PDA

View Full Version : Sports Rules and Terms

Bullaholic
01-18-2006, 11:21 PM
I've got a vague idea on the interpretation of the following rules in various sports, but does anybody want to offer up a more clear explanation of the following:

1. Infield Fly Rule In Baseball
"Balk" in baseball

2. "Icing" in hockey.

3. Illegal defense(offense?) in basketball.

4. "Tuck" rule in football.
"Catch and possession" in football.

Read some of the rules in "Cricket" one time----never again.

Maybe I'll try understanding Australian Rules football next.

Gobbla2001
01-18-2006, 11:25 PM
If I am not mistaken, icing is when a player shoots the puck from behind their own goal-line across the other goal line without it being touched by another player... not too sure though, that one always confused me...

Illegal defense/offense is like a 3-second violation isn't it? where a player does not move his feet for 3 seconds inside of the paint?

District303aPastPlayer
01-18-2006, 11:35 PM
1. Infield Fly Rule In Baseball - runners on 1st and 2nd or bases loaded with no or 1 out.. the batter is automatically out and the ball doesnt really have to be fielded... but if it is, the runners advance at their own risk...
"Balk" in baseball - making a forward movement to the plate without delivering the ball... batter is given a courtesy ball and runners advance a base

2. "Icing" in hockey.

3. Illegal defense(offense?) in basketball. - playing an illegal zone defense (i dont understand it but its as best as i can get an understanding of)

4. "Tuck" rule in football. (if the QB is pulling the ball down, and tucking it, he can be forced to fumble i believe)
"Catch and possession" in football. - after a catch has been made, a 'football move must be made to ensure possession' as appearant by the Steelers game over the weekend.

SnyTigBaseB07
01-18-2006, 11:47 PM
Balks go a little bit farther than too though

Any time you break any set rule for pitchers it usually falls under a Balk.

I.E. a pitcher touching his mouth while still on the mound, BALK

A pitcher making a false motion to any of the bases, BALK

the "andy pettite move" when you step to home yet throw to 3rd, BALK

there are more rules, but those are the big ones

raider4life
01-19-2006, 01:08 AM
if the pitcher drops the ball he cannot touch it or its a balk.

the pitcher cannot attempt a pick-off move to an unoccupied base, meaning if someones is stealing second you cant make a pickoff move to second if no one was originally on second.

the pitcher cant move his head while in the stretch to check a runner.

while in the stretch, the pictcher cannot attempt a pick-off move without stepping off the rubber.

the pitcher can only wave off a sign from the catcher with his head while in the stretch.

there's a few more but i can't think of them right now cuz im too tired :P

as for the basketball one, if the player is being guarded closely for more than 5 seconds, it's an illegal offense. on defense and offense, you cannot have both feet in the paint for more than 3 seconds. I think you get one warning, then everytime after that it is a technical foul on the team(maybe person that commits it)

bulldogbark
01-19-2006, 08:56 AM
icing- there are two blue lines on the hockey ice one on each side of the center line if a player shoots the puck from behind his blue line past the goal of the other team without any opposing player touching it thats iciing, however the opposing team may wave off icing or when there is a power play the short team can clear the puck all the way down without icing being called...i believe...

GATAPride77
01-19-2006, 10:24 AM
Tuck Rule=NFL rule not any part of TX HS or NCAA definitions.

Possession=

Abbreviation meaning holding or controliing a live ball or a ball to be free kicked.

Player gains possession when he is firmly holding or controling a ball while contacting the ground inbounds.

Team in possession when one of its players is "in possession" or attempting a punt, drop kick, or place kick; while a forward pass thrown by one of its players is in flight; or one of its players was last in possession during a loose ball.

Catch=

An act of establishing player possession of a live ball in flight.

(part of definition omited)... a player who leaves his feet to make a catch must have the ball in his possession when he first returns to the ground inbounds...

Bullaholic
01-19-2006, 10:28 AM
A couple more questions---

Aluminum bats can be used in any baseball classification except the majors?

What are the differences in the footballs used in high school, college, and the NFL?

Can a soccer goalie "catch" the ball anywhere on the field?

Manck
01-19-2006, 10:41 AM
Soccer....the goalkeeper can only handle the ball in the 18-yard penalty box. If it is deliberately handled by the keeper outside of that area, it's an automatic red card/ejection.

Bullaholic
01-19-2006, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by Manck
Soccer....the goalkeeper can only handle the ball in the 18-yard penalty box. If it is deliberately handled by the keeper outside of that area, it's an automatic red card/ejection.

I had an idea on the ball handling, but I did not know it was a red card for handling it outside of the box.

I really appreciate everybody's responses to these perhaps, "mundane", questions, but I am impressed with the knowledge that exists in almost any sport on the Dlow. Thanks again---and I hope more posters will pose "I always wanted to know about" questions in the various sports.

Manck
01-19-2006, 10:52 AM
The key word there is "intentionally". If it's unintentional, it's usually just a yellow card.

Hannibal
01-19-2006, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by raider4life

The pitcher CAN move his head while in the stretch. He can't move his SHOULDERS once he comes set.

mwynn05
01-19-2006, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by raider4life
if the pitcher drops the ball he cannot touch it or its a balk.

the pitcher cannot attempt a pick-off move to an unoccupied base, meaning if someones is stealing second you cant make a pickoff move to second if no one was originally on second.

while in the stretch, the pictcher cannot attempt a pick-off move without stepping off the rubber.

the pitcher can only wave off a sign from the catcher with his head while in the stretch.

there's a few more but i can't think of them right now cuz im too tired :P

as for the basketball one, if the player is being guarded closely for more than 5 seconds, it's an illegal offense. on defense and offense, you cannot have both feet in the paint for more than 3 seconds. I think you get one warning, then everytime after that it is a technical foul on the team(maybe person that commits it) The illegal defense is only in the NBA and when you're tlaking about the 5 seconds closely guarded rule there is a littlemore to it first if you catch the ball you have 5 seconds to dribble shoot or pass then once you begin your dribble you have 5 more seconds to shoot pass and pick up your dribble and once you pick up your dribble again you have 5 more seconds to shoot or pass

3afan
01-19-2006, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
1. Infield Fly Rule In Baseball - runners on 1st and 2nd or bases loaded with no or 1 out.. the batter is automatically out and the ball doesnt really have to be fielded... but if it is, the runners advance at their own risk...

the judgement part of this rule is whether or not the "fly" is a routine play by an infielder, which it has to be for the umpire to invoke the infield fly rule. just because a fly ball hits in (or near) the infield in fair territory does not automatically mean the umpire will call "infield fly" ...

Bullaholic
01-19-2006, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
the judgement part of this rule is whether or not the "fly" is a routine play by an infielder, which it has to be for the umpire to invoke the infield fly rule. just because a fly ball hits in (or near) the infield in fair territory does not automatically mean the umpire will call "infield fly" ...

As I understand it, 3A, the original intent of this rule was to prevent a player from deliberately allowing an infleld fly ball to hit the ground in order to pick it up and make a double or triple play?

3afan
01-19-2006, 12:44 PM
thats correct ..........

raider4life
01-19-2006, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by mwynn05
The illegal defense is only in the NBA and when you're tlaking about the 5 seconds closely guarded rule there is a littlemore to it first if you catch the ball you have 5 seconds to dribble shoot or pass then once you begin your dribble you have 5 more seconds to shoot pass and pick up your dribble and once you pick up your dribble again you have 5 more seconds to shoot or pass

I could have sworn they counted in HS and college as well. Or is that a totally different rule?

Chief Ohera
01-20-2006, 12:50 AM
who cares about baseball season, b/c it's during track season and that's the truest and best sport of them all, all you have to do is run hard and turn left.
until next time........

3afan
01-20-2006, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by Chief Ohera
who cares about baseball season, b/c it's during track season and that's the truest and best sport of them all, all you have to do is run hard and turn left.
until next time........

:rolleyes: