upon it...then yeah he should have been punished but unless it was a naked woman on there...suspension is just stupid!

Wildcat81
12-25-2003, 03:15 AM
My wife teaches at Hardin and they have blocks
on thier computers.

Keith7
12-25-2003, 03:26 AM
KTJ:
I'm surprised they didn't have blockers on the computers. It seems to me that your son isn't lying to you, but still not telling the full truth. (thanks lying and deception class this past semester!) Anywho, it also seems like there wasn't much of a fight to stop him from getting suspended, which tells me he was involved somehow. The rules are rules--in a few weeks, everyone will have forgotten all about this.

Does the punishment fit the crime? Yes.

Good luck to your son in the future though...At Gainesville we have the stupid Bess program, and everytime u tryed to go to a decent website the stupid Gaurd dog come up... It woudlnt allow me to get on this website even.. but There were many times i would do nothing in Mr. Smith's French class but read Maxim mag. and he would say nothing but NON and put in a movie..

I agree a kid shouldnt be lookin at that at school, but obviously he must have a computer at home if his parent is on here complaining.. so why in the world would he be lookin at girls in swimsuits at school when he could go home and look at it, or look at in class that probobly got their cloths from the kids section of GAP

<small>[ December 25, 2003, 02:29 AM: Message edited by: Keith7 ]</small>

onfirebball05mustang
12-25-2003, 03:06 PM
Normally the school district should have a firewall against pop ups or material like that. The worst penalty I've seen for that kind of behavior is just short suspension from computer privledges, or even taking the computer away permanently. Has your son talked to the teacher under who's supervision he was under when he gave out his password, to see just what the deal is? Your son should also talk to those who may have gotten his password about the crime, that is soo wrong! He should (next semester) talk to the technology coordinator about changing his password. I know in our school district students can change their own password, but still have to okay it thru the admin.

Greenwood Teach
12-25-2003, 09:28 PM
If the site that he was "reviewing" was unsuitable then it should not have been available. That is the reason that most districts have blocks. I would make sure that the school changes your son's password.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
12-25-2003, 09:39 PM
Last year, our school issued out laptop computers with wireless high speed internet access throughout the school for a $100 insurance fee. They blocked websites, but didn't monitor what we did and really didn't mind what we did....suspension is just stupid because people downloaded and played video games as the Principal just sat there and watched. What do ya'll think is worse, downloading games or looking at a picture of a girl on a bikini?

Comeaux
12-25-2003, 09:58 PM
He denied ever doing it and claimed he did not even know his password. He admitted he had shared his password at the beginning of school with others in a class when they were doing homework under the supervision of their teacher. ????????????

He is lucky that he can even get on the internet. Our schools computers stay down most of the time. When it is upand running the blockers make it useless for research. They block everything out.

cubs
12-26-2003, 07:16 PM
If he shared his password - he knew it. You can't share what ya don't know. My advice - don't make a huge deal out of it - let it be a lesson, instead in the consequences of sharing private information and the consequences of such an action. The sun will rise tomorrow.