PDA

View Full Version : Legal Question

HighSchool Fan
01-12-2006, 08:02 PM
has anyone ever heard of someone getting sued because of someone posting something on a message board like this one? or even the message board itself being held responsible for what is typed on it? i don't want to hear that it can happen, i wanna know if someone has seen it happen

Bullaholic
01-12-2006, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
has anyone ever heard of someone getting sued because of someone posting something on a message board like this one? or even the message board itself being held responsible for what is typed on it? i don't want to hear that it can happen, i wanna know if someone has seen it happen

PM Shankbear, HSF...he may be able to tell you.

Ranger Mom
01-12-2006, 08:04 PM
I remember a couple of years back someone threatening to sue Jason, I think it was.

lepfan
01-12-2006, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I remember a couple of years back someone threatening to sue Jason, I think it was. Imagine that:rolleyes: I wouldn't think he would say anything to ruffle any feathers ;) :)

injuredinmelee
01-12-2006, 08:46 PM
I dont know if it has ever happened but I can see where the content of the board could be considered slanderous or defaming. It would be hard to prove that it affected you negatively enough to prove or warrant libel.
See I really do know everything. lol
:nerd: :nerd: :nerd:

HighSchool Fan
01-12-2006, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee

See I really do know everything. lol
:nerd: :nerd: :nerd:

was there really ever any doubt

injuredinmelee
01-12-2006, 08:49 PM
actually here is a link or two :http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,42039,00.html

http://www.law.com/jsp/article.jsp?id=1136384634864

shankbear
HSF, I read an article today about a guy suing some other guys in a chat room because they were making his life a living hell. It was an AOL Older Mens...hangout. Here's the link.

http://www.courttv.com/news/2006/0112/chatroom_suit_ctv.html

If they knew him and they knew that he was offended and still continued, then there might be something that some ambulance chasing, whiny butt lawyer would pursue. Not me.

injuredinmelee
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
was there really ever any doubt

Not on this end.... lol
:kiss:

44INAROW
01-12-2006, 08:56 PM
Just a little FYI - in case anyone is concerned about being "suspected or accused of slander", there is an endorsement that can be added to your Homeowner's Insurance Policy (not available to all companies, so check with your agent) called the "Personal Injury Endorsement HO 201". (Not to be confused with any type of actual physical injury/damage, it is strictly civil) It is also known as the SLANDER/MALICIOUS PROSECUTION endorsement. it usually costs about $11 dollars a year and addresses a variety of situations. Generally the endorsment/policy would pay for the legal defense fees. Might be worth a phone call to your local agent.

**of course the coverage would have to be in place BEFORE the alleged offense occurs..

SintonFan
01-12-2006, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
Just a little FYI - in case anyone is concerned about being "suspected or accused of slander", there is an endorsement that can be added to your Homeowner's Insurance Policy (not available to all companies, so check with your agent) called the "Personal Injury Endorsement HO 201". (Not to be confused with any type of actual physical injury/damage, it is strictly civil) It is also known as the SLANDER/MALICIOUS PROSECUTION endorsement. it usually costs about $11 dollars a year and addresses a variety of situations. Generally the endorsment/policy would pay for the legal defense fees. Might be worth a phone call to your local agent.

**of course the coverage would have to be in place BEFORE the alleged offense occurs..
Sweet! Look that up for me.:D

CHS_CG
01-12-2006, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan

You men are so lazy, look it up yourself!

SintonFan
01-12-2006, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by CHS_CG
You men are so lazy, look it up yourself!
Are you my insurance agent????? :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

CHS_CG
01-12-2006, 09:35 PM
Are you my insurance agent????? :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

heck no! I dont wanna deal with that bunk crap!

44INAROW
01-12-2006, 09:46 PM

PM or email me what carrier you are with,, I can find out what you need with that info I think :)

SintonFan
01-12-2006, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
PM or email me what carrier you are with,, I can find out what you need with that info I think :)
44, I'm gonna change(insurances) this week if I can hep it...;)
You need picks and all? And the rest of the pertinent info? I'll email you some or all by Sunday.

44INAROW
01-12-2006, 11:57 PM
Email me the info...... We are taking Monday off but I'll be "reachable" by email...... :)

3afan
01-13-2006, 07:43 AM
i've never heard of that happening .........

HighSchool Fan
01-13-2006, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
i've never heard of that happening .........

i haven't either, but you hear people say stuff like that and i think it's kind of funny.

STANG RED
01-13-2006, 07:56 AM
If you have money, and enough people know about it, someone is going to try and get their mitts on some of it. If they know you are insured for it, it might even give them that much more incentive to come after you.
Personally, I have a wife and a daughter. Therefore, I have no extra money laying around.