PDA

View Full Version : Kinne goin from Canton to Baylor

hornfan
01-12-2006, 07:36 PM
announced this afternoon...

Link (http://baylorbears.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/011206aab.html)

SnyTigBaseB07
01-12-2006, 07:38 PM
Hmm.....i'm hoping he'll add some direly needed new blood to the Bears, i'm looking for a great season next year.

Sic Em Bears

injuredinmelee
01-12-2006, 07:45 PM
wasnt his boy just a jr? What are his plans for next season? Good way to recruit the kid for down the road also. Not saying that is what Baylor is doing but it sure doesnt hurt. It doesnt always work however look at Briles and Texas Tech and his kid went to UT until Art took the UH job.

c-town_balla
01-12-2006, 09:16 PM
Just hope he dosen't go to Connlly Lorena or Robinson....for Reg. 3 sake

sahen
01-12-2006, 09:35 PM
good hire for the bears...hopefully this will help w/ recruiting....sic'em!

hornfan
01-13-2006, 12:28 AM
logically midway would probably be the most likely place for kinne to go to school if he come to waco and does not stay in canton

3afan
01-13-2006, 07:28 AM
Canton coach returns to Baylor as assistant
Kinne overcame gunshot wound in '05, led team to best season

08:42 PM CST on Thursday, January 12, 2006
By MATT WIXON / The Dallas Morning News

Gary Joe Kinne, who recovered from a gunshot wound last year to coach the Canton football team to its best season, is heading back to his alma mater.

Baylor has hired him as its linebackers coach, Kinne said Thursday. He expects to start his new job in the next two weeks.

"I wouldn't have left Canton for any high school job," Kinne said. "I've got a lot invested here and the people have been great to me. But it's just that I have the opportunity to go back to my alma mater, and I've always wanted to be a college coach."

Kinne was a star linebacker at North Mesquite before playing for Baylor from 1986 to '89. He was an assistant at Mesquite before taking the Canton job in the summer of 2003.

Kinne's three-season record at Canton was 28-8, including last season's 12-2 team that won Canton's first district title since 1961 and advanced to the Class 3A Division II Region II final.

Kinne was shot in the stomach in April in front of the school's field house by an irate parent, police say. But he missed only one game during the season, despite suffering from liver complications that led to a return to the hospital.

Kinne's son, G.J., has been the Canton quarterback the last three seasons. The junior threw for 3,859 yards and 41 touchdowns and ran for 847 yards and 15 touchdowns last season. He was named The Associated Press 3A Offensive Player of the Year.

Kinne said he isn't sure yet if G.J. will stay at Canton for his senior year. He also said that his new job doesn't ensure that G.J., expected to be one of the state's top quarterbacks next season, will sign with Baylor. G.J. said last month that Texas, Alabama, Miami and Baylor are his top choices.

"I've told G.J. many times that I picked the school that was right for me and he needs to pick the school that's right for him," Kinne said.

E-mail mwixon@dallasnews.com

sicem74
01-13-2006, 10:04 AM
sweet

BU97
01-18-2006, 04:07 PM
The question is does Coach lose his job if G.J. goes somewhere else?

Txbroadcaster
01-18-2006, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by BU97
The question is does Coach lose his job if G.J. goes somewhere else?

No because this was not a we want your son so we are hiring you. Coach Kinne is a Baylor Alum, and has always wanted to go back there eventually

lostaussie
01-18-2006, 05:26 PM
some sense of , shall i say "class" may return to canton. i hope the kid stays. tremendous talent. as for dad, see ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BU97
01-18-2006, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
No because this was not a we want your son so we are hiring you. Coach Kinne is a Baylor Alum, and has always wanted to go back there eventually

I know, poor attempt at a joke. I remember when he played LB for the bears.

Txbroadcaster
01-18-2006, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by lostaussie
some sense of , shall i say "class" may return to canton. i hope the kid stays. tremendous talent. as for dad, see ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Because Canton was not on the map before Kinne, people tend to think he brought the bad attitude. He did not. Canton has always had a certain degree of bad attitudes on the football field, but because they were going 3-7 and such people did not notice.

lostaussie
01-18-2006, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Because Canton was not on the map before Kinne, people tend to think he brought the bad attitude. He did not. Canton has always had a certain degree of bad attitudes on the football field, but because they were going 3-7 and such people did not notice. a good football coach stops what i saw on two occasions, before it ever starts.

hornfan
01-18-2006, 11:34 PM
i think baylor has to be the frontrunner now that McElroy is headed to Bama apparently one of Kinne's top choice.

sahen
01-19-2006, 02:57 AM
some kids dont want to go to college where their parents r...so we will see...one good thing if he wants to get away from his dad he wont be coaching him directly being his dad is the linebackers coach.....hopefully he will come to baylor we need a good QB...

BU97
01-19-2006, 11:34 AM
I hope that we get GJ too.