PDA

View Full Version : Are There Any Bargains Left?

Bullaholic
01-20-2006, 12:51 PM
I just wonder if there any bargains left anymore. The other day at lunch, I paid $10.00 for a cheeseburger and fries before the tip. Seems like all the sit down" restaurants have got the "car dealer" syndrome. You can order that burger--want cheese?--add $.50; want fries- add $2.00; and want a drink- add $1.50,--- and so on. Looks like folks are never going to get out of any "sit down" restaurant anywhere for less than $10.00 per person anymore. Don't get me wrong--I'm not "tight"--I've paid upwards of $25.00 per person plus and pick up the whole check for everybody plenty of times but looks like the days of the $4.00 blue plate special are gone forever.

I was browsing EBay the other day and even that has gotten to be "laughable" when finding a bargain. The selling prices for almost anything are closing at about 99% of "new" prices.

In case you haven't noticed---utility bills have "skyrocketed" also, thanks to the high "fossil fuel" prices. Try to get an explanation for you utility bill charges sometime.

Don't even get me started on phone companies and their billing rates. There is nobody alive who can understand current phone bills. Most folks just "pay" every month. Hope you never have to try to call one of these companies for service---you're going to be a while, and chances are you will never get your problem solved or talk to anyone who can.

Ever try to book an airline flight for a reasonable fare lately?
The response is--"Oh you need to get there now....well that will cost $$$$$$$$ (pause while you arrange a bank loan).

Guess I better "pony up" and buy a time machine and go back to the "good ol' days" when life was simpler.

Ranger Mom
01-20-2006, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic

Don't even get me started on phone companies and their billing rates. There is nobody alive who can understand current phone bills. Most folks just "pay" every month. Hope you never have to try to call one of these companies for service---you're going to be a while, and chances are you will never get your problem solved or talk to anyone who can.

Or they won't be from "around these parts".......talking to somone from India, China, etc. can put me in bad mood faster than anything!!!!:mad:

shankbear
01-20-2006, 12:55 PM
And don't even think about going to a professional sporting event on the cheap. The tickets, the parking and the concessions. At leaset high school sports are a relative bargain still.

STANG RED
01-20-2006, 12:59 PM
I called Cingular the other day to find out why my cell phone bill was $63 higher than it should have been. I looked like my daughters calls were all double charged to me. The guy I talked to (finally, after at least a 30 minute wait) couldnt seem to make heads or tails out of it either. Although he tried his best, he never could offer up a good explanation for it, so he just offered to take the $63 off the bill if it would make me happy ("in the interest of good relations"). I said it would, so he did it. But between the waiting and the final outcome, it probably took most of an hour to get it accomplished.

LH Panther Mom
01-20-2006, 01:14 PM
All right, Bull. I know of a restaurant across from my office in Austin that has a great lunch special. $4.95 for a huge slice of pizza and a salad or cup of soup. I'm mad because it sounds sooooo good right now and this isn't my day to go into the office. :weeping: :weeping: :weeping:

raider red 2000
01-20-2006, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by shankbear
And don't even think about going to a professional sporting event on the cheap. The tickets, the parking and the concessions. At leaset high school sports are a relative bargain still.

my brother in law and sister went to cgo watch pro hockey in DC last night.

he is a marine that works at the pentagon...it was military appreciation night.....free tickets.....he said it cost over 100 bucks by the time they left.

parking food beer...all over priced.

44INAROW
01-20-2006, 03:47 PM
Husband and 3 buddies went to the Spurs game Weds night. Tickets $120
Beer $5
Hot dog (??)
Whataburger an hour later $5 -
Getting to see Eva Longoria CLOSE UP in a sweatshirt eating a hot dog - he said was Priceless :D

Bullaholic
01-20-2006, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
All right, Bull. I know of a restaurant across from my office in Austin that has a great lunch special. $4.95 for a huge slice of pizza and a salad or cup of soup. I'm mad because it sounds sooooo good right now and this isn't my day to go into the office. :weeping: :weeping: :weeping:

If it wouldn't cost me $30 in gas---I'd drive out there and take advantage of that, LHPMom....and what is this "isn't my day to go into the office stuff."? What do ya'll do---draw straws? :D

District303aPastPlayer
01-20-2006, 03:55 PM
i went to a CC Islander Basketball game the other night...
Tickets: Free
Parking: Free
Drink: $3.25
Food at the Islander Bar and Grill down the street: $7 bucks

not too shabby

DU_stud04
01-20-2006, 04:01 PM
i like free stuff......:)

LH Panther Mom
01-20-2006, 04:52 PM
If it wouldn't cost me $30 in gas---I'd drive out there and take advantage of that, LHPMom....and what is this "isn't my day to go into the office stuff."? What do ya'll do---draw straws? :D
Just $30 in gas? :eek: I telecommute (work from home) & go into the office one day a week to pick up and drop off.

Bullaholic
01-20-2006, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Just $30 in gas? :eek: I telecommute (work from home) & go into the office one day a week to pick up and drop off.

"telecommute"---Isn't that what they used to do in "Star Trek"?

44INAROW
01-20-2006, 04:57 PM
"telecommute"---Isn't that what they used to do in "Star Trek"?

Beam me up LHPM :D