PDA

View Full Version : Good Luck Coach

44INAROW
01-18-2006, 02:40 PM
Charlie Reeve leaving Cuero to join Rice coaching staff
January 18, 2006 - www.victoriaadvocate.com

Charlie Reeve turned down Todd Graham once, but he couldn't say no a second time.

Reeve has resigned from his position as a Cuero assistant coach to become a graduate assistant on Graham's staff at Rice University.

Reeve will work closely with Rice offensive coordinator Major Applewhite and the Owls' quarterbacks and receivers, while returning to school to complete work on his master's degree.

"I hate to leave Cuero, it's a great place to coach," Reeve said. "But this is one of those opportunities that doesn't come up very often."

Cuero head coach Mark Reeve hired his son to coach the defensive ends last season. Charlie Reeve joined a staff that included his older brother, Travis, the offensive coordinator, and he helped lead the Gobblers to the Class 3A, Division II semifinals.

"This is something that I'll never forget," said Charlie Reeve, who played quarterback at Victoria High when his father was the head coach. "Being a football coach, there are not many better places to be than Cuero. I'll miss it and I'll miss the kids. But you get only a couple of shots in a lifetime to do something like this."

Graham was an assistant coach at West Virginia when Charlie Reeve was playing quarterback for Pearl River Community College in Mississippi. Graham attempted to recruit Reeve, who instead went to Southwest Texas State (now Texas State).

After a neck injury ended his playing career, Reeve became a student assistant coach at Texas State for two seasons. Reeve graduated from Texas State and took a position as an assistant coach at Bay City in 2004, where he helped to tutor quarterback Da'Marcus Griggs.

Reeve enjoyed the time he spent at Bay City and Cuero, but never lost the desire to coach on the college level. Graham, who was the defensive coordinator at Tulsa before taking over at Rice earlier this month, provided Reeve the opportunity he was seeking.

"This has been something I've wanted to do," Reeve said. "I had some opportunities but they just weren't the right situation. But this is a situation where I'll be able to work with Major and guys like coach Graham. It is a great opportunity for me to learn."

Mark Reeve has no doubt his son is making a good career move. Mark Reeve got to know Graham when Reeve was the head coach at Plano West and Graham was the head coach at Allen.

"I think it's going to be a great situation for Charlie at his age," Mark Reeve said. "It's a situation where he'll get to work with both coach Graham and Major Applewhite. He'll be able to get his master's degree and he should get a chance to stay there and work with them."

BU97
01-18-2006, 03:44 PM
that is cool.
So there are two Reeves sons on the staff? And the younger one was NOT the OC and he is the one going to Rice, did I get that right?

44INAROW
01-18-2006, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by BU97
that is cool.
So there are two Reeves sons on the staff? And the younger one was NOT the OC and he is the one going to Rice, did I get that right?

You got it right :)

District303aPastPlayer
01-18-2006, 04:00 PM
wow... thats kinda crazy