PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here switch to Vonage or Time-Warner phone?

SintonFan
01-14-2006, 02:00 AM
I'm curious as I am now dis-enchanted with SBC/AT&T. The service is cheaper from ads but is it as good? Any response would be appreciated.

Snyder_TigerFan
01-14-2006, 02:02 AM
I have my phone through cox, which should be about the same as Time-Warner, and I haven't had any problems.

SintonFan
01-14-2006, 02:04 AM
Is it as clear as a regular phone line? Does it slow down your connection if you use the phone at the same time? Thanks for any response.

MARLINDOGS
01-14-2006, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan
Is it as clear as a regular phone line? Does it slow down your connection if you use the phone at the same time? Thanks for any response. I have a friend that has SBC and he has had it for years.He really likes it.

PPHSfan
01-14-2006, 08:33 AM
I have used a broadband phone for almost two years. I love it.

Snyder_TigerFan
01-14-2006, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan
Is it as clear as a regular phone line? Does it slow down your connection if you use the phone at the same time? Thanks for any response.

No difference what so ever, as far as I can tell. Seems like a regular phone line. I haven't ever noticed a slow down whenever someone is on the phone.

Ranger Mom
01-14-2006, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Snyder_TigerFan
No difference what so ever, as far as I can tell. Seems like a regular phone line. I haven't ever noticed a slow down whenever someone is on the phone.

People still use their house phones??? LOL

I cannot tell you the last time I talked on my home phone and I have two lines. One for my computer and one for Ranger Rebel's.

If ever I get something other than dialup, I will keep the main number with caller ID only on it and drop to the very basic of service.

Old Green
01-14-2006, 08:47 PM
Did they ever fix the Broadband emergency service feature? Some of the Broadband could not be intergrated into the 911 system.

TexasHSFootball
01-14-2006, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by Old Green
Did they ever fix the Broadband emergency service feature? Some of the Broadband could not be intergrated into the 911 system.

If you are on Vonage, they use your billing address to program the phone to route to the nearest 911 control center. Each time you move you have to give them that information.

Rabbit'93
01-15-2006, 02:32 PM
There are actually 3 different type of voice out there. regular tip and ring like SBC. Digital over broadband(cable), and VOIP like vonage.

Both SBC and Digital phone are the old switch technology. Basically the same design with Digital being put out over coax rather than twisted pair. VOIP is completely internet based. Everything seems to be headed this way. Even TV. Why do you think all the telcos are getting into the TV game. regular phone is slowly going away.

For my $$$ I would go with VOIP, but not with Vonage. I would see if TW phone is Digital or VOIP. With Vonage, if you ever have trouble you get into the it's your internet carrier, or it's vonage's problem. At least if you go with TW you have a one call to fix.

I work in the industry so if you have any other ??? feel free to ask.

SintonFan_inAustin
01-15-2006, 03:20 PM
just got time warner and got roadrunner and for 35.00 more i can get unlimited long distance in texas if i get there phone service, might go with time warner

mwynn05
01-15-2006, 04:07 PM
it looks long distance calling is about to be almost obsolete