PDA

View Full Version : Folks Toast Lifting Of Alcohol Ban After 131 Years!!!

ILS1
01-13-2006, 10:26 PM
WESTERVILLE, Ohio (AP) -- The central Ohio city of Westerville, once known as the "dry capital of the world," is dry no more.

A pizza parlor on Thursday became the first establishment in Westerville's uptown business district to legally serve a beer since 1875.

"Here's to a new tradition in Westerville," local jeweler Bill Morgan said as he raised his plastic cup of Budweiser at Michael's Pizza.

Westerville's temperance history dates back 131 years, when the town's saloon was blown up during what's known as the "Whiskey Wars."

The Anti-Saloon League moved its headquarters to Westerville in 1909, and the city became known as the "dry capital of the world."

Business and city leaders pushed for the serving of alcohol in uptown establishments as a way to compete with restaurants and bars at two new retail developments near the Columbus suburb.

Voters on November 8 approved licenses for beer and wine to be sold at Michael's Pizza and Pasquale's Pizza & Pasta, whose owner plans to start serving libations February 1.

The night of the election, Michael's Pizza owner Michael Evans said he would auction off the first beer, with the proceeds going to a local ministry.

Morgan, whose family has lived in Westerville for four generations, topped five other bidders to win the beer for $150.

"My dad said it would never happen," Morgan, 51, said as he prepared to drink the beer.

Voters in a portion of Westerville approved licenses to sell alcohol in 1998, but uptown had remained dry.

Story Link (www.cnn.com/2006/US/01/13/beer.ban.ap/index.html)

SWMustang
01-13-2006, 10:39 PM
you still can't buy a beer at a restaurant in Sweetwater...

District303aPastPlayer
01-14-2006, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by SWMustang

you cant buy beer at a restaurant in sinton

you cant buy beer, PERIOD, in odem

mrescape43
01-14-2006, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by SWMustang

Is Swater wet for off site drinking only?

AggieJohn
01-14-2006, 03:26 AM
wow....that's a long time with no booze

MARLINDOGS
01-14-2006, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
wow....that's a long time with no booze I bet they have been getting there booze somewhere.

DU_stud04
01-14-2006, 08:33 AM
horrrrayyyy beer!

SWMustang
01-14-2006, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by mrescape43
Is Swater wet for off site drinking only?

You can drink a beer at the country club - or at the Holiday inn bar. You have to buy a membership at holiday inn if you want to do that though. When I was a kid back in the early 80's you couldn't even buy beer at the grocery store.

mrescape43
01-14-2006, 05:10 PM
I remember when Swater was voted wet. I didn't realize that it was off site only because about the only place I make a trip to Swater to eat is Ms Allens. That is some terrific food. Especially Saturday when they have meat loaf.

piratebg
01-14-2006, 06:55 PM
So how many drunks do you think they will catch on the first night? You know that there will be a couple of guys doing a little too much celebrating. CHEERS!!!

STANG RED
01-14-2006, 07:14 PM
I remember when Swater was voted wet. I didn't realize that it was off site only because about the only place I make a trip to Swater to eat is Ms Allens. That is some terrific food. Especially Saturday when they have meat loaf.

Ms Allens is open at nights now! Same great food, and they have even added a few things. Its been open nights now for about 3 or 4 weeks.
If any of you guys find yourself coming through Sweetwater, you have to stop at Ms. Allens. Its actually "Allens Family Style Meals" now. All the locals still call it Mrs. Allens though. Your own mamma has to be a great cook, if its better than what you get at Mrs. Allens.

mrescape43
01-14-2006, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Ms Allens is open at nights now! Same great food, and they have even added a few things. Its been open nights now for about 3 or 4 weeks.
If any of you guys find yourself coming through Sweetwater, you have to stop at Ms. Allens. Its actually "Allens Family Style Meals" now. All the locals still call it Mrs. Allens though. Your own mamma has to be a great cook, if its better than what you get at Mrs. Allens.

What nights are they open? What hours?

STANG RED
01-14-2006, 07:32 PM

I'll call and see and let you know. I'm curious myself.

STANG RED
01-14-2006, 07:38 PM

5 pm till 8 pm, Tuesday thru Saturday.
You even have time to make it from Snyder tonight.

mrescape43
01-14-2006, 07:42 PM
I'll call and see and let you know. I'm curious myself.

Thanks!

STANG RED
01-14-2006, 08:04 PM
Thanks!

No problem. Now you owe me a Ms. Allens meal, next time you come over.

mrescape43
01-14-2006, 08:08 PM
No problem. Now you owe me a Ms. Allens meal, next time you come over.

NP