PDA

View Full Version : Student adjusts to life after evacuation

HighSchool Fan
01-17-2006, 05:08 PM
Student adjusts to life after evacuation

By TONI HOLLAD, Special to the Register
Marisa Peltier, an eight-year-old student from Orange, made the best of a life disrupting situation.

Her family temporarily settled in Gainesville after evacuating their home to escape Hurricane Rita earlier this fall.

“It all started when we were watching the weather news to see what would happen. My family decided to go to Woodville. My mom was coming in another car and had an accident,” recalled Peltier as she told her story.

“A truck hit her car, and the driver didn't even stop to see if she was hurt,” she said. “My mom, her name is Michelle, flew in a helicopter to a hospital.”

Peltier told how Charlie, a family friend, helped her family come to Gainesville to stay with his relative, Chris Matern.

Peltier's mom was taken to a Houston hospital where she continues to recuperate from a sprained right wrist, a jagged tear in her lower left leg, a fractured left pelvis, and a shattered left hip which required extensive surgery.

After getting settled in new surroundings, Peltier was enrolled at W.E. Chalmers Elementary School Sept. 29.

She was assigned to Mrs. Hanna's third grade class and immediately began making many new friends. Before leaving school on Nov. 4, she spent her last week at Chalmers taking pictures of her classmates and trading phone numbers so that they can keep in contact with each other.

“It's been good here, like really special to me. At my old school they don't do as many things as this school does,” Peltier said. “My school doesn't have choices everyday like hamburgers and chicken nuggets or the entree. At Chalmers we have a bigger playground. The teachers are really nice, and the computer lab person is one of the best that I have ever seen. She lets us play lots of math games and reading games and language, too. All we do at my other school is typing tutor.”

She continued: “Mrs. Hanna is a great teacher. She teaches us lots of strategies that I didn't know. So when I get back to my old school, I won't have to ask the teacher what kind of strategy I should do. I think the teachers are the best thing at Chalmers because they are so nice. When I walk by classes, I can tell that lots of kids are learning things.”

Peltier added she enjoys living in Gainesville and going to school at Chalmers.

“It has been a great experience. I've learned a lot and made lots of friends. This is a good school,” she said.

WOSgrad
01-17-2006, 05:45 PM
I am glad that someone has the time to write about those that have suffered as a result of Hurricane Rita. I guess it is not as newsworthy as talking about New Orleans on a daily basis. You can still drive through the streets of Orange and see of blue and it is not because of the city wide support of the Mustangs.

There are many more Marisa Peltiers than the national media care to acknowledge...I am glad that the local media is doing its part.

Stretch04
01-17-2006, 06:02 PM
NOT TO STEP ON ANY TOES OR HURT ANY FEELINGS!

The people of Texas are more resilient and didn't expect handouts and everything to be done for them. Those people pulled up their boot straps and went back to work to rebuild their lives. They didn't wait around for the next handout and complain when it wasn't done for them.

God Bless Texas andd their wonderful residents.

football4life
01-17-2006, 06:29 PM
Just thinking out loud- I wonder if they caught the guy who hit her and left? That's just ridiculous. Also, from the kid's comments, it seems as though the Orange school that she went to wasn't that great. I know nothing about Orange or that part of the state, just commenting on what I read.

Bandera YaYa
01-17-2006, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by Stretch04

The people of Texas are more resilient and didn't expect handouts and everything to be done for them. Those people pulled up their boot straps and went back to work to rebuild their lives. They didn't wait around for the next handout and complain when it wasn't done for them.

God Bless Texas andd their wonderful residents. Amen!

44INAROW
01-17-2006, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by Stretch04

God Bless Texas andd their wonderful residents.

I agree 100% :)

Originally posted by HighSchool Fan

“It has been a great experience. I've learned a lot and made lots of friends. This is a good school,” she said.
nice to see she's making something positive out of a negative :)