PDA

View Full Version : Flour Bluff seniors Andre McCorkle and Alex Darley will remain teammates after all.

AggieJohn
01-20-2006, 02:52 PM
McCorkle and Darley have both decided to sign a letter of intent Feb. 1 to play college football for Texas State next season.

McCorkle - the 2005 Caller-Times All-South Texas Player of the Year and the District 31-4A Most Valuable Player - chose Texas State over Tulsa and UTEP, where he also took recruiting visits.

"It was the place I was most comfortable with and the quickest place I could get playing time," said McCorkle, who was the area's leading rusher last season with 1,978 yard. "The players and coaches at Texas State are nice and there's just something about it (that stands out)."

Darley - a 2005 Caller-Times first-team All-South Texas wide receiver and the District 31-4A Offensive Player of the Year - will join McCorkle in San Marcos next season.

Darley said he also visited UTEP but opted for Texas State.

"It is closer to my home and closer to my family - my mom can come watch me play," said Darley, who had 52 receptions for 1,178 yards and 13 touchdowns as a senior. "I just really like the school and the campus. Plus, they said we have to work for it, but they're looking for us to come in and play right off the bat."

Darley and McCorkle also planned to visit Kansas State, but canceled their recruiting trip after making their decision to play for the Bobcats.

"We were going to visit, but we just had a change of heart," McCorkle said. "It was too far."

"I didn't want to go to Kansas State," Darley added. "I just didn't have a good feeling about it."

Both Darley and McCorkle are happy that the recruiting wars for their services are finally over.

"(College coaches have) been calling every day trying to persuade me to go to their school," Darley said. "Telling me why their school is better than another school and putting a lot of pressure on me."

"It was a nonstop headache," McCorkle said of the recruiting process.

Now the two players can finally relax and look forward to their move together after graduation.

"We were looking to go somewhere where we could both go to school," McCorkle said. "With Alex going there too - (making this decision is) even more of a load off of my shoulders."