PDA

View Full Version : Teacher Salaries

Snyder_TigerFan
01-18-2006, 10:56 AM
I just read that the new coach of Abilene Cooper will recieve 89,000+ plus a 6,000/year for a car. I also read a link a week or so where coaches salaries were all around this much.

I got to say, I'm glad I'm not a teacher, cause seeing the salaries that the coaches recieve would make me a little upset. I'm not saying that coaches don't deserve more money because of the longer hours, pressure, etc., but 40-50K more? What's more important, a childs education or their athletic ability?

I know that alot of teachers don't necessarily do it for the money, but I'm sure it help the quality of the teaching/dedication if they had more money.

run_n_hit
01-18-2006, 11:02 AM
He is not just a coach, he is the Campus Athletic Coordinator. This is also an Administrative position, as are most Head Football Coaches. This salary is not that abnormal for administrators. There are a thousand other reasons HFC make alot of money, but if you have never been a coach you wouldn't understand. The only thing I will say, is that it is all about supply and demand.

Hannibal
01-18-2006, 11:04 AM
I can GUARANTEE that all coaches don't make that much. I get $2500 for each sport that I coach, and I am the head baseball coach at my school. This is on top of teaching three classes of freshman English, Speech, Health, and running the Girl's program. I think I make just enough to stay above the poverty line.

Adidas410s
01-18-2006, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Snyder_TigerFan
What's more important, a childs education or their athletic ability?

A few questions...

1. How often do you see 5-10K people paying $5-10/person to watch their kids in a classroom???

2. How often do you see parents griping at a teacher "What...you didn't go over ALL the Shakespeare plays??? You've GOT to be kidding me!!! How could you not know to teach the students that a linear regression is THE end all be all to math???"

I could go on with other examples...but now take those two questions that I just posed and consider the two biggest differences between being a teacher and a coach...

1. Revenue generated...

2. External pressures of the job...

Think about it...

mrescape43
01-18-2006, 11:25 AM
Teacher salaries are way low for the job they perform.

Snyder_TigerFan
01-18-2006, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
A few questions...

1. How often do you see 5-10K people paying $5-10/person to watch their kids in a classroom???

I could go on with other examples...but now take those two questions that I just posed and consider the two biggest differences between being a teacher and a coach...

1. Revenue generated...

2. External pressures of the job...

Think about it...

As far as I can tell, the school system is not a money making business. I'm not saying coaches do not deserve more money than a regular teacher's salary. There just seems to be a huge discrepancy (at least as far as a head coach/AD).

Originally posted by Adidas410s

2. How often do you see parents griping at a teacher "What...you didn't go over ALL the Shakespeare plays??? You've GOT to be kidding me!!! How could you not know to teach the students that a linear regression is THE end all be all to math???"
[/B]

I'm sure teachers face plenty of pressure from parents regarding grades and discipline.

Bottom line- Teachers deserve more money than what they receive.

STANG RED
01-18-2006, 11:42 AM
If you think AD jobs are high pay, just look at superintendent salaries. The Abilene superintendant makes $160,000 per year. Now thats crazy! You could pay alot of teachers salaries with that kind of money.

Bullaholic
01-18-2006, 11:46 AM
I've heard this argument many times in past years. There are vailid points on both sides of the issue which have also been liberally debated. No doubt that teachers are under appreciated and perhaps underpaid, and I hope the dedicated persons entering the profession will continue to do so in adequate numbers for the sake of our children. However, I believe this is still America--the land of opportunity. If you want to make $80K+ per year--don't become a teacher---become a coach, a doctor, or a lawyer or enter whatever field is commensurate with your skills and salary desires.

Snyder_TigerFan
01-18-2006, 11:50 AM
Good point Bull. I guess as a teacher, you know what you're getting into before hand.

Hannibal
01-18-2006, 11:54 AM
Good point Bull. I guess as a teacher, you know what you're getting into before hand.

Not really. Most know that there is very little monetary compensation but 85% have no idea aobut the amount of BS that teachers have to put up with. If you don't believe me, then why is the average teacher career only about 5-7 years? That should tell you something.

Adidas410s
01-18-2006, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
I've heard this argument many times in past years. There are vailid points on both sides of the issue which have also been liberally debated. No doubt that teachers are under appreciated and perhaps underpaid, and I hope the dedicated persons entering the profession will continue to do so in adequate numbers for the sake of our children. However, I believe this is still America--the land of opportunity. If you want to make $80K+ per year--don't become a teacher---become a coach, a doctor, or a lawyer or enter whatever field is commensurate with your skills and salary desires.

:thumbsup:

A few years back there was a big spat in the Abilene paper about how much coaches were being paid and there were MANY letters to the editor saying coaches should be paid less. I wrote a very lengthy response to which the paper edited and printed. I was the only letter that was ever printed in support of coaches salaries. Needless to say...it caused some commotion on its own because the Dean of Students at Hardin-Simmons University and I have the same first and last name. :rolleyes:

kaorder1999
01-18-2006, 01:26 PM
ok...coach here so let me get on my soap box. An AD/HFC is considered an "Administrato" by most school districts which is why they are put on 228 day contracts. These AD's don't just sit in the office and do nothing all day. They are constantly attending meetings with other Admins and are given other Admin responsibilities. While teachers are allowed to sit at home all summer, a head football coaches contract extends into the summer, which REQUIRES that they be at the school during the summer!

Also, look at the average pay among ASSISTANT COACHES, not head coaches which are usually also Admins. Beleive me, my salary is far from that of any head coach. If I'm not mistaken, by law, a principal and Super. have to make more then the Head Football Coach/AD. Principals do A LOT OF HIGH STRESS WORK and I believe that they deserve the pay they get. But at the same time put yourself in the shoes of a Head Coach/AD and think about the stress that goes along with that work as well. Do they have to do more work then the principal yet receive less pay? I can't answer that because I have not done either.

Districts set aside the money for the pay for their HC's/AD's because it's an administrative position. If you want to compare money, compare assistant coaches salaries with the teachers salaries.

MORE IMPORTANTLY, Argue that teachers aren't paid enough, not that coaches are overpaid.

Hupernikomen
01-18-2006, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Hannibal
Not really. Most know that there is very little monetary compensation but 85% have no idea aobut the amount of BS that teachers have to put up with. If you don't believe me, then why is the average teacher career only about 5-7 years? That should tell you something.

There are more certified teachers in Texas not teaching than those who are teaching. Enough said!

Nearly all coaches deserve every dime they get. There are plenty of places where the coaches are underpaid along with everyone else.

Hupernikomen
01-18-2006, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
ok...coach here so let me get on my soap box. An AD/HFC is considered an "Administrato" by most school districts which is why they are put on 228 day contracts. These AD's don't just sit in the office and do nothing all day. They are constantly attending meetings with other Admins and are given other Admin responsibilities. While teachers are allowed to sit at home all summer, a head football coaches contract extends into the summer, which REQUIRES that they be at the school during the summer!

Also, look at the average pay among ASSISTANT COACHES, not head coaches which are usually also Admins. Beleive me, my salary is far from that of any head coach. If I'm not mistaken, by law, a principal and Super. have to make more then the Head Football Coach/AD. Principals do A LOT OF HIGH STRESS WORK and I believe that they deserve the pay they get. But at the same time put yourself in the shoes of a Head Coach/AD and think about the stress that goes along with that work as well. Do they have to do more work then the principal yet receive less pay? I can't answer that because I have not done either.

Districts set aside the money for the pay for their HC's/AD's because it's an administrative position. If you want to compare money, compare assistant coaches salaries with the teachers salaries.

MORE IMPORTANTLY, Argue that teachers aren't paid enough, not that coaches are overpaid.

I agree totally kaorder..at at 3A schools the non AD coaches typically are making around 5-10K more than the classroom teacher with equal number of years. Put a pencil to the hourly wage for that extra 5K bucks that coaches put in and you will see that the districts are getting a nice bargain for the coaches' time.

As far as the law requiring the principal to make more than the AD, I believe that to be true and tried to find in in the TEC once but couldn't locate it. Would appreciate it if anyone has a link to the law that states this.

Gobbla2001
01-18-2006, 01:37 PM
I think teachers are underpaid, they should get more, but don't use coaches to compare them with...

I dunno who you talk to, but our AD doesn't make as much as this coach mentioned does, our assistants sure as hell don't...

I think assistants should get paid more as well, though... For example, during the football season, that coach is working 7 days a week... He's at school from 7 to 7 monday through wednesday... 7 to possibley midnight or later depending on the game on thursday, same on friday, up there on saturday and up there on sunday sometimes... PLUS he teaches...

AD's get fired if their team gets beat by more talented teams over his tenure there... plus he's there all the time, not just during football season...

Teacher may need more pay, but don't sit here and bring down the common coach...

MARLINDOGS
01-18-2006, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by mrescape43
Teacher salaries are way low for the job they perform. :clap: :clap: :clap:

CenTexSports
01-18-2006, 03:17 PM
Only a few people are paid based on the importance of the job that they perform. Pay is based on the skills needed to do a job taking into account the difficulty required to fill a vacant position. If there were a shortage of teachers then the pay would be higher to attract more people to go through that field and become teachers.

The fact that teachers don't understand the concept of supply and demand is unfortunate. It is a given in business and industry. In my case, the guys that work for me work a ton harder each and every day and the operation could not run without them. But if they leave, there are other workers to be hired. When I was hired, the position went unfilled for a year and they pay me significantly more than the factory guys. The difference is in skill set and the availability of someone to replace this position.

So I agree with the Bull; if teachers want more money, go where they have a skill set that allows for a higher pay range.

DaHop72
01-18-2006, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
If there were a shortage of teachers then the pay would be higher to attract more people to go through that field and become teachers.

The fact that teachers don't understand the concept of supply and demand is unfortunate.

So I agree with the Bull; if teachers want more money, go where they have a skill set that allows for a higher pay range.
The shortage is getting greater every year.
My wife has taught for 25 years, teaching is not a business.
Most teachers teach due to the fact that they feel lead to, not to become rich.

zeus63
01-18-2006, 03:47 PM
Only a few people are paid based on the importance of the job that they perform. Pay is based on the skills needed to do a job taking into account the difficulty required to fill a vacant position. If there were a shortage of teachers then the pay would be higher to attract more people to go through that field and become teachers.

The fact that teachers don't understand the concept of supply and demand is unfortunate. It is a given in business and industry. In my case, the guys that work for me work a ton harder each and every day and the operation could not run without them. But if they leave, there are other workers to be hired. When I was hired, the position went unfilled for a year and they pay me significantly more than the factory guys. The difference is in skill set and the availability of someone to replace this position.

Teachers are the ones that taught you the laws of supply and demand, jerk. Anyone that is not in the teaching profession should keep their mouths shut. I gaurantee you would not be able to put up with half of what we go through on a daily basis. And, it's short-sided people like you that will be the first to complain about the teachers and the school system when your kid is the one having trouble academically and socially. Teachers don't go into the teaching profession expecting to become rich. They do it because they love working with kids and they have a drive to make sure that each one succeeds, same with coaches. And, if there wasn't a shortage of teachers then why did the state government just up the age qualifier for teachers to retire. Since you probably don't know, here you go: Because if all the teachers and coaches that were eligible to retire did so within the next five years it would leave over 80,000 Texas teaching positions unfilled. Now WHEN it happens I want to see you make the same statement about supply and demand when the state of Texas goes bankrupt from having to up the salaries to a desireable level just to get anybody to apply for one of these jobs

Macarthur
01-18-2006, 05:08 PM
I'm probably going to get hammered about this, but here goes.

The average teacher salary in Texas is a little over 40K. If you annualize that pay for a 12 month work schedule that equates to a little under 50K per year. That's not at all a bad "average" salary in a particular industry. There are many other aspects of the job that make it attractive compared to the private sector.

This is a pretty good article and there are many more you can find on the subject by doing a simple internet search.

http://www-hoover.stanford.edu/pubaffairs/we/current/hanushek_0400.html

I have family members that are teachers and I hear this all the time. Quite frankly, I get tired of hearing it. It's not that I don't want teachers to get paid more. I would love for teachers to get paid more, but it's simply a fallasy that across the board pay increases will make anything better. It's a complicated question that has no easy answers.

CenTexSports
01-18-2006, 08:16 PM
To Zeus: What a great attitude to have (calling names and everything). Maybe teachers do teach supply and demand but I have also heard the old saying "those that can do those that can't teach!"

I have a great respect for GOOD teachers; those that work at their job and do everything they can to do their job well (probably 80% of the teachers). I just have NO respect for anybody that whines about their pay and does absolutely nothing about it. I have moved my family four times to get better jobs and a more secure future for them. I have had many men and women work for me that complained that they were not making more money but when I gave them the opportunity to do so many didn't want to put out whatever effort necessay to get the money.

Once again, teachers are compensated well and if they don't think so they should put in the effort to do what is necessary to get a higher paying job. Thanks for calling me a JERK. I take that as a compliment from one of our education's best.

18handicap
01-18-2006, 10:03 PM
SnyderTigerFan,
You need to check and make sure that teachers in Snyder are making what they deserve. I know that when I left there and went to the coast, I got a big raise.

lepfan
01-18-2006, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by DaHop72

Most teachers teach due to the fact that they feel lead to, not to become rich. Kind of like a preacher being led to the pulpit. After 19 years I am beginning to feel less "lead". I can not wait until I can get back to Texas to teach...at least there I averaged more than minimum wage!

lepfan
01-18-2006, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur
If you annualize that pay for a 12 month work schedule that equates to a little under 50K per year. That's not at all a bad "average" salary in a particular industry. I pretty much work more than the 188 days on the school calendar...did you ever think about the time spent to go back to school (at the teacher's expense) to further their education so they are still "highly qualified"??!! I logged my time spent on school work over a year one time....(all time spent within a 12 month period---) I was amazed that my hourly wage was a mere $3.12!!!!! By the way...this was done while teaching in Texas, one of the better paying states...AND it was done just a few years ago! (2002 or 2003...I don't remember)

big daddy russ
01-19-2006, 03:39 AM
I'm probably going to get hammered about this, but here goes.

The average teacher salary in Texas is a little over 40K. If you annualize that pay for a 12 month work schedule that equates to a little under 50K per year. That's not at all a bad "average" salary in a particular industry.
I got your back on this one, Mac. My girlfriend's going to school to be a teacher, and has already put in an application to Katy ISD where she'll likely be accepted to start sometime in 2007. Starting out, she'll make $38K a year.

Now she'll have her bilingual certification and special ed certification before it's all said and done, giving her quite a bit more than the average teacher, but that's still almost $13K a year more than I was looking at making with three and a half years under my belt as a TV journalist... and she gets a two months vacation instead of two weeks.

Not saying all teachers are well-paid, just saying you could do a lot worse than $38K a year. My grandparents were farmers who raised a family of four children on the modern-day equivalent of about $25K a year.

BULLDOGFAN
01-19-2006, 09:00 AM
Can't say much about whether the do or don't make enough but try firing a bad Coach or Teacher. You would be shocked at how that just does not happen.

And then if it does what glowing report sthe previous School District will give them. Hmmmmm

Hannibal
01-19-2006, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
I got your back on this one, Mac. My girlfriend's going to school to be a teacher, and has already put in an application to Katy ISD where she'll likely be accepted to start sometime in 2007. Starting out, she'll make $38K a year.

That is still more than I make in my 6th year of teaching and coaching. 2 years ago I figured up my hourly wage with all the coaching and teaching duties that I had and it came out to about $.57/ hour. This includes all the so called "overtime" that most people get after their normal 40 hour work week. Salaries are contigent on where you teach. I am at a small, economically disadvantaged 2A school (and drive 75 miles one way to get there) where I really don't make squat, BUT I like what I do and am good at it. Yes, I signed a contract and it was for 10 MONTHS payable over 12 months. Would I gladly accept a raise? That is a no brainer. But I am satisfied that my kids live in a small town and I have family near. Somethings are more important than money.

If you want to make the big bucks in teaching, you won't. You have to get into administration where the redundancy of positions is overwhelming. That being said, I would never want to be a principal or superintendant. Too many politics.

DaHop72
01-19-2006, 10:59 AM
That is still more than I make in my 6th year of teaching and coaching. 2 years ago I figured up my hourly wage with all the coaching and teaching duties that I had and it came out to about $.57/ hour. This includes all the so called "overtime" that most people get after their normal 40 hour work week. Salaries are contigent on where you teach. I am at a small, economically disadvantaged 2A school (and drive 75 miles one way to get there) where I really don't make squat, BUT I like what I do and am good at it. Yes, I signed a contract and it was for 10 MONTHS payable over 12 months. Would I gladly accept a raise? That is a no brainer. But I am satisfied that my kids live in a small town and I have family near. Somethings are more important than money.

If you want to make the big bucks in teaching, you won't. You have to get into administration where the redundancy of positions is overwhelming. That being said, I would never want to be a principal or superintendant. Too many politics.

Great post, Hannibal sounds like it comes from someone called to teach. We need more teachers like you and lepfan.

Bearkat
01-19-2006, 11:13 AM
Same old battle, same old results. Teachers want more money, teachers get nothing. I'm getting used to it. Just remember this: It's almost impossible to get a job without being able to read. Someone had to TEACH you to read.

SintonFan
01-19-2006, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Bearkat
Same old battle, same old results. Teachers want more money, teachers get nothing. I'm getting used to it. Just remember this: It's almost impossible to get a job without being able to read. Someone had to TEACH you to read.
My momma taught me to read at 4...:D

Macarthur
01-19-2006, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by lepfan
I pretty much work more than the 188 days on the school calendar...did you ever think about the time spent to go back to school (at the teacher's expense) to further their education so they are still "highly qualified"??!! I logged my time spent on school work over a year one time....(all time spent within a 12 month period---) I was amazed that my hourly wage was a mere $3.12!!!!! By the way...this was done while teaching in Texas, one of the better paying states...AND it was done just a few years ago! (2002 or 2003...I don't remember)

Sure, I've thought about this because I have to do the same thing.

There are lots of people out there putting in more than 40 hours per week. There are tons of people out there making more money than you that probably have lower hourly wage when you factor in just how much they work.

Hey, I'm not saying you guys don't earn your money. All I'm saying is that when you look at average pay comparatively, Teachers salaries aren't that out of line. Again, you can do an internet search and find literaly dozens of studies that elude to this.

lepfan
01-19-2006, 12:28 PM
and she gets a two months vacation instead of two weeks.
I will be looking forward to hear what you say when you and your girlfriend are living "the real teacher life" It looks good on paper, but you have a rude awakening if you think teachers have a "two month vacation" Take off your rose colored glasses...attitudes and comments like this make me laugh...(I have to laugh at them so I don't get angry)

lepfan
01-19-2006, 12:31 PM
Sure, I've thought about this because I have to do the same thing.

There are lots of people out there putting in more than 40 hours per week. There are tons of people out there making more money than you that probably have lower hourly wage when you factor in just how much they work.

Hey, I'm not saying you guys don't earn your money. All I'm saying is that when you look at average pay comparatively, Teachers salaries aren't that out of line. Again, you can do an internet search and find literaly dozens of studies that elude to this. :hand: You don't have a clue! TRUST ME!

lepfan
01-19-2006, 12:34 PM
That being said, I would never want to be a principal or superintendant. Too many politics. AMEN to that!!! My sister has her principal and super. endorsements...but she does not want to go to that position....she uses them only so she may write certain grants...

She went back to school and spent a lot of her own money getting these degrees, not to mention paying the $$$ to take the certification tests so that she could get more money for school programs. This is just one example of what we are talking about!

Macarthur
01-19-2006, 01:45 PM
:hand: You don't have a clue! TRUST ME!

You know what, you don't have a clue how difficult my job is every day either so quite making yourself into a martyr. I never claimed in my posts to know what you guys go through and I certainly never minimalized teachers and what they do. I simply tried to show how their pay is pretty competitive. And the fact of the matter is, teachers get more than double the "time off" during the year than most people get.

There are many "jobs" in the world that are not paid conmensurate with the benefit they give society. Teachers fall into that catagory. This is the attitude that I don't like that comes from teachers.

Hannibal
01-19-2006, 01:50 PM

There are many "jobs" in the world that are not paid conmensurate with the benefit they give society.

TRUE. But how many REQUIRE at LEAST a bachelor's degree?

GreenMonster
01-19-2006, 01:57 PM
TRUE. But how many REQUIRE at LEAST a bachelor's degree? Actually, to teach it requires a bachelor's degree and certification classes that leave a teacher roughly 2 classes short of a Masters degree. If I ever finally decide to take the plunge I will go ahead and get my Masters at the same time. At that point what is two more classes?

zeus63
01-19-2006, 01:59 PM
You know what, you don't have a clue how difficult my job is every day either so quite making yourself into a martyr. I never claimed in my posts to know what you guys go through and I certainly never minimalized teachers and what they do. I simply tried to show how their pay is pretty competitive. And the fact of the matter is, teachers get more than double the "time off" during the year than most people get.

There are many "jobs" in the world that are not paid conmensurate with the benefit they give society. Teachers fall into that catagory. This is the attitude that I don't like that comes from teachers.

Try being a teacher for a while and you will see what the attitude is about. It isn't just the pay, it's the fact that no matter what you do, you can never seem to do enough. We spend more time with other people's kids than our own and what thanks do we get for it, hardle any. And the last time I checked, 40K is not what I make, I'm not even close. But, all that aside, my argument is not about how much I get paid, it's that people that don't know shouldn't talk. I don't care what study you have read.

Black_Magic
01-19-2006, 02:12 PM
Teachers and coaches Go to school for on the average of 4 1/2 to 5 years. Starting pay in around 29,000.. makes them the lowest paid for the amount of college that is required than any other.. Id say a raise is in order if anything.

Macarthur
01-19-2006, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Black_Magic
Teachers and coaches Go to school for on the average of 4 1/2 to 5 years. Starting pay in around 29,000.. makes them the lowest paid for the amount of college that is required than any other.. Id say a raise is in order if anything.

That is flat out not true.

Macarthur
01-19-2006, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
Actually, to teach it requires a bachelor's degree and certification classes that leave a teacher roughly 2 classes short of a Masters degree. If I ever finally decide to take the plunge I will go ahead and get my Masters at the same time. At that point what is two more classes?

So, it's not about the pay? :thinking:

GreenMonster
01-19-2006, 02:23 PM
So, it's not about the pay? :thinking:

The pay along with the BS is what's holding me back. I can make more $ selling Coke's down at the Mini-Mart.

Black_Magic
01-19-2006, 02:33 PM
LOL If it was about "THE MONEY" i doubt many teachers would be teaching at all. You can make more money going to school 4 1/2 to 5 years and bing a CPA or lawyer, Manager, ect... teachers in other states make upwards of 50,000-60,000. Is it that much to ask that Teachers get paid 40,000 in texas?

Black_Magic
01-19-2006, 02:34 PM
That is flat out not true. what is not true about it?

zeus63
01-19-2006, 02:40 PM
I get a kick out of it when people say the average teacher salary in Texas is around 40K. That may be true once you consider the pay people get in cities like Dallas and Houston and combine it with the fact that the vast majority of teachers are at the top of the pay scale even at smaller school districts. Take my mom, she has been working for Snyder ISD for 24 years and makes 42,000 before taxes, insurance, and retirement. Also, take into account that Texas in #34 on the list of 50 states in order of top teacher pay.

Hannibal
01-19-2006, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
Actually, to teach it requires a bachelor's degree and certification classes that leave a teacher roughly 2 classes short of a Masters degree.

Tell me something that I don't know.

CenTexSports
01-19-2006, 02:52 PM
So are you saying that your mother lives in a shack with no running water and has to run to the outhouse? I bet not. I would guess that she lives in a 3 bedroom home in a nice area or has some acreage outside town. She has a decent retirement package and will live comfortably to see her great grandchildren. There are a lot of people in this country and in this world that would change places with her. Plus she has the satisfaction of having a positive influence on many people.

zeus63
01-19-2006, 03:25 PM
So are you saying that your mother lives in a shack with no running water and has to run to the outhouse? I bet not. I would guess that she lives in a 3 bedroom home in a nice area or has some acreage outside town. She has a decent retirement package and will live comfortably to see her great grandchildren. There are a lot of people in this country and in this world that would change places with her. Plus she has the satisfaction of having a positive influence on many people.

Would you trade places with her?

And, as for what you said in one of your previous posts "Those that can, do. Those that can't teach." I'm a football coach that chose not to play after high school fot health reason's. My senior year I was recruited by Tech, UT, SMU West Point, Naval Academy (just to name a few). Instead I went into the military and did my service their, during which time I took 3 bullets and 4 knife wounds, then went back for more. I believe I have "done" and now I am passing along my experiences and expertise to those that "will" in the furture.

CenTexSports
01-19-2006, 03:29 PM
Congratulations and thank you for your service but the point I was trying to make is that if you or any other teacher is not happy with their pay, then do something else that pays in the range you want to be paid. I personnally do not believe that teachers should complain since they knowingly go into thie profession.

lepfan
01-19-2006, 03:50 PM
You know what, you don't have a clue how difficult my job is every day either so quite making yourself into a martyr. :confused: Oh my apologies...I did not know we were talking about the difficulties of your job :rolleyes: You brought it on yourself. Don't make blank statements...people who make blank statements obviously didn't spend enough time studying while in school.:nerd: I am not in a pissing contest with you on whose job is more difficult. The comments I have written are my opinions...:p

spiveyrat
01-19-2006, 04:19 PM

My wife finished in 3 1/2! :clap: :cheerl:

Black_Magic
01-19-2006, 04:52 PM
Well good for your wife. BUT it still took the same number of classes . She must have gone both summer terms. people who go to school for the same amount of time in just about EVERY other profesion make more. Lowest paid job for the education there is.

big daddy russ
01-19-2006, 06:06 PM
I feel you on that one. Seemed like everytime I was up at the school you and the rest of the coaching staff were there too. I even remember being up there until almost one in the morning after a Friday night game (had to email in the results and wait for a ride) and you guys were still up there when I left.

As for my girlfriend and I, if she takes that job we'll probably live in Fulshear and commute. I can't stand Houston. It's not a Texan city, it's just a city in Texas.

Macarthur
01-19-2006, 06:28 PM
:confused: Oh my apologies...I did not know we were talking about the difficulties of your job :rolleyes: You brought it on yourself. Don't make blank statements...people who make blank statements obviously didn't spend enough time studying while in school.:nerd: I am not in a pissing contest with you on whose job is more difficult. The comments I have written are my opinions...:p

Wow. Am I mistaken or is the post about teacher's salaries. We are not talking about my job. We have beat this thread to death talking about your job. I didn't bring anything on myself. Again, we're talking about your profession, not mine.

I suppose you mean blanket statement, not blank. I'm not sure what you mean by blanket. I can support my numbers. They are statistical averages. I think most here can read both of our posts and tell which has spent the most time "studying".

Macarthur
01-19-2006, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by zeus63
I get a kick out of it when people say the average teacher salary in Texas is around 40K. That may be true once you consider the pay people get in cities like Dallas and Houston and combine it with the fact that the vast majority of teachers are at the top of the pay scale even at smaller school districts. Take my mom, she has been working for Snyder ISD for 24 years and makes 42,000 before taxes, insurance, and retirement. Also, take into account that Texas in #34 on the list of 50 states in order of top teacher pay.

You know, I had to move away from the area that I grew up because salaries and job prospects were poor. It's supply and demand. Teachers are more in demand in some areas, thus better pay.

The average teacher salary is 40K. That is fact.

lepfan
01-19-2006, 06:35 PM

I suppose you mean blanket statement, not blank. I'm not sure what you mean by blanket. Ummmmm....NO! I said BLANK statement and I meant BLANK statement. Do not put words in my mouth. (I don't need any help there) If you don't understand what I mean maybe you need to spend a little more time studying :nerd: LIFE :nerd: and less time making a donkey out of yourself.:rolleyes:

:D :D Life is great!

lepfan
01-19-2006, 06:39 PM
You know, I had to move away from the area that I grew up because salaries and job prospects were poor. It's supply and demand. Teachers are more in demand in some areas, thus better pay.

OMG!!!! Is lightning going to strike? I totally agree with you here. My husband and I also moved away because job/salary prospects were poor in our hometown area. I am in Kansas now because of the opportunity for my husband to advance with his job. You do what you have to do for your family. (I took a $10,000 a year raise when I moved to Kansas to teach!) I can't wait to get back to Texas...not only for the pay, but also for the tax break.

lepfan
01-19-2006, 06:41 PM

The average teacher salary is 40K. That is fact. <without trying to sound like a smartbutt...honestly>
You really have to delve into those statistics...most that list the 'average salary' will not only include classroom teacher salaries, but also include ALL administrators salaries as well. (that jacks it way up when an administrator makes 6 figures)

LH Panther Mom
01-19-2006, 09:50 PM
My parents (teacher & coach) never once complained about the salaries they made nor did we ever hear "we can't do blah blah or buy blah blah because it costs too much". This thread doesn't appear to have been started by a teacher, either. Those that teach don't do it for the money. I can't think of anyone I know that wouldn't like to make more money, all teachers included. And they should! If it were not for the dedicated souls who CHOOSE to teach, what type of life would we all have?

Black_Magic
01-19-2006, 10:13 PM
I just read that the new coach of Abilene Cooper will recieve 89,000+ plus a 6,000/year for a car. I also read a link a week or so where coaches salaries were all around this much.

I got to say, I'm glad I'm not a teacher, cause seeing the salaries that the coaches recieve would make me a little upset. I'm not saying that coaches don't deserve more money because of the longer hours, pressure, etc., but 40-50K more? What's more important, a childs education or their athletic ability?

I know that alot of teachers don't necessarily do it for the money, but I'm sure it help the quality of the teaching/dedication if they had more money.
1) the 89,000 plus 6000 is one of the highest in west texas. Most head coaches make in the range of 50-65 and are administrators. Principals make about that much.
2) just about all other coaches get paid 3,000 to 6,000 over and above teaching. translate that to hours spent coaching and it is less than $1 per hour for coaching. SO If you were a teacher that does not coach you would be even more upset if you had to teach saturday school 1 out of 3 saturdays in the whole year at a rate of less than $1 per hour.:rolleyes: . over 90% of coaches teach too. dont they diserve the same rate other teachers make?

Your right Im sure coaches dont coach because of the money. But considering the time and effort and headache ( dealing with all sorts of problems most would not dream of ). I think paying coaches $3,000 to $6000 over and above what teachers make isnt anything for regular teachers to get upset about . Unless they want to put in the time and effort for the same compensation.

Teachers are the most underpaid profesionals there is for the amouont of education they are required to have.
I saw a coment that teachers make an average of $40,000 a year..... ok the beginning teacher makes $29,000.. not much for someone who has over 150 hours of college. most BS degrees require 120 hours and starting pay is much higher. You can make more than $29,000 a year by going to technical school for a year and a half and becoming a dental or medical assistan.

Macarthur
01-19-2006, 10:33 PM
Ummmmm....NO! I said BLANK statement and I meant BLANK statement. Do not put words in my mouth. (I don't need any help there) If you don't understand what I mean maybe you need to spend a little more time studying :nerd: LIFE :nerd: and less time making a donkey out of yourself.:rolleyes:

:D :D Life is great!

Well, I can honestly say I have never heard the phrase BLANK statement. I've studied enough to get a master's degree so I don't think that's the problem.:confused:

lepfan
01-19-2006, 10:40 PM
I've studied enough to get a master's degree I can tell you are not an idiot ;) just stirring the pot with my opinions....Today's lesson was fact/opinion in Reading :) .

spiveyrat
01-20-2006, 08:04 AM
Well good for your wife. BUT it still took the same number of classes . She must have gone both summer terms. people who go to school for the same amount of time in just about EVERY other profesion make more. Lowest paid job for the education there is.

Yes, good for her! Of course she went to the summer terms. Couldn't have done it in that amount of time otherwise. :nerd:

Hupernikomen
01-20-2006, 08:24 AM
There is a reason why we have more certified educators who are not teaching that those that are..and it isn't because "those who can do." It is because it is one of the most underpaid, under-appreciated, high-stress jobs there is around. Some just can't handle it, and others figure out in a hurry that it just not worth it to them. The rest we should be very thankful for.

DaHop72
01-20-2006, 08:45 AM
Well, I can honestly say I have never heard the phrase BLANK statement. I've studied enough to get a master's degree so I don't think that's the problem.:confused:
So, if you've studied enough to have a masters, the question is do you??

Hannibal
01-20-2006, 09:48 AM
I feel you on that one. Seemed like everytime I was up at the school you and the rest of the coaching staff were there too. I even remember being up there until almost one in the morning after a Friday night game (had to email in the results and wait for a ride) and you guys were still up there when I left.

As for my girlfriend and I, if she takes that job we'll probably live in Fulshear and commute. I can't stand Houston. It's not a Texan city, it's just a city in Texas.

That is one of the reasons I got out for a while. Had to recharge and make sure that teaching/coaching is what I really wanted to do. It is. I missed it so much when I was out, that my wife was even griping to me about getting back in. For some it is a job, and for others it is a career. Personally, I love it and am lucky enough to have a wife that will start a new job next month that will pay her more in a week than I make in a month.

Agree with you about Houston. I guess you have to have been born there to really like it.

zeus63
01-20-2006, 11:27 AM
I've seen a couple of posts that say teachers start out making 29,000. Just so everyone knows the state base for a first year teacher in Texas is 25, 910.

Hannibal
01-20-2006, 11:43 AM
And what is considered the poverty level?

zeus63
01-20-2006, 11:59 AM
And what is considered the poverty level?

Depends on how many people are in your family.

big daddy russ
01-20-2006, 01:41 PM
That is one of the reasons I got out for a while. Had to recharge and make sure that teaching/coaching is what I really wanted to do. It is. I missed it so much when I was out, that my wife was even griping to me about getting back in. For some it is a job, and for others it is a career. Personally, I love it and am lucky enough to have a wife that will start a new job next month that will pay her more in a week than I make in a month.

Agree with you about Houston. I guess you have to have been born there to really like it.
That's good to hear. It's going to be kind of the same thing in our family... I'm getting out of journalism/TV and moving more towards public relations. There's more money in PR and more time with my family. We want a little horse ranch and a couple of Harleys, and since she'll be teaching someone's going to have to foot the bill. :D

Oh, and she was born and raised in Houston but since dating me she's come to hate it. She actually wanted to move to California when she graduated, but I changed her mind. She'd never really "seen" Texas, she had just driven through it. She thought the rest of Texas was exactly like Houston.

I introduced her to Garner State Park, the Guadalupe, the Hill Country, Luckenbach, the real Texas Coast (not Galveston), Bocktoberfest and Wurstfest. She couldn't believe that it's actually a fashion statement to wear Wranglers and ropers to school in the rest of the state, and that people here actually enjoy country. She did go to a great private school there in Houston, but I guess that's one thing they don't teach.

Black_Magic
01-20-2006, 01:48 PM
And what is considered the poverty level? Hannibal, You think Going to school for 5 to 6 years and then after that starting salary of the job that pays $26,000 is not being under paid?

Hannibal
01-20-2006, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by zeus63
Depends on how many people are in your family.

Call it an average family of four.

Hannibal
01-20-2006, 01:52 PM
Hannibal, You think Going to school for 5 to 6 years and then after that starting salary of the job that pays $26,000 is not being under paid?

Hey, I truly believe that teachers and teacher/coaches are SEVERELY underpaid. Been in the business for 6 years in public and 2 in private and still haven't reached 40K.

tuff26
01-20-2006, 02:11 PM
Here is a question why do you start off and get paid by exsp. instead of how good a teacher you are. I was told by an old teacher now he was making the money to buy a camper but he had to raise his kids in a tent. hope that makes sense it sure did to me. give raises on evaluations.

Hannibal
01-20-2006, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by tuff26
Here is a question why do you start off and get paid by exsp. instead of how good a teacher you are. I was told by an old teacher now he was making the money to buy a camper but he had to raise his kids in a tent. hope that makes sense it sure did to me. give raises on evaluations.

We get raises on a step program. And after 20 years, you don't get a raise any more.

How are you going to tell the good teachers from the bad ones? 1.Student passing rate? Who grades the papers and inputs the grades? If my pay was determined by the amount of kids that I had passing my classes, no one would ever fail, even those who come into class unprepared everyday, never do their work, and refuse to do what they are told.

2. Not all teachers teach the same thing. Some teach core classes (English, Math, Science, Social Studies) while others teach electives. Still some teach remedial classes, other teach Advanced Placement classes, and still others teach the entire spectrum from the special ed kids that have their tests and assignments modified (to give them a chance to be successful) to the kids that are too lazy in the AP classes and just want to coast in the regular class.

3. If you are going to give pay raises based on evaluations by administrators, you ask any teacher and they will tell you that they have put on a dog and pony show for the admin. when they get evaluated.

tuff26
01-20-2006, 02:34 PM
I just think you should be paid more at first then at the end. Eveyone else gives bonus checks for that. I am talking about more of a bonus

Hannibal
01-20-2006, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by tuff26
I just think you should be paid more at first then at the end. Eveyone else gives bonus checks for that. I am talking about more of a bonus

Would be nice. I've never seen one.

DaHop72
01-20-2006, 03:16 PM
We get raises on a step program. And after 20 years, you don't get a raise any more.

And at that point and time in your career they are looking to replace you with someone right out of college.

Hannibal
01-20-2006, 03:33 PM
In order to save money.