PDA

View Full Version : is VY overhyped?

Chief Ohera
01-16-2006, 07:23 PM
i am just wanting to know if anyone on this board thinks that VY is overhyped and overrated, besides me, and phil c, i think you are a smart ole' fella and i would really like your opinion on this one, you seem to know alot about UT sports, and does everyone really think that he will make a great NFL QB, the defenses are just to fast and big for VY to run against and his passing skills aren't that defined, he has horrible mechanics..
BOOMER SOONER.
until next time................

Astrosdawg07
01-16-2006, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by Chief Ohera
i am just wanting to know if anyone on this board thinks that VY is overhyped and overrated, besides me, and phil c, i think you are a smart ole' fella and i would really like your opinion on this one, you seem to know alot about UT sports, and does everyone really think that he will make a great NFL QB, the defenses are just to fast and big for VY to run against and his passing skills aren't that defined, he has horrible mechanics..
BOOMER SOONER.

Have you forgot how big VY is?

JHS_c/o_06'
01-16-2006, 07:34 PM
BOOMER SOONER.

You do realize that USC could have beaten a handful of pro teams.....and vince made a mockery of them...

gobbler84
01-16-2006, 07:35 PM
Standing at 6'5" 230, you can play just about anywhere you want...except the line and LB! He will be successful because he has the abilty to play QB or WR or anywhere else...The again he resembles Mike Vick when he came out or college...No one thought he would make it,,,look at him now!

Gobbla2001
01-16-2006, 07:36 PM
I honestly think it may be hard for him to make an immediate impact in the NFL... However, after a couple of years adapting to the big boys, he'll be fine... One thing we must do is NOT compare him to Vick... #1 Vick is a lot smaller, Vick cannot see the field as well as Young... #2, Vick had a year with some spectacular plays, Young was consistant...

For such horrible mechanics, he sure did beat the hell out of OU with 'em... Those are his natural mechanics... For a 6'5 QB, those are not very bad mechanics, you're not going to get a ball knocked down a lot if the ball is being released at almost 6 and a half feet in the air... I could understand if he were 6 feet even, I'd agree with you...

I do not think that he is overrated... No one has said he is the greatest QB in the NFL, because he is not even there yet... No one has said that he will take his team to the Super Bowl automatically... The only thing that people have said is that he could be the greatest college QB of all time... not by the way he throws the ball, which folks have him beat... not by the way he runs the ball, which I can't think of anyone who has him beat, but because of the way he does BOTH... But the biggest thing is the quit, he possesses NONE of it... He is an ultimate leader, his legs and arm have caused his HEART to be underrated if anything is rated otherwise in this arguement...

I'm not saying this kid is gunna be the best NFL player of all time, not even giving him a lock for the Hall of Fame or for a QB who gets his team to the playoffs consistantly, he may end up on a team full of Arizona Cardinals... But saying he is overrated is a tad premature, because hardly anyone has rated him so far, they have only stated the obvious in saying he is one of the best college football players of all time (which you cannot deny, look at the numbers and his performances on the biggest stages college football has to offer, and the smaller ones as well)...

I think you should ask Vince Young and the rest of the Longhorns if they will get a room with you, because you just cannot stop talking about them... and take a camera with you when you ask, I wanna see what caused all of the bumps and bruises all over your body...

Chris Hart
01-16-2006, 07:45 PM
I personally think the guy was one heck of a college QB. I still have my doubts about him as far as the NFL is concerned. I do think he will eventually start in the NFL, but never with any great success. I really and truly hope he proves me wrong, and goes down as an all time great being a texas boy and all. I don't know, call me old fashioned, but I still prefer the prototype pocket passer...:)

sinton66
01-16-2006, 07:57 PM
I don't think the comparison between Michael Vick and Vince Young is appropriate. Sorry, but IMO, Vince is a much better athlete. I think Vince will be successful in the NFL if that's what Vince really wants to do. I've watched him enough now to believe that he CAN do WHATEVER he wants to do in the game of football.

HighSchool Fan
01-16-2006, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by JHS_c/o_06'
You do realize that USC could have beaten a handful of pro teams.....and vince made a mockery of them...

please don't tell me that you really think that USC or Texas for that matter could beat a NFL team.

Gobbla2001
01-16-2006, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
please don't tell me that you really think that USC or Texas for that matter could beat a NFL team.

I sure as hell don't... Using my gift of understanding 'humor', I take his comments as a 'joke', stabbing at every major network crowning USC "The best of all-time" prior to their hearts being ran over by an 18-wheeler full of elephants who had just finished eating mercury...

Old Tiger
01-16-2006, 08:13 PM
This Blow U fan is hilarious...

3afan
01-16-2006, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by JHS_c/o_06'

the Texans were the worst NFL team and USC would have no chance against them

Old Tiger
01-16-2006, 08:28 PM
The people in the NFL are the best of the best of college athletes. They are bigger and faster than those in the college ranks.

Chris Hart
01-16-2006, 08:55 PM
The only non pro team that could compete with the NFL teams of today, we all know was the 03 Burnet Bulldogs. I thought that had been established long ago....:D

Old Tiger
01-16-2006, 09:02 PM
lol Chris....

HighSchool Fan
01-16-2006, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by Chris Hart
The only non pro team that could compete with the NFL teams of today, we all know was the 03 Burnet Bulldogs. I thought that had been established long ago....:D

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

bulldogman06
01-16-2006, 10:15 PM
Look VY will make an impact in the NFL whether at Qb or not, he will still be a sought after player. He is physically gifted, can throw, im thinkin maybe a matt jones type player. however, after seeing him throw the ball in the rose bowl, and lookin at this seasons passer ratings, i believe he may be able to play some qb.

football4life
01-16-2006, 10:19 PM
Why do we even reply to this guys posts? He's ridiculous...:rolleyes:

Leopards,class of 75
01-16-2006, 10:21 PM
The only non pro team that could compete with the NFL teams of today, we all know was the 03 Burnet Bulldogs. I thought that had been established long ago....:D LOL, really they were a very good team!!!

Gobbla2001
01-16-2006, 10:25 PM
It would have been Bulldogs vs. Broncos this weekend...

formermbcouns
01-16-2006, 10:31 PM
BOOMER SOONER.

Nope!

Old Tiger
01-16-2006, 10:33 PM
The only non pro team that could compete with the NFL teams of today, we all know was the 03 Burnet Bulldogs. I thought that had been established long ago....:D And Forney is the 2cd best team in 3a

Gobbla2001
01-16-2006, 10:34 PM
http://www.galleywinter.com/main/images/avatars/131065563243bd996d3beb4.pjpeg

Wait a second, is that the national championship trophy in Vince Young's hands... kinda looks like a national championship cap and shirt as well... hmmmmmmm:thinking:

Old Tiger
01-16-2006, 10:49 PM
BOOMER SOONER.
until next time................ What's that Chief Ohera, I can't understand you I gotta National Championship in my ear.

Gobbla2001
01-16-2006, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
What's that Chief Ohera, I can't understand you I gotta National Championship in my ear.

Haha

Chief Ohera
01-16-2006, 11:24 PM
come on now guys, you all are really funny, do any of you ut fans think that ya'll can teach VY how to speak correctly he really embarrased the university,
the funny thing is that when i walked into work the day after they won the title the first thing that was said about that game was how bad VY's grammer is and how he talks like he is in the hood w/ all of his boys, i think it's pretty funny b/c it's bringing down the university
that really meant alot what that person said b/c they watched the game but the first thing they said was about VY's speech. it's sadly funny,
he really needs to get his degree in SPEECH COMMUNICATIONS.
BOOMER SOONER,

Gobbla2001
01-16-2006, 11:26 PM
Is this thread about Vince Young's athletic abilities or his speech? Personally, I do not enjoy talking that way, but from where he's from, that's how they talk...

Is that all you've got?

you ask a question about his athletic abilities, we answer it, and you have to go off on his SPEECH...

Congrats, your Sooners not only got beat by a team featuring a QB with horrible mechanics, they also got beat by one with horrible grammar...

Are you a teacher? Or just perfect?

District303aPastPlayer
01-16-2006, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
Is this thread about Vince Young's athletic abilities or his speech? Personally, I do not enjoy talking that way, but from where he's from, that's how they talk...

Is that all you've got?

you ask a question about his athletic abilities, we answer it, and you have to go off on his SPEECH...

Congrats, your Sooners not only got beat by a team featuring a QB with horrible mechanics, they also got beat by one with horrible grammar...

Are you a teacher? Or just perfect?

both

Chief Ohera
01-16-2006, 11:38 PM
brother,
you don't know what i do, but any idiot can tell that he has horrible grammer problems and that he speaks gangsta talk, i just wonder what his act and sat scores were in high school, b/c i know that it is hard to get into UT, and i would like to know just how many times this guy attended class and what is gpa is in school,
i have two words to say,,,,
BOOMER SOONER.
until next time.......

District303aPastPlayer
01-16-2006, 11:39 PM
brother,
you don't know what i do, but any idiot can tell that he has horrible grammer problems and that he speaks gangsta talk, i just wonder what his act and sat scores were in high school, b/c i know that it is hard to get into UT, and i would like to know just how many times this guy attended class and what is gpa is in school,
BOOMER SOONER.
until next time.......

GRAMMAR sir... GRAMMAR... and why does it have to be 'gangsta' talk. proper vernacular says that its urban ebonics, not gangsta... but of course you already knew that...

PPHSfan
01-17-2006, 12:09 AM
If I concede that Rhett Bomar will be the number one NFL draft pick in 2009 will you give Vinnie some props?:p

Phil C
01-17-2006, 09:15 AM
Chief I think Vince is great. I think he will adjust to the pros and be worth one super bowl win in his career if the team that drafts him builds wisely around him. That is why I hope the Texans draft him. But really any team that drafts Reggie or Leinart will have a great player. White will be great for any team and I hope he is available when the Cowboys draft him.
In the future I look for AP and Bomar to be drafted high and have good pro careers.

Phil C
01-17-2006, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by football4life
Why do we even reply to this guys posts? He's ridiculous...:rolleyes:

Everybody has a right to their opinions football as long as we can disagree without being disagreeable this sparks interesting debate and analysis. Even I have difficulty trying to convince some of the posters that women's soccer is wonderful, and why Dawn at Socorro is a great movie, and why they should love me and (etc.). :)

hata_hurta06
01-17-2006, 09:41 AM
V.Y. is great!!

Old Tiger
01-17-2006, 10:05 AM
come on now guys, you all are really funny, do any of you ut fans think that ya'll can teach VY how to speak correctly he really embarrased the university,
the funny thing is that when i walked into work the day after they won the title the first thing that was said about that game was how bad VY's grammer is and how he talks like he is in the hood w/ all of his boys, i think it's pretty funny b/c it's bringing down the university
that really meant alot what that person said b/c they watched the game but the first thing they said was about VY's speech. it's sadly funny,
he really needs to get his degree in SPEECH COMMUNICATIONS.
BOOMER SOONER,
until next time................ You don't have to talk well when your making millions in the NFL. What he does to the University is nothing compared to that of Marcus Vick or Maurice Clarrett has done to their respective universities. So go on somewhere and quit being a sore loser.

mustang04
01-17-2006, 10:35 AM
brother,
BOOMER SOONER.
until next time.......
boomer CHOKERS is more like it....oh, and it IS ebonics the way VY talks, and they are actually making that a language course in several schools, so um, i see no problem w/ how he talks, i would rather have the worst grammar in the world than be a boomer sooner, i guess those OK boys have grammar down huh? oh wait, i forgot, over 80% of OU's players are from Texas....hmmmmmm:thinking:

Old Tiger
01-17-2006, 10:37 AM
:D :clap: :cool:

Maroon87
01-17-2006, 10:42 AM
brother,
BOOMER SOONER.
until next time.......

I guess when all else fails, pull out the "bad grammar-ACT-SAT scores-GPA" card. Yeah he's really bringing down the university...they're only the reigning national champions in baseball AND football. They've really fallen on hard times...:rolleyes:

Old Tiger
01-17-2006, 10:54 AM
I don't remember a verbal on the ACT/SAT

vet93
01-17-2006, 11:24 AM
To seriously answer the question...Yes...I do think that Vince Young is being overhyped. Just like I thought that the USC team that he dismantled was over-hyped. Vince performed one of the most amazing, one person, performances that I have ever witnessed in a big game. However, his dismantling of USC's defense that was ranked in the mid sixties in the country does not mean that he can start off doing the same thing to pro defenses and their coaching staffs. The players and schemes that Vince saw from USC will pale in comparison to what he will see in the NFL. I do however, believe that Vince has the skills to make it as a good pro quarterback in the mold of a Randall Cunningham. He is a better athlete than Cunningham...so his success could be greater. It will take 3 to 4 years for Vince to get to the level that he needs to be to compete consistently....the secret is not to jump off of the Vince bandwagon too soon before he has a chance to prove himself. That is another thing that the media does....overhype....and then tear apart....Let's let Vince be Vince and give him time to develop into the quarterback that he can be.....and to Big Chief......Gigem Aggies and Hookem Horns!