PDA

View Full Version : Single Wing or Spread?

kaorder1999
01-18-2006, 02:30 PM
http://www.coachwyatt.com/singlewing10.gif

Saw this diucussed on another board!

Adidas410s
01-18-2006, 03:05 PM
doesn't it have 2 wing backs??? Granted you also have a slot receiver on one side...so it makes if "questionable"...hence the discussion! Maybe we should call it the double strong wing...

I'm just rambling now...i'll quit! :rolleyes:

raider red 2000
01-18-2006, 03:14 PM
i would say that it depends on allignment.

i would also think that it also depends on what they are doing with the "wings"

also...what board was it on?

ILS1
01-18-2006, 09:26 PM
I think it really depends on what type of talent that you have available. The Spread usually works best with ALOT of speed. The Single Wing usually benefits those with slightly less speed.

:D

kaorder1999
01-19-2006, 11:53 AM
i think the correct answer is both......this formation though is out of a 1950 TCU playbook. This is now a formation, a no-back formation many spread teams use nowadays. Wild!

GreenMonster
01-19-2006, 12:08 PM
Depends on how it is used. Probably more of a Spread look in today's world of offenses. No spinner back and no overloaded line. I voted for both but after more careful review, I'd have to say spread. If it had at least a tight end and a spinner back I'd go with both.

zeus63
01-19-2006, 12:09 PM
The Spread is a great offense. There are several problems with running it at the high school level is that (and I believe someone already said this) you have to have a lot of speed. Also, most high schools don't flip the formations they, meaning they leave the same people ont he same side of the field all the time. This limits the not only the number of sets you can come out in, it also makes it easier for the defense to adjust. However, one high school that I saw rumming the spread this year that did an exceptional job was Canton. They had people all over the place. They all also had one heck of a QB, which helps, and receivers that were willing to do whatever it took to go get the ball.

kaorder1999
01-19-2006, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by zeus63
The Spread is a great offense. There are several problems with running it at the high school level is that (and I believe someone already said this) you have to have a lot of speed. Also, most high schools don't flip the formations they, meaning they leave the same people ont he same side of the field all the time. This limits the not only the number of sets you can come out in, it also makes it easier for the defense to adjust. However, one high school that I saw rumming the spread this year that did an exceptional job was Canton. They had people all over the place. They all also had one heck of a QB, which helps, and receivers that were willing to do whatever it took to go get the ball.

I understand where you are coming from but you don't have to have speed to be successful running the spread in my opinion. I dont think we are going to see Southlake win tons of track meets this year. Maybe I'm wrong but are we going to see any Canton sprinters at regionals or state this year? A team with mediocre (spell?) speed can still have success.

I was at a school the last few years that had a big bruising running back that was about a 4.7 or 4.8 and he had over 1500 yards rushing each of the last two years.