PDA

View Full Version : University of Texas ='s Dominance

mustang04
01-17-2006, 10:47 AM
i used to hate UT growing up, but now i love them...and EVEN IF u still hate UT...u CAN NOT deny their overall dominance in sports

FOOTBALL
Baseball
Softball
Basketball
Volleyball
Track

they are ranked in just about every sport almost...what all schools can boast that????

hata_hurta06
01-17-2006, 10:49 AM
:thinking: :clap: :thinking: :clap:

sahen
01-17-2006, 12:49 PM
baylor is ranked in almost every sport they compete in but football and men's basketball, unfortunately those r the only ones that people care about.....

3afan
01-17-2006, 01:31 PM
will BU have any Americans on their tennis teams this year?

RMAC
01-17-2006, 01:39 PM
I highly doubt it, then again, most NCAA schools only have a handful.

Adidas410s
01-17-2006, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by RMAC
I highly doubt it, then again, most NCAA schools only have a handful.

fatty...get your info straight! GAH!! The last guy on their team the last two years is a kid named Jason Gould...forget where he is from off hand. Other than that...no Americans

Adidas410s
01-17-2006, 02:00 PM
this year they are showing 1 American on their team...John Reckewey from Nebraska. His older brother Joel played @ either Nebraska I think. They used to come to Abilene in the summers for tennis tourneys we were all playing in...so this isn't totally random information!

Here is Baylor's roster...

Matt Brown FR-HS 6-1/165 Chesham, England/Epsom College
Michal Kokta JR-1L 5-11/165 Prague, Czech Republic/The English College in Prague/Univ. of New York in Prague
Lars Poerschke SO-1L 6-1/168 Buseck, Germany/Gesamtschule Giessen
Vladimir Portnov JR-1L 6-1/175 Moscow, Russia/Moscow Institute
Jon Reckewey JR-2L 6-2/150 Lincoln, Neb./Independent Study
Will Ward RS SO 5-9/151 Auchland, New Zealand/Sacred Heart College
Matija Zgaga JR-2L 5-11/175 Maribor, Slovenia/Maribor Gymnasium

Phil C
01-17-2006, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by 3afan

We have to remember that we have some foreigners at UT playing sports for us. Daria Mieloszynoka who is a senior and plays good basketball for our ladies. Also Stephanie Gibson was a freshman on our soccer team last year but was limited due to injuries and hopefully will be a big help to us next year. Welcome to America and UT and thank you for coming to Austin to our out of country athletes as well as those from Texas and the rest of the USA.

sahen
01-17-2006, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
y does it matter? they go to Baylor just like me and every other student here.....I'm actually friends with some of the guys on the tennis team, they are great guys and bring a lot to the University....most dont even plan on playing pro tennis, they are very greatful to come to America, get a degree and then use it to start their own buisnesses and such....

Adidas410s
01-17-2006, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by sahen
y does it matter? they go to Baylor just like me and every other student here.....I'm actually friends with some of the guys on the tennis team, they are great guys and bring a lot to the University....most dont even plan on playing pro tennis, they are very greatful to come to America, get a degree and then use it to start their own buisnesses and such....
it's just kind of sad that the "NATIONAL" champs of men's college tennis is a team of players from Eastern Europe.

I'm not making this gripe because Baylor is doing this. Many schools have done this for years...including all the other Texas schools. Take Georgia for example, a few years back I went to Austin to watch Georgia and UT (with Clyde, TX's Brandon Hawk playing #1) play in tennis. Georgia had a team of 5 Spanish players and 1 kid from Atlanta in Bo Hodge. The reason for this is the Georgia coach is fluent in Spanish and thus has a distinct recruiting advantage over other schools. However, when it reaches a point where the kids/coaches are communicating in another language during a match...then some type of rules need to be put in place to level the playing field. At least now the NCAA is only allowing a foreign-born athlete to have 2 years in eligibility instead of 4 years. I think this only applies to tennis though so don't quote me on that...

Rabbit'93
01-17-2006, 05:32 PM
So what you're saying don't play someone because of where there from? I think there are laws against that.

Adidas410s
01-17-2006, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Rabbit'93
So what you're saying don't play someone because of where there from? I think there are laws against that.

unlike in a free market...NCAA sports are NOT a market (except for football/basketball evidently) and men's tennis has created a system in which American tennis players are in the minority in D1 tennis...if not in D1 and D2 combined.

Chief Ohera
01-17-2006, 08:05 PM
who cares, everything went their way this year and in prior years, every break went there way and the ball bounce there way every time, i mean come on how lucky can a university get, come on guys all you bandwagon jumpers,
BOOMER SOONER
until next time......

sahen
01-17-2006, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
unlike in a free market...NCAA sports are NOT a market (except for football/basketball evidently) and men's tennis has created a system in which American tennis players are in the minority in D1 tennis...if not in D1 and D2 combined.

you do realize kids from other countries go to school in america right?....and most dont even play sports....if we used your system then we wouldnt allow international students, or their would be only a certain % of international students allowed...

sinton66
01-17-2006, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by Chief Ohera
who cares, everything went their way this year and in prior years, every break went there way and the ball bounce there way every time, i mean come on how lucky can a university get, come on guys all you bandwagon jumpers,
BOOMER SOONER
until next time......

Dude.....you need a new song, this one is getting BORING.

AggieJohn
01-17-2006, 09:03 PM
a&m wins equestrian every year

sahen
01-17-2006, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
a&m wins equestrian every year
i thought Ok St. wins every once and a while?

Gobbla2001
01-17-2006, 09:21 PM
BOOMER SOONER
until next time......

We're not bandwagon jumpers, we're just proud of a group of Texans...

sahen
01-17-2006, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
We're not bandwagon jumpers, we're just proud of a group of Texans...
techniquelly we could say the same thing back when OU won the championship...

Gobbla2001
01-17-2006, 09:26 PM
techniquelly we could say the same thing back when OU won the championship...

Exactly, which is why in one of these threads involving Chief Jealousy, I admitted that I would be haoppy if OU won the Nat'l title, mainly because of over 70% of the starters being Texan... I have no shame in that...

sinton66
01-17-2006, 10:08 PM
I have ALWAYS been a UT fan and always will be. I definately ain't a bandwaggoner. Ya gotta admit, thoughj, it's something else to have an NC in baseball and football. Then, their pumkinballers are ranked #5 last I heard. Not bad, not bad at all.

Hupernikomen
01-17-2006, 10:36 PM
Would like to see the current breakdown of our national pasttime (baseball) of US born players versus non US born players..while we are at it do the same for basketball (probably not as many foreign-born players but a healthy percentage). Lot of money on the line in sports. Franchises and universities alike go wherever to get the best.

Pmoney
01-17-2006, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
I have ALWAYS been a UT fan and always will be. I definately ain't a bandwaggoner. Ya gotta admit, thoughj, it's something else to have an NC in baseball and football. Then, their pumkinballers are ranked #5 last I heard. Not bad, not bad at all.
i am the same way i have been a Texas fan since i was 6 yrs old and i will forever be a Longhorn fan....and this year is going to be a great one for UT athletics

slpybear the bullfan
01-17-2006, 11:05 PM
BOOMER SOONER
until next time......

^
^
^
^
SOUR GRAPES. With a capital S.

Gobbla2001
01-17-2006, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan
^
^
^
^
SOUR GRAPES. With a capital S.

sOUr grapes you mean?

I could mention another, but I like being allowed to post here...

Adidas410s
01-18-2006, 12:24 AM
you do realize kids from other countries go to school in america right?....and most dont even play sports....if we used your system then we wouldnt allow international students, or their would be only a certain % of international students allowed...

I'm not discussing the student body at all. I provided a specific example...men's tennis. There is a SIGNIFICANT amount of international students that come to America and prevent many American tennis players from being able to play on scholarship when they do have the talent. What is worse is that many coaches prefer the international students because they typically come from a tennis academy where "tennis is life" as opposed to the average American student who has a much better grasp on "life outside of tennis." My problem is not with the kids coming here...and not really the kids even playing sports. My problem is WHERE IS THE MONEY GOING??? When you consider that a tennis team of 8 players is only alloted 4-6 scholarships from the university...we have a problem.

Let me provide you some food for thought. Tennis is "considered" an affluent sport. Those that are considered "wealthy" (using the Democratic definition) would be those in the top tax bracket, the top 10% of income earners. Currently that number sits at roughly $90,000...it's a little bit higher but we are going to round for simplicity sake. Have a family with an income of 90,000 submit a FAFSA and you fill get a response that says that family should contribute between $12 and $20k per year to their kids college. To put that in better perspective, 2 teachers in any suburban DFW ISD with 5+ years experience are making 90k. Take 20-25% of their income away and you are talking about a BIG deficit in their paycheck. So NOW do you see my issue with international students taking away a scholarship from an American student? No wonder we are not even a top-10 country in terms of education...we are giving free rides to the countries that are ahead of us!

Chief Ohera
01-18-2006, 01:03 AM
the only player i like on the team is
brian robinson he is a DE i think number thirty nine, the only reason i like him is that he was a great track and field athlete. i believe has the state record in the discus, two hundred and fifteen feet i think, he is even better in track than he is in football he respects the sport.
BOOMER SOONER
until next time.........

sahen
01-18-2006, 01:14 AM
so i geuss we shouldnt give scholarships to international students :thinking: ...i understand that u dont want to take the money away from American kids, but the international kids are better tennis players....If you give that money to an American kid you may feel good about it but the truth is then you lose your tennis matches as a coach and dont have a job....You may want the NCAA to rule inthis area but to be quite frank i think the last thing the NCAA should be able to do is to start tellin people who they can and cannot allow to go to school....this should be up to the school itself, barring certain situations dealing w/ grades....and to whoever said international kids only get 2 years of elgibility, i dunno where that came from because as a junior at baylor i know several of the tennis players have been playing since their freshman year, one which i know personally and if it was against the rules then teh NCAA would prolly have said something when we won our title...

and the reason we are not a top 10 country in education has nothing to do w/ us giving scholarships to foreign tennis players....they dont even make up 1% of the student body the team is so small....the money issue is tuff, but that is life....i personally have my parents pay for books (thank god for that), but that is it, i worked my rear off in highschool and got scholarships so i could go to college and still have ungodly student loans....them keeping a tennis scholarship wouldnt have helped me any, i say give it to the people that are the best whether they are from Texas or the Ukraine, it works the same w/ academic scholarships (a lot of these go to foreign kids who have a much higher work ethic in college than american kids so they get better grades, yet have no life in my opinion, though another issue entirely) but even though i think that they have no life they earned the scholarship over me so i dont complain....if an American kid thinks he is better than the foreign kid gettin a scholarship then get out there and prove it, its what we have to do in the academic fields, y not do the same on the court?

MARLINDOGS
01-18-2006, 03:03 AM
I love it!:clap: :clap: :clap:

Adidas410s
01-18-2006, 10:00 AM
and to whoever said international kids only get 2 years of elgibility, i dunno where that came from because as a junior at baylor i know several of the tennis players have been playing since their freshman year, one which i know personally and if it was against the rules then teh NCAA would prolly have said something when we won our title...

I think you missed my point about the scholarships...I was referring specifically to the ATHLETIC scholarships. I don't have a problem with the kids playing...but geez i'm sure they qualify for a LOT of different scholarships/grants/LOANS etc. so let them pursue that avenue. When a school is only alloted 4-6 FULL scholarships for 8+ kids on a tennis team...why give them all to foreign players when their are American players that are just as good? Trust me...go watch the D2 and/or D3 Nationals and you will see PLENTY of kids at these schools that are not on scholarship that can compete with many D1 schools. Heck, my best friend is All-American in D3 and has NUMEROUS wins against the "scholarship players" at D1's that came over here to play tennis. Just because the kid is on scholarship doesn't make him a better player than those at lower levels not on scholarship. I tried to explain earlier why a coach would take an int'l player over an American player...go back and read that again and let it soak in.

Now to address what I quoted above. This is a rule that the NCAA only recently came out with. It either takes effect this academic year or next...that's why you haven't seen it "in play" just yet. Give it time though...

Gobbla2001
01-18-2006, 01:19 PM
so i geuss we shouldnt give scholarships to international students :thinking: ...i understand that u dont want to take the money away from American kids, but the international kids are better tennis players....

I have no problem with an international kid being a better athlete in a sport played at an American university... But that's just it, it's an American university... It'd be different if they were forkin' out a scholorship here and there, but turning an American university team into an all international team is #1 pretty much eliminating the chances of any great American tennis player getting a scholorship and #2 having an international team representing and American university...

Gobbla2001
01-18-2006, 01:20 PM
the only player i like on the team is
brian robinson he is a DE i think number thirty nine, the only reason i like him is that he was a great track and field athlete. i believe has the state record in the discus, two hundred and fifteen feet i think, he is even better in track than he is in football he respects the sport.
BOOMER SOONER
until next time.........

And your point is?

I don't think he'd like you, though...

3afan
01-18-2006, 02:43 PM

didn't say if it matter'd or not, was just asking ...

01-18-2006, 06:45 PM
To chief o(sh!t)u,

Lucky beats good EVERYtime!:D :D

sahen
01-18-2006, 07:01 PM
When a school is only alloted 4-6 FULL scholarships for 8+ kids on a tennis team...why give them all to foreign players when their are American players that are just as good? Trust me...go watch the D2 and/or D3 Nationals and you will see PLENTY of kids at these schools that are not on scholarship that can compete with many D1 schools. Heck, my best friend is All-American in D3 and has NUMEROUS wins against the "scholarship players" at D1's that came over here to play tennis. Just because the kid is on scholarship doesn't make him a better player than those at lower levels not on scholarship. I tried to explain earlier why a coach would take an int'l player over an American player...go back and read that again and let it soak in.

tennis isnt a game where the top seed whens every time, they are just more consistant than the lower seeded players....At Baylor i have seen 3 different guys hold the number 1 seed in 2 tennis seasons so far...One guy, my freshman year held it at the end of the year and never lost once he got it....However, the other 2 guys both got beat when they were number 1, and they got beat by guys that were 50+ on their seed, one of these guys that was number 1 only lost twice last year (once in the NCAA tourney and once in the season)..Was number 50 better than number 1? yes, on that day but not over the whole season....The D2 and D3 kids im sure have some guys that should be playin on scholarship at a D1 school, but its that way in all sports, for the most part they arent as good as the D1 kids consistantly or they would be there....

i say give the scholarships to the best players, they earn them....i have to compete against international students to get academic scholarships and if they get them cause they earned them over me then so be it....its life....

Adidas410s
01-18-2006, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
I have no problem with an international kid being a better athlete in a sport played at an American university... But that's just it, it's an American university... It'd be different if they were forkin' out a scholorship here and there, but turning an American university team into an all international team is #1 pretty much eliminating the chances of any great American tennis player getting a scholorship and #2 having an international team representing and American university...

thank you for seeing what I was trying to get at!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: You win the prize... :thumbsup:

sahen
01-18-2006, 10:08 PM
thank you for seeing what I was trying to get at!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: You win the prize... :thumbsup:
i understand what your saying, and yes i see that the tennis teams are all international students, however i just disagree that its wrong.....

Adidas410s
01-18-2006, 10:17 PM
i understand what your saying, and yes i see that the tennis teams are all international students, however i just disagree that its wrong.....

I'm not saying it's wrong...but it's DEFINITELY not right! Not sure if that makes much sense...:doh: