PDA

View Full Version : School Uniforms

Bullaholic
01-18-2006, 03:41 PM
Looks like the issue of mandatory school uniforms is being placed on the agendas of several DFW ISD's. I think the time has come for all school districts to consider adopting a mandatory uniform dress code policy because it seems that violent incidents and discriminatory behavior is on the rise in most schools. It has gotten to the point that there can be potential violence resulting in the loss of a student's life or serious injury if they are wearing the wrong "colors" or made to feel so "inferior" if they are not able to afford the latest "in" styles, that suicide may be contemplated. I know that there are a host of problems associated with adoption of a uniform dress code policy, but I think the time has come for districts to seriously consider that loss of a little "individuality" does not equate to the potential loss of life or injury. I think that teachers should be willing to "walk the talk" by conforming to a uniform dress code, also. One step further----In light of the violent society in which we live---I think all school campuses should be "closed", surrounded by an 8' fence with razor wire at the top, and 1 in-out gate with an armed guard with a metal detector present. Make our schools "prisions"?---You bet, if it means the safety of our children. It is so easy for anyone to come and go unchallenged at our schools that it is ludicrous. Strangers can even pickup elementary school children with relative ease. Things have got to change, whether we like the inconveniences or not.

District303aPastPlayer
01-18-2006, 04:02 PM
wow... take a step back.. thats a very harsh way to analyze something... school uniforms take away from individualism which is what everyone tells their kid that they are... an individual.

pirate4state
01-18-2006, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
wow... take a step back.. thats a very harsh way to analyze something... school uniforms take away from individualism which is what everyone tells their kid that they are... an individual. being an individual is overrated!! :p :D

oh and last time I checked the only people trying to truly be "individuals" were marching to the beat of a weird drum. :evillaugh

Bullaholic
01-18-2006, 04:13 PM
wow... take a step back.. thats a very harsh way to analyze something... school uniforms take away from individualism which is what everyone tells their kid that they are... an individual.

Well, I guess you're going to have to "suffer" my rantings, D303. I love the freedom of individuality---it started out as a grand concept, especially in thought, but many other things have changed so radically in our society that we are going to have to join hands and change the way we do some things with regard to our welfare and security, otherwise we are headed for a "Tower of Babel" scenario in our nation.

HighSchool Fan
01-18-2006, 04:47 PM

there is part of the problem, you go to school to learn, not to become and individual. why do some of the younger people today think that the clothes make the person. you can wear a uniform and still have your so called individualism. kids should spend more time trying to learn instead of trying to impress with what clothes they wear.

micu98
01-18-2006, 04:59 PM
Clothes only cover the individual, you make who you are by the way you act. individuality is a state of mind not what you wear or the car you drive. Designer clothes only imply what you mommy and daddy can afford (or not).

GreenMonster
01-18-2006, 06:08 PM
This is just another instance of Communism invading our lives. Take away all the Freedoms and we will no longer be the Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave, we will simply become the United Communist States of America. Give our government enough time and our children will be tested and sorted into professions by age 6. Just because kids are kids do not allow their Civil Rights to be violated, stand up for their rights as Free Americans and beat down the Communist believers.

I was born Texan and Free by the grace of God. Anyone that tries to interfere with my God given unalienable rights will face my Right to Bear Arms.

SnyTigBaseB07
01-18-2006, 06:18 PM
There has been talk in Snyder for a while now about instating Uniforms, but apparently the catch is that the school would have up buy them then they use the money. Now i'm not saying this is true, this just speculation based on a few teachers statements, all i know is that if they do uniforms, it better be after i'm well gone.

HighSchool Fan
01-18-2006, 06:36 PM
are the mechanics that work in our shop civil rights taken away because they have to wear uniforms?? are police officers civil rights taken away because they have to wear uniforms? the kids civil rights let them go to school. it's the schools rights to make the policies. if the parents kids don't like the policies, then they have the right to take their kid out of that school and transfer them to another school of their choosing.

GreenMonster
01-18-2006, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
are the mechanics that work in our shop civil rights taken away because they have to wear uniforms?? are police officers civil rights taken away because they have to wear uniforms? the kids civil rights let them go to school. it's the schools rights to make the policies. if the parents kids don't like the policies, then they have the right to take their kid out of that school and transfer them to another school of their choosing.

Communist!

Nibb High Football Rules!!!

GreenMonster
01-18-2006, 07:56 PM
Actually HSF, you make valid points. Let me ponder over it for a bit and I will get back to you. By the way, it is a violation of the right to free speech under freedom of expression.

Bullaholic
01-18-2006, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
This is just another instance of Communism invading our lives. Take away all the Freedoms and we will no longer be the Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave, we will simply become the United Communist States of America. Give our government enough time and our children will be tested and sorted into professions by age 6. Just because kids are kids do not allow their Civil Rights to be violated, stand up for their rights as Free Americans and beat down the Communist believers.

I was born Texan and Free by the grace of God. Anyone that tries to interfere with my God given unalienable rights will face my Right to Bear Arms.

Run---The "Black Helicopters" are coming, GM! :D

Gobbla2001
01-18-2006, 09:50 PM
Good points on both sides... But I feel if a kid is old enough to drive a car, he is old enough to decide what he can and cannot wear as long as it is in taste...

A 16 year old can kill a man for whatever reason and be put in prison for life, yet he can't wear his own clothes?

When I went to school in Cuero it was simple for us guys... no sandles, shirts must be tucked in, must wear belts, no earrings, no hair below the ears and no facial hair... Heck, that was fine by me and was obviously fine with my parents... But it allowed the kids to wear their own style of clothes with a couple of guidelines on how, that may be a positive solution...

I agree that individualism can be a tad overrated sometimes, as well as an overused excuse... However, it is cool to be an individual in high school...

But lemme ask this... What does a uniform do to stop violence? is it bulletproof or anything???

"Yah, but the crips and bloods won't be able to express themselves by wearing different colors..." Sorry, do not care what stereotypes you've bought into or what have you, the kids know who is hanging out with who... you can't cover actions and words with uniforms, only 'American Eagle, Fubu, Old Navy' etc... will be taken out of the picture...

Go Cuero
01-18-2006, 09:56 PM
there is part of the problem, you go to school to learn, not to become and individual. why do some of the younger people today think that the clothes make the person. you can wear a uniform and still have your so called individualism. kids should spend more time trying to learn instead of trying to impress with what clothes they wear.

I totally agree with you. We had a little bit of a dress code growing up in Cuero (not like they have now) and it didn't hurt us a bit. We were all still individuals. I look at the district my son is in and all I see are thongs and shirts w/bellies sticking out and pants that are falling off their rear ends....and then I see their so called examples...the teachers. They are no better. I still can't believe some of the outfits the teachers wear. I mean what ever happened to the teachers dressing up a little instead of in blue jeans and flipflips and a t-shirt that is too tight around the chest area? I honestly think (and this is my opinion) that the kids think their teachers are just another friend or peer instead of someone they should look up too. I'm all for individuality and expressing yourself and not living a shelter life but when you get in the real world after school and get a job or start a career there are rules, dress codes etc that you have to follow.

Again just my opinion:)

MARLINDOGS
01-18-2006, 10:30 PM
I think they need to wear uniforms in schools today.But I am sure glad we did not have to back in the day.

MHSvarsity2007
01-18-2006, 11:15 PM
i think whats stopping merkel is that the school would have to buy them and a bunch of the parents would complain about being "an individual".

bulldogbark
01-19-2006, 09:07 AM
after serving in the Armed Forces for several years (26 to be exact) and having defended the rights of people. I know look back and relize that some of these right should never have been fought for.

we fought for freedom- freedom for people to burn our flag

we fought for frredom- freedom for anybody from anywhere to come in to the US and tell us how terrible it is.

we fought for freedom- to have a person stand up and say how big of a terrorest our president is.

we fought for freedom - freedom were a felon in jail has more wealth and is taken care of more than our law abiding people.

we fought for freedom- so much freedom that we have a national Communist party, Nazi party, skin heads , arian race, black panthers all part of our political process.

and thats just the tip.....

I wonder if I made a mistake to fight for freedom?

I belive we have far to many rights and some need to be looked at and if a person doenst want to abide.....its a big world out there with plenty of space.

GreenMonster
01-19-2006, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by bulldogbark
after serving in the Armed Forces for several years (26 to be exact) and having defended the rights of people. I know look back and relize that some of these right should never have been fought for.

we fought for frredom- freedom for anybody from anywhere to come in to the US and tell us how terrible it is.

we fought for freedom- to have a person stand up and say how big of a terrorest our president is.

we fought for freedom - freedom were a felon in jail has more wealth and is taken care of more than our law abiding people.

we fought for freedom- so much freedom that we have a national Communist party, Nazi party, skin heads , arian race, black panthers all part of our political process.

I belive we have far to many rights and some need to be looked at and if a person doenst want to abide.....its a big world out there with plenty of space.

Dude, you share a lot of Timothy McVeigh's views after his stint in the military. You might need to get some help.

bulldogbark
01-19-2006, 09:23 AM
that was a pretty sorry statement GM....I guess your saying that its ok for some one to burn a US flag ....I guess its ok for someone to bad mouth the US....Please dont share your views around any military base your most likely to get the Green kicked out of you. Mr McVieghs was a sorry excuse of a person so dont lump him in there with soldiers who are willing to fight for YOUR right to say what you want. not sure what age bracket you fall in either to young to know any better or maybe to old to know any better but until youve dodged bullets ( and not on the streets of the US) maybe you should try the military then say some stupid crap like we are like McVeigh., Hey go out a burn a flag....you have the right.

LH Panther Mom
01-19-2006, 10:00 AM
My boys all know where I stand on the clothing "issue" and what I'll allow and won't. They all know better than to ask for some shorts/pants that either show their drawers or the crotch is just above the knees and thankfully, none of them have ever questioned "why" nor even shown the desire to have it any other way. They're each individual in their "thinking" and that, to me, is what's important.

We don't have uniforms here, but if they were required, then I would support them. Sheesh......it's just clothes, not Brave New World.

Ranger Mom
01-19-2006, 10:04 AM
I was surprised to read that some schools pay for the uniforms.

In Midland, ALL the middle schools require uniforms. The parents have to buy these.

My nephew attends one of these school. My sister said buying school clothes this year was a breeze. 5 prs of khaki pants for $14.99 ea. at walmart...and 5 polo shirts.

The only thing she splurged on was his shoes.

Hannibal
01-19-2006, 11:07 AM
With all the complaining about school uniforms, I bet none of you ever played sports where you were told what to wear and how to wear it. Where is the individualism in that? What about the TEAM concept?

If you don't like the uniform issue, exercise your rights and move. I taught at a school that had a standardized dress code and it wasn't bad. It can be overdone, though, and too strict.

barney rubble
01-19-2006, 12:20 PM

As deplorable as those actions are, unless they are protected then your rights on shaky groung. I disagree about us having too many rights. You can't have too many rights. I believe it would be more accurate to say we have too many entitlements. Freedom to burn the flag is simply proof that we don't force people to love America. If you force people to show respect to the flag, then it becomes phony. Could East Germans people burn their flag? No. Did that make them love their country more? No, just the opposite. There are limits to immigration, so there is no freedom for anybody from anywhere to come into this country and criticize us. Freedom to criticize the president? Same as the flag. Take it away and you might as well go back in time to the Soviet Union. Freedom for felons to have more wealth and be taken better care of than our law abiding people??? I don't want the government taking care of me. I want them to stay out of the way. Freedom in our political process? Is there another way? What would happen if we limited political choice to a certain number of parties? Again, you would be repeating the mistakes made in other totalitarian dictatorships. Far too many rights? Impossible. Remember a true right is one that doesn't infringe on others rights. If that is maintained, then you simply can't have too much freedom. However, you can have too much government regulation of freedom. If we don't protect ALL rights, then NO right is safe.

GreenMonster
01-19-2006, 12:41 PM
that was a pretty sorry statement GM....I guess your saying that its ok for some one to burn a US flag ....I guess its ok for someone to bad mouth the US....Please dont share your views around any military base your most likely to get the Green kicked out of you. Mr McVieghs was a sorry excuse of a person so dont lump him in there with soldiers who are willing to fight for YOUR right to say what you want. not sure what age bracket you fall in either to young to know any better or maybe to old to know any better but until youve dodged bullets ( and not on the streets of the US) maybe you should try the military then say some stupid crap like we are like McVeigh., Hey go out a burn a flag....you have the right.

It was a very harsh (OK, Sorry) statement. For that I apologize. That dude was WAY off his rocker and it is unfair to lump you into any form of category that includes Tim McVeigh. But in fact, it is my right to burn a flag and whatever else you were complaining about in your post. Not that I ever would do any of those things. You and your brethren signed up to fight for those rights. I respect that. I also respect that without some restrictions on freedom there would be anarchy. But at the same time I have issues with the new attempts to limit my freedoms. I do not want government interference in my life. I pay my taxes and I toe the line. I know that you do the same. You claimed in your post that we have far too many rights and that we need to look at this. You should know better than any of us here that that is a terrible statement. As a soldier you have more than protected American Rights to freedom you have fought abroad for foreigners rights for freedom. You have seen first hand what oppressed people are like and the condition in which they live. America is great for one reason and one reason only, Each and every one of us has the right to be FREE. We have the right to live where we want, how we want, without fear of repercussions from our government. Any attempts by the government to limit those freedoms takes away from the greatness of the Stars and Stripes. It is important for all of us to remember that our Government is for the people, by the people, and protected by the people. If we ever forget that then we will head down the road to disolution.

GreenMonster
01-19-2006, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by barney rubble
As deplorable as those actions are, unless they are protected then your rights on shaky groung. I disagree about us having too many rights. You can't have too many rights. I believe it would be more accurate to say we have too many entitlements. Freedom to burn the flag is simply proof that we don't force people to love America. If you force people to show respect to the flag, then it becomes phony. Could East Germans people burn their flag? No. Did that make them love their country more? No, just the opposite. There are limits to immigration, so there is no freedom for anybody from anywhere to come into this country and criticize us. Freedom to criticize the president? Same as the flag. Take it away and you might as well go back in time to the Soviet Union. Freedom for felons to have more wealth and be taken better care of than our law abiding people??? I don't want the government taking care of me. I want them to stay out of the way. Freedom in our political process? Is there another way? What would happen if we limited political choice to a certain number of parties? Again, you would be repeating the mistakes made in other totalitarian dictatorships. Far too many rights? Impossible. Remember a true right is one that doesn't infringe on others rights. If that is maintained, then you simply can't have too much freedom. However, you can have too much government regulation of freedom. If we don't protect ALL rights, then NO right is safe.

Barney, I never knew someone that doesn't wear shoes could speak so eloquently. :D Nice post.

SintonFan
01-19-2006, 01:11 PM
I just don't understand how scruel uniforms can turn into a conversation about communism and it's definate encroachment into American society. :nerd:

GreenMonster
01-19-2006, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by barney rubble
If we don't protect ALL rights, then NO right is safe.

This is how SintonFan, Barney puts it all into perspective with that one little sentence.

NateDawg39
01-19-2006, 02:23 PM
there is part of the problem, you go to school to learn, not to become and individual. why do some of the younger people today think that the clothes make the person. you can wear a uniform and still have your so called individualism. kids should spend more time trying to learn instead of trying to impress with what clothes they wear. Sadly, kids are taught by their friends that if they do not where the "American Eagle" or the " Hollister", they are lower than everyone else. I hate the fact that this happens, but it is true in the younger generations.

Astrosdawg07
01-19-2006, 06:00 PM
Jasper does not have the issue with fights over the way kids dress.

bulldogbark
01-19-2006, 07:13 PM
if you recall at Jasper last year during 2nd lunch there was a rather large fist fight over what was found out to be about a pair of shoes (not sure if tennis or regular) but a fight did happen. never would of happened during my years at Jasper I didnt have the money to buy $200 shoes:(

Hupernikomen
01-19-2006, 08:11 PM
schools elect school boards to represent them and adopt policies. if people don't like a potential policy then they have the right to voice that opinion. with the drug epidemic we have among our youth many schools are adopting dress policies for the safety of everyone involved. if you don't like the policy adopted voice your opinion at a school board meeting. not a town yet adopted uniforms without extensive research and community input.

LH Panther Mom
01-19-2006, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen
if you don't like the policy adopted voice your opinion at a school board meeting.
And if those results aren't satisfactory, they have elections and folks are welcome to run. :)

slpybear the bullfan
01-19-2006, 09:05 PM
LOL... how about checking into to schools where this is done and see how SUCCESSFUL it is. It has NOTHING to do with taking away freedoms... SCHOOL is about children... and those children already have many "freedoms" taken away that you and I enjoy. No drinking... no smoking... no talking out of turn... no cursing... no decision to be lazy... etc. etc. etc.

IMHO, people are waaaaayyyy to excited and up in arms about the SMALL STUFF, like school uniforms, instead of the BIG STUFF, like getting involved at that same school and seeing if you can help make something out of one of those little blocks of clay. They might just grow up and suprise you.

"Give me individuality or give me death"! ROFLMAO!

micu98
01-21-2006, 12:57 AM
uniforms should not be an issue, the concern should be on the academics, maybe helping the teachers, or even getting more involved with the school. My kids have to wear either white or maroon polos to school, but can wear jeans. personally it is alot cheaper and the kids are still individuals, the kids have less probs figuring out what to wear, white or maroon, easy.

Bandera YaYa
01-21-2006, 01:18 AM
I can tell you I went and voiced my strong opinion and helped defeat the mere notion of bringing school uniforms to our town. And if you think having everyone dress alike will stop drugs or weapons from entering the school yard, then you are wearing rose colored glasses......it all starts at what you teach your children in your home......let's stop blaming our troubles on what the kids wear...geezzzzzzzzzz....let's focus on what's really important, and get our noses outta the clouds! :rolleyes:

District303aPastPlayer
01-21-2006, 02:49 AM
Originally posted by micu98
uniforms should not be an issue, the concern should be on the academics, maybe helping the teachers, or even getting more involved with the school. My kids have to wear either white or maroon polos to school, but can wear jeans. personally it is alot cheaper and the kids are still individuals, the kids have less probs figuring out what to wear, white or maroon, easy.

then if the focus is on academics, someone should tell the teachers... because they arent teaching information anymore... they are teaching standardized testing passing procedures if that makes sense...

LH Panther Mom
01-21-2006, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by Bandera YaYa
I can tell you I went and voiced my strong opinion and helped defeat the mere notion of bringing school uniforms to our town. And if you think having everyone dress alike will stop drugs or weapons from entering the school yard, then you are wearing rose colored glasses......it all starts at what you teach your children in your home......let's stop blaming our troubles on what the kids wear...geezzzzzzzzzz....let's focus on what's really important, and get our noses outta the clouds! :rolleyes:
I hate to burst your bubble, but there are lots of parents that don't teach these things to their kids. Even worse, weapons, drugs, alcohol, etc, in some cases, are actually learned at home. Uniforms might not help that, but in schools where there are problems with gangs, it might at least alleviate some of the fights.

GreenMonster
01-21-2006, 08:47 AM
no gangs in IP. It's still the Jocks, the Cowboys, and the Stoners.
Gotta love small town West Texas.

LH Panther Mom
01-21-2006, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
no gangs in IP. It's still the Jocks, the Cowboys, and the Stoners.
Gotta love small town West Texas.
Small towns around the state are mostly the same. I guess I live close enough to the city to get the bad news of what goes on in some of the bigger schools, both on the news and from people I know. And it's not necessarily the high schools or the schools in the "bad" part of town, wherever that is. Kids in 5th & 6th grade bringing switchblades to school & that was 11 years ago in a middle-class neighborhood school; 9th graders bringing a gun to school (just this past week), with "no intention to use it". Several years ago, one of my co-worker's daughters was too scared to go to school (8th grade), because a classmate had given her letters threatening her life. The principal at the school did jack squat about it. My head might be in the clouds, but it's not buried in the sand. I'm fully aware of what goes on around me AND my children. I can teach mine right from wrong, but I can't depend on everyone else to do the same.

Bullaholic
01-21-2006, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by Bandera YaYa

I don't think eveyone's noses are in the "clouds" on this issue, Ya Ya. As LHPMpm pointed out, the situation has gotten so bad in many schools that fights are being started over the "colors" worn by students. Students have been killed over their $100 tennis shoes. Wearing a uniform will not supress independent thinking, and will not cure problems such as drug abuse, rather I think uniforms will remove the "fashion" or "correct" clothing issue and serve to place the emphasis back on the purpose of our children going to school---learning. We, as a society must become more responsible when tackling an issue such as this and pass this legacy of the responsible handling of our problems on to our children. We all agree that it is the parent's responsibility to teach proper values at home, but unfortunately many parents "shirk" this responsibility and when their failing causes behavioral problems to the degree that our schools are curently experiencing, we need to step in and begin to take any action which will help restore "order" in our schools. Left alone, the problems will result in "anarchy" in our school systems which no administration can control. BTW, Ya Ya---I grew up a "free thinker" and still am, and I am not some old guy "control" freak on a power trip. I love our children and want to make sure that I do my best to guide them to adulthood by positive example and wise mentoring. These children will the first adult generation of a new millenium ---they are bright, inquisitive, and full of the joy of life. I hope I do my part to "steer" a safe course down the "river" of life until they are able to "navigate" on their own.

piratebg
01-21-2006, 09:36 AM
About the only good thing I can say about school uniforms are that they are a little more affordable, depending on the uniform dress code. Other than that, I don't really see why there is an issue. Teachers and parents tell their kids to be creative, to be themselves, does or does that not included expressing themselves through dress? I know I would go crazy in a world where everyone looked and dressed the same. School boards should spend their time debating education or building improvements. If the biggest concern on the docket is dress code, than I might consider calling for a re-election of school board members because that is just rediculous.