PDA

View Full Version : Story from Abilene Reporter on Carrillo

wildstangs
11-29-2002, 12:10 AM
Sweetwater's quarterback lives and breathes football
By Noell Barnidge
Reporter-News Staff Writer

Sharon Carrillo has one request: "Don't break the china."

It is a statement she has been making ever since her son, Mychal, first started walking because there has always been a football inside their home and Mychal, his younger brother, Kendal, and their father, Tim, are like the proverbial bulls in a china shop when they are watching football games on TV and tossing the pigskin throughout the family room.

Lamps have been broken. Windows have been shattered. Yet, through it all, Sharon Carrillo's china cabinet has remained intact.

"We were always throwing a ball in the house," Mychal said. "We still do it, too, and she still gets mad. We've broken plenty of things around the house, but we haven't broken the china cabinet."

Not yet. Welcome to the world of Mychal Carrillo, Sweetwater High's quarterback, where football is an around-the-clock activity.

Carillo, a 5-foot-8, 160-pound senior, will attempt to break through Decatur High's defense when Sweetwater (9-3) plays the Eagles (12-0) at 2 p.m. Saturday in a Class 3A, Division II regional playoff game at Memorial Stadium in Stephenville.

An option quarterback, Carillo has been busting through opposing defenses for the past three seasons as a varsity starter.

As a sophomore, Carrillo rushed for 902 yards and six touchdowns on 153 carries. During his junior year, Carrillo rushed for 1,911 yards and 18 touchdowns on 239 carries. He also completed 38-of-72 passes for 649 yards and eight touchdowns to go with five interceptions.

This season, Carrillo has rushed for 1,672 yards and 21 touchdowns on 216 carries. He has completed 32-of-70 passes for 593 yards and seven touchdowns to go with four interceptions.

Sweetwater High coach Kent Jackson calls Carrillo "one of the special ones" because of his athleticism.

"Mychal is an extremely gifted individual, but he will be the first to tell you he's got a great cast around him," Jackson said. "He has an innate ability to read (defenses) and make split decisions with the football."

In Sweetwater's 33-20 victory over Perryton last Friday in Lubbock, Carrillo carried the ball 17 times for 194 yards and four touchdowns. Carrillo's touchdowns covered 17, 19, 5 and 2 yards. The Mustangs finished with 397 yards on 45 carries, and Carrillo attempted just one pass, which fell incomplete.

Jackson said Rice, Air Force and Eastern New Mexico are recruiting Carrillo as an option quarterback because "option quarterback abilities like his are pretty rare."

Other colleges are recruiting Carrillo as an athlete who can play at various positions.

"He's versatile enough that he can contribute as a slot receiver, as a running back or as a defensive back if he doesn't want to pursue quarterback," Jackson said.

When Sweetwater's season ends, Carrillo plans to make official recruiting visits to Texas Tech, Air Force and Rice. He is considering visiting Eastern New Mexico and Hardin-Simmons.

"Texas Tech is in my heart," Carrillo said. "But anything is open. Every option is still open. I'll take a role as a slot receiver or as a running back if it means I can play for a big-time college program. I'm looking more at schools where I can be a part of a winning tradition, and where I don't have to touch the ball on every play."

Carrillo touches the ball on nearly every play for Sweetwater, but he said he does not feel pressure to win.

"I've got so many people around me that can do good things," Carrillo said. "The pressure is not really on me."

One such player is senior fullback Jack Squires, who carried the ball 17 times for 144 yards and a touchdown against Perryton. Squires surpassed the 1,000-yard mark for the season en route to the victory.

Sweetwater's rallying cry is: "The hoof-beats are many, but the heartbeats are one."

"It's a team concept," Carrillo said. "It means one heartbeat is everything. There are many players but, together, we make one heart."

Contact sports writer Noell Barnidge at 676-6773 or at barnidgen@reporternews.com

Chief Woodman
11-29-2002, 12:25 PM
Great article! Thanks for posting it. Sounds like a class young man, family and team. Your team certainly has my respect.

BportFan
11-29-2002, 08:40 PM
Could he become another Wes Welker at Tech? I hope so. The duo of Daugherty and Carrillo would great to watch!

wtexasfballfan
11-29-2002, 10:37 PM
i was also thinking that the way he runs with the ball is very similar if not better than wes welker from texas tech. i also imagine this kid has good hands, so i am excited to see how he does at the next level. good luck mustangs!

wildstangs
11-29-2002, 10:42 PM
BportFan:
Could he become another Wes Welker at Tech? I hope so. The duo of Daugherty and Carrillo would great to watch!The Welker thing was mentioned earlier. Would be nice for some 3A boys to lead the Red Raiders.

wildstangs
11-29-2002, 10:44 PM
BportFan:
Could he become another Wes Welker at Tech? I hope so. The duo of Daugherty and Carrillo would great to watch!The Welker thing was mentioned earlier. Would be nice for some 3A boys to lead the Red Raiders.