PDA

View Full Version : UT #1 scoring team of all time...

Gobbla2001
01-15-2006, 12:46 PM
Pulled this off of another board, panther_power, so don't come after my head on this thread...

The main reason of posting this is to prove that Vince Young wasn't really the whole team, a lot of players scored this year for UT, over 20 of them...

-----

Making a point
Thomas Stepp, Texas Media Relations

With all of the discussion of what offense is the best in NCAA history and why, one simple truth to the game of football remains -- the team with the most points at the end of the game wins.

That in itself is not a determinant of the greatest "offense" because points are also created by defense and special teams, as well, and that is one of the main reasons the 2005 Texas Longhorns claimed the school's fourth National Championship -- more than anything else, they reached their goal as a team with all units contributing.

When all was said and done in Pasadena on January 4, the Longhorns had scored more points in a season than any team in NCAA history. The count finished at 652, breaking the mark of 624 that stood for 22 years and was set by Nebraska in 1983.

Their average of 50.2 points per game was best in the nation, and it marks only the fifth time in NCAA history a team has finished the season averaging over 50 points per game. The other teams include 1944 Army (56.0), 1983 Nebraska (52.0), 1989 Houston (53.5) and 1995 Nebraska (52.4).

Texas reached the 40-point mark 12 times in 13 games this season, including the last 11 in a row, coming up short only at No. 4 Ohio State. No other team in the nation reached it more than nine times. UT also broke the 50-point plateau seven times, scored more than 60 points on four occasions and added an exclamation with 70 points in two and a half quarters in the Big 12 Championship.

Michael Huff, Rod Wright, Cedric Griffin, Frank Okam, Aaron Ross and Brandon Foster all play on defense or special teams, and all found the end zone this season. In total, 21 different Longhorns scored at least one touchdown with another three registering points through the kicking game, including David Pino, who set a new UT kick scoring record with 113 points.

In the return game, Ross tied the UT record for punt return touchdowns in a season with two. And although Michael Griffin did not score himself, his four punt blocks cannot be forgotten, as two were recovered for touchdowns.

On offense, the versatile Ramonce Taylor scored 15 TDs, followed by Jamaal Charles with 13, Vince Young with 12, Henry Melton with 10 and Selvin Young with eight. Vince Young's 26 passing touchdowns were distributed to 10 different players with Billy Pittman, Limas Sweed and David Thomas each catching five.

All three units made significant contributions, and through quick strikes produced by a combination of explosive plays on offense and excellent field position provided by the defense and special teams, Texas scored at an unparalleled rate, reaching the end zone in one play 10 times and in four plays or fewer 31 times.

If anything describes the 2005 Longhorns, team is the word. It showed on and off the field, was evident in the locker room, and the results were reflected in the scoreboard.

HighSchool Fan
01-15-2006, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
Pulled this off of another board, panther_power, so don't come after my head on this thread...

i'm glad you did that, i don't wanna see anyone get sued here.

District303aPastPlayer
01-15-2006, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
i'm glad you did that, i don't wanna see anyone get sued here.

heaven forbid we provide info to others....

on a side note, how long before ohare comes in here and comes up with a reason why this is a fluke.

Gobbla2001
01-15-2006, 12:53 PM
HSF - I'm trying my best to deal with the new restrictions placed on us by flower_power, thank you for noticing my efforts...

D303APP - Let Ohera come on here with his sour grapes... Every time he brings up some BS reason why we shouldn't feel proud of those Texans who brought home a title, post a picture of 'em with the trophy... that's the last word and the one that matters...