PDA

View Full Version : Smokeless Tobacco?

Bullaholic
01-18-2006, 09:35 PM
I wonder how many kids (Under 18) still use smokeless tobacco like Copenhagen? Is it's use allowed by any schools? How do coaches feel about it? How about smoking, period. Seems to me that it is all in decline in all age groups in society in general, and I think that is a good thing---especially for the kids.

lepfan
01-18-2006, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
I wonder how many kids (Under 18) still use smokeless tobacco like Copenhagen? Is it's use allowed by any schools? How do coaches feel about it? How about smoking, period. Seems to me that it is all in decline in all age groups in society in general, and I think that is a good thing---especially for the kids. I think it is the same punishment as cigarettes...or at least it was at LG when we were there. All those kids need to do is to have seen Sean Marsee in person and they would never touch the stuff!

http://whyquit.com/whyquit/SeanMarsee.html

Bullaholic
01-18-2006, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by lepfan
I think it is the same punishment as cigarettes...or at least it was at LG when we were there. All those kids need to do is to have seen Sean Marsee in person and they would never touch the stuff!

http://whyquit.com/whyquit/SeanMarsee.html

No more powerful argument than that, lepfan. Such a tragedy, especially for that young man to have been struck down in the "flower" of his youth by such a cruel and disfuguring disease.

Gobbla2001
01-18-2006, 09:53 PM
Wasn't allowed when I was in school, but know a lot still do it and a lot still smoke...

Those truth commercials etc... make me want to smoke even more... mocking smokers isn't a way to get on their good sides ha

MARLINDOGS
01-18-2006, 09:58 PM
I remember along time ago when we was coming back from a track meet I tried some copenhagen.I got sickkkkkkkkk and dizzy I thought I was going to die.I never did that again.

lepfan
01-18-2006, 09:59 PM
No more powerful argument than that, lepfan. Such a tragedy, especially for that young man to have been struck down in the "flower" of his youth by such a cruel and disfuguring disease. I was in college in Ada, OK (just a hop over from Talihina)when this kid was going through all this....he was one of the more popular kids! It shocked the community when this happened.

raider4life
01-18-2006, 10:00 PM
I don't know why anyone does it, it tastes like crap. I tried it one time and I threw up 3 times in 5 minutes. I can't believe people do it with coaches and teachers knowing and nothing is being done about it. Tobacco in any form alters the performace of the athlete and yet the coaches still let them do it. Makes no sense at all! :mad:

Gobbla2001
01-18-2006, 10:01 PM
I can't do snuff, but I can do chew... helps if I have a bottle of water to drink while in the act, drys you out...

football4life
01-18-2006, 10:08 PM
I would never touch the stuff (snuff), but i know quite a few who do, especially on the baseball team. Last year when i was a junior, several seniors did it, behind the coache's back. I havent seen it as much this year, but just the other day i saw a guy pop out a can.

Gobbla2001
01-18-2006, 10:11 PM
I don't know what it is about snuff and chew, but a lot of people I know will put it in and turn into Clint Eastwood or John Wayne or something really quick... talk like a damn surfer their whole lives, but some skoal and redman will turn 'em into the toughest cowboy to ever walk to planet...

"dude, like, what's that stuff, can I like I have some"

*inserts snuff/chew into mouth*

"I reckon this stuff purty good down 'nur, I 'member this one time we was huntin'............"

Bullaholic
01-18-2006, 10:11 PM
Years ago I was out fishing with my dad. He had some Red Man chewing tobacco and asked me if I would like to try some. I said "Never tried it---and don't want to, dad". He said, "Make you a "real man", son." I thought a minute and said---"O.k., I'll try it." He handed it over and I waited for him to pay attention to his fishing---and just when he wasn't looking, I reached into the minnow bucket and got a dead minnow and put it in the Red Man bag. Then I said--"Naw, I don't think I better try any, on second thought", and handed it back to him. A few minutes later he reached in the bag, got a big clump of the stuff, and put it in his mouth and began to chew. Of course I immediately asked--"Dad, you really like the taste of that stuff?" I could tell he had kind of a funny look on his face as he chewed, but he answered--"You bet, son--the taste is the best part." That old man never indicated anything was wrong, but I knew he was feeling some strange taste sensations. A few days later, I told him what I had done and he called me several unprintable names.

Ranger Mom
01-18-2006, 10:47 PM
Years ago I was out fishing with my dad. He had some Red Man chewing tobacco and asked me if I would like to try some. I said "Never tried it---and don't want to, dad". He said, "Make you a "real man", son." I thought a minute and said---"O.k., I'll try it." He handed it over and I waited for him to pay attention to his fishing---and just when he wasn't looking, I reached into the minnow bucket and got a dead minnow and put it in the Red Man bag. Then I said--"Naw, I don't think I better try any, on second thought", and handed it back to him. A few minutes later he reached in the bag, got a big clump of the stuff, and put it in his mouth and began to chew. Of course I immediately asked--"Dad, you really like the taste of that stuff?" I could tell he had kind of a funny look on his face as he chewed, but he answered--"You bet, son--the taste is the best part." That old man never indicated anything was wrong, but I knew he was feeling some strange taste sensations. A few days later, I told him what I had done and he called me several unprintable names.

HaHa!! That was great! I don't guess it made him give up the chew though?

Bullaholic
01-18-2006, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
HaHa!! That was great! I don't guess it made him give up the chew though?

No ma'am--he didn't. Sure miss that old man. :D

injuredinmelee
01-18-2006, 11:09 PM
I had to switch from Cope after 15 years to grizzly. Its cheap and now I cant stand the taste of anything else.

RMAC
01-18-2006, 11:38 PM
Well, I'm in high school, and I'd say that most all the guys have tried snuff at one point or another. I'm 18 and exercise my right to dip snuff. Sometimes I wish I didn't do it. I would go so far as to say that, yes, I am addicted. I only have 3 or 4 friends that are guys that don't dip. I actually have one friend who quit dipping and he's not even 18 yet. We don't give them a hard time or anything, they just don't. Sometimes they'll get up the courage to take one and let us laugh at them when their droolin' everywhere and have this look on their face. I think just about every young man will try it at one point or another. Some will like it, others won't. But I think that we're all in it together that we hate smoking. I don't disrespect smokers, everybody is entitled to do as they please, I just hate the smell. But the occasional cigar is okay in my book.

3afan
01-19-2006, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by RMAC
.... I think just about every young man will try it at one point or another....

i never tried, and I can't imagine why anyone WOULD ... just amazing to me why people dip/smoke/chew

my assumption is that most started due to peer pressure, and now they are to weak or to "stupid" to stop ... just my opinion of course, no offense intended

STANG RED
01-19-2006, 08:37 AM
I'v been dipping for about 34 years. Its a awful, nasty habbit! I hate to think of how much money I have wasted over the last 34 years. Not to mention the harm it is doing to my body. I would encourage any and all of you young fellows to give it up. I sure wish I had never started! It is very addictive, I dont care what anybody says. Just dont ever start to begin with, and you dont have to worry about it.

Chief Ohera
01-19-2006, 03:30 PM
yes it is a very bad habit, i have been doing it for some time now, i go through about three cans a week and even though i did timberwolf is does cost me some money, i wish i didn't do it but i am addicted and can't help it. i try not to do it w/ hott chicks around but that doesn't help, i think it is really great when you kiss a chick when you have a dip of snuff in, it really funny b/c most of the time they don't know that it is in there,
until next time.......

Bullaholic
01-19-2006, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Chief Ohera
yes it is a very bad habit, i have been doing it for some time now, i go through about three cans a week and even though i did timberwolf is does cost me some money, i wish i didn't do it but i am addicted and can't help it. i try not to do it w/ hott chicks around but that doesn't help, i think it is really great when you kiss a chick when you have a dip of snuff in, it really funny b/c most of the time they don't know that it is in there,
until next time.......

Chief, you ol' lady killer, you. :D

injuredinmelee
01-19-2006, 04:48 PM
here is what I figure i have spent.

13-17 $2000.00 Didnt dip as much as i do now.
17-32 (when I did Copenhagen) at an average of 3.50 a can i spent roughly $20,440.
33-34 1,460 I buy the $2.00 a can stuff now.

That would have been money well spent other places according to some but its one of the few things that keep me sane. I have tried to quit several times over the years but never gone more than a day. USually the wife or someone I worked with ended up not allowing me to quit because I was even more of a donkey than normal.

DaHop72
01-19-2006, 04:50 PM
I tried dipping and chewing, got sick on both. Heck, at least I avoided another habit.

Go Cuero
01-19-2006, 05:58 PM
My husband was a dipper before we met and then one night he tried it and he has been trying to quit for almost 5 years now. He is acutally on day 15 of not doing it now so hopefully this is the last time!! I hate it. It's expensive, makes his teeth yellow, his breath stink and he always has those stupid dip cups around the house and dip in his teeth. It's disgusting!! Not to mention anytime he sees a little bump on his lip he thinks he has cancer!! And he could very well get it one day. And it has so much more tobacco in it than cigs do.

When my son was 2 he taught the other kids in daycare how to spit like daddy. His teachers had to tell me that had to get onto him about it. My daughter even spits now!! What a great example!! LOL

Astrosdawg07
01-19-2006, 06:04 PM
Most of the Jasper High School baseball team does some form of tabacco and most of the school smokes. I see more smokers in this area than ever.

lepfan
01-19-2006, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by Astrosdawg07
Most of the Jasper High School baseball team does some form of tabacco and most of the school smokes. I see more smokers in this area than ever. Come visit me...it is horrible up here....half the town has an oxygen tank attached to their body!

Go Cuero
01-19-2006, 08:12 PM
I hate never heard of Sean Marsee until this thread. I'm forward that to my husband right now!!

slpybear the bullfan
01-19-2006, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
Wasn't allowed when I was in school, but know a lot still do it and a lot still smoke...

Those truth commercials etc... make me want to smoke even more... mocking smokers isn't a way to get on their good sides ha
\
Yeah.... when I was in school it was strictly verboten. There was a pretty significant group of all genders and ages that smoked, dipped, or chewed. but if you were caught you got in trouble. By the time I graduated, it was definitely the minority.

And yeah... those truth.com commercials grate on me like nobody's business. I would LOVE to see just how (in)effective they are.

Ranger Mom
01-19-2006, 09:13 PM
Do any schools still have "smoking sections"?

LH Panther Mom
01-19-2006, 09:21 PM
I doubt it. Ours have signs posted as you enter each campus that "this is a smokefree place during xxx hours". (I think they're school hours plus about 30 or so extra minutes before and after.)

00Sinker
01-19-2006, 09:40 PM
The main reason I dipped snuff was because i played baseball in college, plus my older brother did it also. So i guess these two reasons are'nt much to bragg about, but there are some out there who look up to ball players and their older siblings. About a month and a half ago i quit cold turkey and my brother still does it. i am still happy to say that i have'nt had a dip since the day i quit.

big daddy russ
01-20-2006, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
That would have been money well spent other places according to some but its one of the few things that keep me sane....
you're sane?:D

Gobbla2001
01-20-2006, 12:29 AM
My older step-bro smoked, so when I would go over to his house when I was in high-school I'd steal one... during my senior year just before I turned 18 I started smokin' and haven't stopped since... I am very happy to say that my teeth or not yellow, I've been able to keep 'em nice...

Chief Ohera
01-20-2006, 12:47 AM
yes, dipping snuff sucks and i will more than likely get cancer from it someday but i don't care b/c everyone has to die sometime right, why not let it be with something i enjoy to do, and as long as i have done well in vegas that's all i care to accomplish in life.
i have spent way to much money on it but it is the one thing that can keep me focused, sad but true,
until next time...............

lepfan
01-20-2006, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
I am very happy to say that my teeth or not yellow, I've been able to keep 'em nice... How is your halitosis?

3afan
01-20-2006, 06:15 AM
Originally posted by Chief Ohera
b/c everyone has to die sometime right, why not let it be with something i enjoy to do, and as long as i have done well in vegas that's all i care to accomplish in life............

pretty amazing to me ..... to die alone & with no teeth but with lots of $ is quite an accomplishment :thumbsup:

IMO ...

spiveyrat
01-20-2006, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by Astrosdawg07
and most of the school smokes. I see more smokers in this area than ever.

That's too bad. It hasn't always been that way.

piratebg
01-20-2006, 09:42 AM
When I was in school, most guy athletes I knew smoked, drank, or did both. The guys who did snuff/chew were mainly the baseball players. My cousin, who goes to school in a neighboring town, told me that his baseball coach allows it as long as they share with him and don't get caught with it at school.

3afan
01-20-2006, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by piratebg
.....baseball coach allows it as long as they share with him and don't get caught with it at school.

that guy has no business coaching HS players IMO ...

STANG RED
01-20-2006, 10:53 AM

I thought a state law was passed that prohibited any tobacco use on any school premisis. Isnt that what they announce before every game? I'm not real sure. I dont pay much attention till kickoff.

3afan
01-20-2006, 11:12 AM
for you dippers - what if your wife/gf/etc. starting dipping? would that be OK since you do? just wondering ...

piratebg
01-20-2006, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
for you dippers - what if your wife/gf/etc. starting dipping? would that be OK since you do? just wondering ...

You know that someone on here has a wife/gf that does. Hence the word, "REDNECK".

RMAC
01-20-2006, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by 3afan

Any girl I can share a spit cup with is that much sexier. . .

DaHop72
01-20-2006, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by RMAC
Any girl I can share a spit cup with is that much sexier. . .
Not me, I don't think I could handle a dipper or smoker.

STANG RED
01-20-2006, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by piratebg
You know that someone on here has a wife/gf that does. Hence the word, "REDNECK".

My grandmomma used to dip sweet garrett snuff. Does that count? I know I'm a "REDNECK"! But there are certainly worse alternatives!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DaHop72
01-20-2006, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
My grandmomma used to dip sweet garrett snuff. Does that count? I know I'm a "REDNECK"! But there are certainly worse alternatives!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Red, was that the powder kind in the little round container??
If so, mine did too, man that stuff was nasty.

STANG RED
01-20-2006, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by DaHop72
Red, was that the powder kind in the little round container??
If so, mine did too, man that stuff was nasty.

Yea, you could get it in the little tin cans, or in the glass jars. I bet she had a 100 or more of those glass jars. Thats all we drank out of at her house. They actually made pretty good drinking glasses.

HillBoy
01-21-2006, 10:06 AM
I am addicted to Grizzly but i kind of plan on quiting sometime. I started chewing when I was around 13 or 14 then moved to dip. Do alot of people start with chew or do most start just dipping?

3afan
01-21-2006, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by HillBoy
... plan on quiting sometime.

whats wrong with today??? :p

HillBoy
01-21-2006, 11:30 AM
I just bought a can today and whats wrong with tomorrow?:D

3afan
01-21-2006, 06:54 PM
keep putting it off and you'll never quit