PDA

View Full Version : Antonio Davis

Bullaholic
01-19-2006, 01:10 PM
Do you think Antonio Davis of the Knicks was wrong when he left the court to go into the stands when he thought his wife was being threatened by a heckler?

I don't think the guy should be fined---he didn't throw any punches and I think he genuinely felt his wife might have been potentially harmed by an opposing fan.

Now if this guy's wife had been Ranger Mom or LHPMom---the heckler would have been filing "assault" charges when he came to. :D

3afan
01-19-2006, 01:12 PM
yes he was wrong - but I also think they need to look at the circumstances, situation, what he did & didnt do, and let him off with a warning.

Adidas410s
01-19-2006, 01:17 PM
For those who say "well he should let security handle the situation."...consider this. You see something happen to your wife/family/etc. at your work. Are you just going to say "well I don't really know what's going on...so I'll just wait for security or the police to show up to handle the sitation." If you would SERIOUSLY do this...I feel sorry for your family. Just because this guy is a professional athlete does not make the situation any different than if it happened to some guy who is a manager at Wal-Mart while his wife is in there shopping. Take a second...put it into perspective...and then think what would you do in the same situation?

GreenMonster
01-19-2006, 01:27 PM
Fans are sent to jail for stepping onto the playing surface, so maybe players should be sent to jail for stepping into the stands. The smart thing to do would have been alert security. Not to say I would have done differently. He saw something and reacted. Bad situation all the way around. Fans are getting out of hand. How would that heckler feel if that was his wife and kid in the stands? Eliminate the sale of alcohol at these type of events and we would see fewer of these incidents. Pro sports leagues strive to make their product family friendly, it is time that they create a family friendly environment to go along with the product. I went to a Ranger game a couple of years ago and took my wife and baby along. Some drunken schmuck on his fifth or sixth beer spilled it on my infant. Between giggles he apologized but we decided to leave before I had time to toss the guy out of the upper deck.

neck_06
01-19-2006, 02:06 PM
the guy was trying to protect his wife, you have to remember that these guys are human too, they want to take care of their families just like the next guy. should he have gone into the stands, probably not, but he didn't punch the guy or even get physical with him. no harm no foul

Bearkat
01-19-2006, 02:08 PM
Another touchy situation. I think I would have reacted the same way he did. If my family was in danger, or I thought they were in danger, I wouldn't wait for security. These things can't keep happening. Before long the "normal" fan will be punished. Maybe they can ban this particular guy from the arena.

I seem to remember a football fan running on the field this year and taking the ball away from Brett Favre. Not the same situation but they banned him for 5 years.

Old Tiger
01-19-2006, 02:34 PM
"I witnessed my wife being threatened by a man that I learned later to be intoxicated," Davis said in a statement issued after the game. "I saw him touch her, and I know I should not have acted the way I did, but I would have felt terrible if I didn't react. There was no time to call security. It happened too quickly." A quote from Davs.

Full ESPN Story (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=sheridan_chris&id=2298108)

kaorder1999
01-19-2006, 02:38 PM
he needs to be punished though I dnt disagree with what he did. He just needs to now get her front row seats with a bodyguard and nothing will ever happen again! Or even better, get her up in a suite!

Snyder_TigerFan
01-19-2006, 02:41 PM
I don't blame the guy. If someone was threatening my wife or family, there would be a confrontation, no matter where we're at or what we're doing. I might have just gained a little respect for the guy for standing up and doing something. Would someone actually think that he should sit there and watch while it happens? Or wait for someone else to do something about it?

Snyder_TigerFan
01-19-2006, 04:34 PM
Big surprise...the guy is threatening a lawsuit now.

ESPN Story (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2298240)

Old Tiger
01-19-2006, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Snyder_TigerFan
Big surprise...the guy is threatening a lawsuit now.

ESPN Story (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2298240) Somebody wants some $$$ stupid mofo

As for the subject, the SHOULD suspend him BUT with pay.

Pmoney
01-19-2006, 07:46 PM
he shouldn't have been suspended...you cant tell me if someone in your family was being harassed, you wouldn't do the same thing and something else HE DIDNT DO ANYTHING when he got up there he just went up there to protect his wife...and another Stern is an idiot for suspending him bc if it was his wife he would have dont the same thing!

AggieJohn
01-19-2006, 07:56 PM
i think that he should of been suspeneded, but maybe for just one game

football4life
01-19-2006, 08:40 PM
I really don't think that 5 games is that bad, considering what happened to the guys last year in the big brawl. Grant it, this was a completely different situation and i understand why he went up there, but rules are rules.

Old Tiger
01-19-2006, 09:05 PM
Those 5 games ='s over a mil

LH Panther Mom
01-19-2006, 09:08 PM
Too bad the football's player's mom wasn't with her. ;)

Bull's-eye
01-20-2006, 02:17 PM
I saw were the the man said that Davis's wife was starting all the problems. He said that she had scratched another fan. He also stated that he doesn't drink alcohol at the basketball games and only had a glass of wine earlier with his dinner. Is it possible that Davis's wife started the trouble? Did she not like what the fans were saying about Antonio or the team? Maybe Antonio (knowing his wife) went to protect the man? :thinking: Charles Barkley said that all the familys should sit together and not be next to the fans.

44INAROW
01-20-2006, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Too bad the football's player's mom wasn't with her. ;)

That's what they need to do.. get the mom's to sit by and protect the wives :)

HPLJ6L
01-20-2006, 02:24 PM
I feel really sorry for any fan that confronts my wife. Heck I am scared of the woman and she loves me, I hate to think of what she could be capable of.

WOSgrad
01-20-2006, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye
I saw were the the man said that Davis's wife was starting all the problems. He said that she had scratched another fan. He also stated that he doesn't drink alcohol at the basketball games and only had a glass of wine earlier with his dinner. Is it possible that Davis's wife started the trouble? Did she not like what the fans were saying about Antonio or the team? Maybe Antonio (knowing his wife) went to protect the man? :thinking: Charles Barkley said that all the familys should sit together and not be next to the fans.

Interestingly enough, Collin Cowheard of ESPN Radio claimed on his show today that there is video that corroborates the story told by the guy. I haven't seen it yet, though.

Snyder_TigerFan
01-20-2006, 02:45 PM
ESPN had a video clip from witnesses. They said that she was cheering and jumping up and down, and the fan told her that she needed to sit down and shut up (with some expletives). That's when she turned around and started telling him stuff. They were probably both in the wrong.

Regardless, I can't blame Antonio Davis for what he did if he felt his wife was in trouble.

TheDOCTORdre
01-20-2006, 03:24 PM
I like what Larry Brown said about the situatuion, it was something to the effect of lets see how David Stern was to react if he was put into a similar situation

Bandera YaYa
01-21-2006, 12:58 AM
Any man that doesn't defend his wife or family, isn't a man in my opinion.....screw the rules! :tongue: :D(p.s. Ha! Stern would have never of been able to jump into the stands like that!! Guess his wife better hope she's never attacked ......FAT chance he'd be any help to her!)

LH Panther Mom
01-21-2006, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by Snyder_TigerFan
They said that she was cheering and jumping up and down, and the fan told her that she needed to sit down and shut up (with some expletives). That's when she turned around and started telling him stuff.
There's the problem right there. Why shouldn't she stand up and cheer, etc? What a maroon. :rolleyes:

venomous tat2
01-21-2006, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Bandera YaYa
Any man that doesn't defend his wife or family, isn't a man in my opinion.....screw the rules! :tongue: :D(p.s. Ha! Stern would have never of been able to jump into the stands like that!! Guess his wife better hope she's never attacked ......FAT chance he'd be any help to her!)

I'm with you Ya Ya had he done nothing she may have lost respect for him and that would have put a strain on their marriage. Basketball will last for so long but a marriage goes on longer. He ( Davis) did better than I would have done cause I would have slugged him.:clap: :clap: :clap:

Astrosdawg07
01-21-2006, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
yes he was wrong - but I also think they need to look at the circumstances, situation, what he did & didnt do, and let him off with a warning.

I agree.