PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Closer at Stephen F. Austin

AP Panther Fan
01-16-2006, 12:08 PM
Lumberjacks conduct first practice in 11 years.

Jan. 13, 2006

NACOGDOCHES, Texas - Excitement is surrounding the Stephen F. Austin Lumberjack baseball team as 36 players have reported back to campus to open preseason practice for the first time in 11 years. The Lumberjacks will begin competing in the Southland Conference this season.

SFA skipper Donnie Watson was hired to revitalize the program from its hibernation and has brought in a class that consists of 15 high school standouts, 20 junior college transfers and one NCAA Division I transfer. Watson completed his staff by hiring Johnny Cardenas, Chris Connally and Stu Musick.

The Lumberjacks will play all of their home games at the Nacogdoches City Park field. It is located on the northwest loop, across from the Nacogdoches Expo Center.

Fans can get their first look at the Lumberjack baseball team Friday Jan. 20, when SFA hosts `Meet the Lumberjacks & Ladyjacks' in the Grand Ballroom at 6 p.m., on campus. Fans will have the opportunity to meet the SFA coaches and players and sign autographs, as well as have a traditional baseball meal (hot dogs and apple pie). J.J. Gottsch, President of the Houston Astros' AA affiliate Corpus Christi Hooks will be the guest speaker. Tickets are $10 and can be purchased at any area banks, or at the door. The weekend will conclude with the SFA Alumni game at 11 a.m., and the `Jacks Purple-White game to follow at 1 p.m.

The Lumberjacks kick off the 2006 season on Friday Feb. 3, when they open a three-game series against Arkansas-Little Rock at 2 p.m., in Nacogdoches. The `Jacks open Southland Conference play on Friday Mar. 3, when they host Texas State.

JasperDog94
01-16-2006, 05:49 PM
It's about time!:clap: :clap: :clap:

3afan
01-16-2006, 08:26 PM
but, they wont ever have a successful program as long as they are playing in a city park

AggieJohn
01-17-2006, 10:11 AM
i guess the islanders will have someone else to roll on in 06

3afan
01-17-2006, 10:17 AM
TAMUCC was only 31-21-1 last year against a less than stellar D-I schedule ... so they didnt roll too much :p

hata_hurta06
01-17-2006, 10:18 AM
:clap: