PDA

View Full Version : Neverwonaplayoffgame Article 1

PAINTBALL
09-28-2003, 10:37 PM
For those of you who participated in the debate "If you were the coach, what would you do?" this is the article I can see as possible under the fact senerio presented. Remember this is for fun and is not intended to make fun of anyone. I could not use every statement presented, but I hope I presented both sides od the issue fairly. I also hope everyone also found this debate and the resulting article a little educational. The second Article posted is an article which would probably been written if the coached has intentionally lost the game.

NEVERWONAPLAYOFFGAME’S JINX CONTINUES

This town’s Jinx of never winning a playoff game has continued again this year with our teams loss last Friday Night to the Number 1 team in the State . Although our kids played their heart’s out and kept the game close until the third quarter, our two way starters finally just gave out. Superpowerhouse, whose enrollment is over twice the size of ours, had the benefit of playing with only two starters who played both ways, and were able to put the game away in the fourth quarter. Our kids have nothing to be ashamed of.
Coach Commerce Fan stated: “If you have ever played this game you know that win or lose the only champion is the one who played the best he could play and had no regrets.” Coach eagle-fan stated: “Although we are one of the smallest schools in 3A, our fans should be proud of our kids. They are ready to play anyone and have confidence they are going to win.”
Both coaches were probably making reference to the controversy that has started since the loss. Local Attorney, Joe Ifitslegalitsok, local Mathmatician Playtheodds and local businessman Don’tpassthebuck are furious and have stated that the intend to circulate a petition to have the coaches fired. “At the start of last week it became clear to us that our only realistic chance to win State was to lose the game against biggest school so we could advance in Division 2 of the Playoffs.” Because of a strange twist of circumstance, by beating Biggest school last week Neverwonaplayoffgame eliminated the largest school in our district from the playoffs causing us to advance in division 1. All this year the entire town has assumed that we would advance in division 2 and since we were the highest ranked school in division 2 that we had a real good chance to win State.
When confounded with this concept the entire coaching staff were furious. Coach Commerce Fan stated :Take em as the come and leave em laying where they fall, but NEVER EVER GIVE UP . Your not much of a coach and you are not much of a promoter of your team (if you teach kids to lose) Coach seasick stated “That is ridiculous to even think about, how stupid.” Coach The Old One stated that it is rare that I come across an idea from people that I thought knew this game and think to myself stupidity, The concept is ridiculous. There is no question here, none.” Coach Old One continued that in his opinion any coach who goes for anything but the win should be fired. Coach Mid80’sTarpon stated the idea made no sense to him By winning that game last week that gave us one less game to play to win State.” Many local fans and parents including Preacher Blackandwhitenogrey and Phycoligist Thikofotherpeople totally agree with our coaches and support them.
When confronted by these statements Ifitslegalitsok, Playtheodds, and Don’tpassthebuck became even madder. They call us stupid said Playtheodds, They’re the ones who are stupid. Don’t they realize the odds of winning State dropped to almost nothing when we had to advance in Div 1, but we were the favorites all year by everyone to win Div. 2”. When I pointed out to them that I thought the coaches felt this was a moral issue, Ifitslegalitsok stated that there is nothing immoral or wrong about losing a game to better your kids chances to win State. “There is no rule being violated and it is just good smart coaching strategy.”
Coach Gobbla2001 disagreed, however, and stated: “Coaching is not only about winning, but about teaching lessons…I don’t think one of those lessons should be back down. “ Thinkofotherpeople expressed her concerns about the kid of Leftintheplayoffs: “What about Leftintheplayoffs. If we had intentionally lost that game against Biggestschool, we would have cost them their Playoffspot. I don’t think that would have been fair. Don’tpassthebuck responded that we didn’t hire our coaches to worry about other schools. If they had wanted to assure themselves a play in the playoffs, they needed to win enough games to where their fate was not in our coaches’ hands.” “Another thing” said said Playtheodds “what about our kids.” This was their senior year. It’s not so bad for the Sophmores and Juniors, but this was our kids’last chance. As far as I’m concerned, our coaches owe them a big apology. When they approached the coaches with their concern that advancing in division 1 would cost them their dream of a State title, the coaches treated them like cowards. Coach crunkandfocused even wanted to relieve our kids as captains and replace them with people who thought like them. You can’t even have a different opinion around some of these guys without being treated like dirt. There is a major difference between being a coward, and being realistic.”
Don’tpassthebuck stated “It’s sad that these kids and this community has to go through this controversy. All our coaches had to do to avoid all this was to play the subs in our game againt Biggestschool last week. Not only would we have lost, but it would have given our kids’ injuries time to heal and it would have helped next years’ team. I really think he was stupid in risking injury to our starters.”
When I interviewed Coach Zeke, coach of Leftintheplayoffs he stated that he had to admire the moral integrity of our coaching staff, but probably “the strategist in him would have prevailed in him and his second team would have probably gotten a lot of playing time in the game against Biggestschool.” Coach dog92 was even more blunt and stated that since the teams he would have had to play in Div 1 was more then twice the size of Neverwonaplayoffgame and should really be in another classification, he probably would have played his second string. Leftintheplayoffs barely beat Sorryteam this week and will advance and play Sosogood this week. Both teams are unranked.
Superintendent Standbyyourcoach stated “We have the finest coaching staff of any other school. They have the highest moral character and passing on these traits is more important then winning State.” He refused to say however that it would have been wrong to play the second string and lose to Biggest school. “These parents have the right to their opinion and I’m not going to get into an argument about what is right or wrong. The coaching staff thought it would be wrong and they have a right to their opinion.”
What I say is put this controversy behind us and THINK ABOUT NEXT YEAR. congradulations to our 2003 DISTRICT CHAMPS.

PAINTBALL
09-28-2003, 10:56 PM
To better understand this post you should first read the post "What would you do if you were the coach?" Fell free to express your opinions

<small>[ September 30, 2003, 07:43 PM: Message edited by: PAINTBALL ]</small>

PAINTBALL
09-30-2003, 07:45 PM
If anyone feels their true feelings were not expressed in this mock article, please feel free to state why. If anyone wishes to add some quotes that they feel will better support their position, please feel free to do so.

bellvillefan6699
09-30-2003, 07:49 PM
what newspaper is this for.

PAINTBALL
09-30-2003, 07:57 PM
bellvillefan6699:
what newspaper is this for.This is 1 of 2 mock articles I made up for fun to show that there really was two sides of the argument to the issue presented in "If your were the coach, what would you do." When I originally made this post, I was basically called stupid by a number of regulars. If they read this, they should start the discussion again. I don't like being called stupid and then ignored, so I hope they get back in this discussion and respond to why some of the logic is not reasonable and why there can't be two sides to the issue. This is basically a challenge to them, but feel free to jump in the discussion if you wish.

<small>[ September 30, 2003, 08:14 PM: Message edited by: PAINTBALL ]</small>