PDA

View Full Version : When will the madness end (Corpus CHristi)

pirate44
01-12-2006, 07:10 AM
Corpus Christi Tony Roma's closes it's doors wednesday.
The "Famous for Ribs" restaurant is the most recent of several local restaurants to shut down since the New Year. Crystal's Bar and Confectionery, Harvey's Barn Door Sports Bar, The Black-eyed Pea and Gaetano's Ristorante have closed indefinitely since Jan. 1.

i guess the fact im dieting and i have stopped going out to eat has really taken a toll on Corpus Christi restaurants :(

Rabbit'93
01-12-2006, 07:17 AM
The TR's in Mesquite(near Dallas) closed as well.

3afan
01-12-2006, 07:19 AM
the one in Mesquite did? wow, didnt know that. i think i only ate there once since it opened.

pirate44
01-12-2006, 07:23 AM
from what i have read, a "Logan's Roadhouse" will open in its place. i looked on their website and it looks identical to Texas Roadhouse. peanut shells on the floor and all. WE DONT NEED ANOTHER TEXAS ROADHOUSE!! :rolleyes: :mad:

Go Cuero
01-12-2006, 07:41 AM
Tony Roma's closed here months ago and Serrano's went in.

Maroon87
01-12-2006, 07:58 AM
Harvey's Barn Door and Crystal Confectionary both closed? Man...those had been around forever. That's sad...:(

piratebg
01-12-2006, 08:18 AM
I can't believe Tony Romas did not renew their lease. That was some good eating. All I know is that we better not lose the Olive Garden, Macarroni Grill, Hooters, Chilis, or the Whataburger on Ocean Drive.

pirate44
01-12-2006, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by piratebg
I can't believe Tony Romas did not renew their lease. That was some good eating. All I know is that we better not lose the Olive Garden, Macarroni Grill, Hooters, Chilis, or the Whataburger on Ocean Drive.
it would not kill me if OG, Hooters or chilis closed down. IMO just a waste of real estate

piratebg
01-12-2006, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by pirate44
it would not kill me if OG, Hooters or chilis closed down. IMO just a waste of real estate

The misses and I love the OG to death. I like to take my sons to Hooters because I love to watch my 3yo flirt with the wait staff.....he's really good, too. Oh, and I forgot to mention K-Bobs. I would go crazy without their chicken fried steak and salad wagon.

piratebg
01-12-2006, 08:27 AM
Speaking of chicken fried steak, is Freddy's still open in Sinton? My family and I went by twice now early in the evening and they have been closed.

pirate44
01-12-2006, 08:29 AM
The misses and I love the OG to death. I like to take my sons to Hooters because I love to watch my 3yo flirt with the wait staff.....he's really good, too. Oh, and I forgot to mention K-Bobs. I would go crazy without their chicken fried steak and salad wagon.
we've had a few bad episodes at k-bobs. we dont go there anymore.

piratebg
01-12-2006, 08:31 AM
Do bad things always follow you when you eat out or something?

pirate44
01-12-2006, 08:34 AM
Do bad things always follow you when you eat out or something?
in what way?

piratebg
01-12-2006, 08:36 AM
Bad service, uncooked food, long waits, dirty plates/utensils,...it just sounded like you had a beef with several restaurants and I figured something had to have happened at each one.

pirate44
01-12-2006, 08:42 AM
Bad service, uncooked food, long waits, dirty plates/utensils,...it just sounded like you had a beef with several restaurants and I figured something had to have happened at each one.
i dont have to have a beef with restaurants to have an opinion. most the times i just place them low on my list of places i prefer to spend money at.
ive had bad service once at Mama Mia's, yet its my favorite place in the world to eat. i've had uncooked food at TGIFridays, but i dont mind eating there every once in a while. Dirty plates and utensils at a local Sinton eatery, but its one of my favorites. long waits at..well, lets just say, if it's good, there will be long waits.

Ranger354
01-12-2006, 09:17 AM
Freddy's closed from what I heard. Every time we ate there in the past year the whole family got a good gut cleaning. I heard they lost their license to sell beer.

K-bobs, the Stomach (Butter) Churn, The Roadhouse near Violet. All these places serve grease to go.

I love Tasty Taco, but have you ever look at the ceiling? Los Comales in Rockport is fantastic also!

htowntransplant
01-12-2006, 09:29 AM
tony romas?? my fiancee is going to be sad now...

District303aPastPlayer
01-12-2006, 09:50 AM
where the heck have you been... and as long as chilis stays... im good

pirate44
01-12-2006, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by Ranger354
Freddy's closed from what I heard. Every time we ate there in the past year the whole family got a good gut cleaning. I heard they lost their license to sell beer.

K-bobs, the Stomach (Butter) Churn, The Roadhouse near Violet. All these places serve grease to go.

I love Tasty Taco, but have you ever look at the ceiling? Los Comales in Rockport is fantastic also!
that place is a landmark. im suprised i havent heard of it closing either :(

piratebg
01-12-2006, 10:05 AM
This is a first time I hear about this too. That sucks.

pirate4state
01-12-2006, 10:07 AM
Over the holidays I had heard that Freddie's had closed, but I didn't believe it. Now I know it is gone for good. Never cared for the place anyway.

sinton66
01-12-2006, 10:08 AM

If you like OG, you should try Portabella on SPID at Old Brownsville next to the Harley dealership. Food is better IMO, and prices are slightly better too.

District303aPastPlayer
01-12-2006, 10:08 AM
those ladies always went to HEB and bought stuff for the place, havent been in recently... makes sense now

pirate44
01-12-2006, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by sinton66
If you like OG, you should try Portabella on SPID at Old Brownsville next to the Harley dealership. Food is better IMO, and prices are slightly better too.
i was curious about that place. i did some contract work on their architectural drawings for a little money on the side some time ago. by the way, how bout that salsa at Costanita? :D

District303aPastPlayer
01-12-2006, 10:19 AM
give me Kikos any day of the week

AggieJohn
01-12-2006, 10:20 AM
still don't know why bennigans closed...

District303aPastPlayer
01-12-2006, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by AggieJohn

no business

piratebg
01-12-2006, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by sinton66

Thanks for the tip. Might have to try it out this weekend.

piratebg
01-12-2006, 10:23 AM
I wasn't impressed with Bennigans. Too pricy also.

pirate44
01-12-2006, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
by the time people parked and got out of their car, they realized they were hungry for pancakes and went next door to IHOP instead.

44INAROW
01-12-2006, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by Ranger354
Los Comales in Rockport is fantastic also!

Is that the place by the lumber yard? My husband talks about it all the time. He and his fishing buddies eat there and said it is great.

cheatchu
01-12-2006, 10:31 AM
Tony Romas seems to be closing everywhere, The one in Waco closed a about 2 months ago.

pirate44
01-12-2006, 10:42 AM
i went to the Tony Romas on the riverwalk and to my suprise, the one in Corpus Christi was a lot better

piratebg
01-12-2006, 10:55 AM
The first I went to was in Waco. I have also been to one in Laredo and Corpus Christi. RIP Tony Romas

Maroon87
01-12-2006, 11:07 AM
I used to live near a Tony Roma's in San Antonio. My waistline has yet to totally forgive me...;)

SintonFan
01-12-2006, 12:22 PM
from what i have read, a "Logan's Roadhouse" will open in its place. i looked on their website and it looks identical to Texas Roadhouse. peanut shells on the floor and all. WE DONT NEED ANOTHER TEXAS ROADHOUSE!! :rolleyes: :mad:
Logan's is a subsidiary of Cracker Barrel. They have been around longer than Texas Roadhouse I think. On average Texas Roadhouse is a superior product compared to Logan's. The only way Logan's will succeed is because it has a great location.

District303aPastPlayer
01-12-2006, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
Logan's is a subsidiary of Cracker Barrel. They have been around longer than Texas Roadhouse I think. On average Texas Roadhouse is a superior product compared to Logan's. The only way Logan's will succeed is because it has a great location.

someone from Cuero help me out. Is this where everyone ate after the Liberty Hill game in Buda this year? If so... its not THAT great...

sinfan75
01-12-2006, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
those ladies always went to HEB and bought stuff for the place, havent been in recently... makes sense now yeah they closed because the owner couldn't pay his bill which was why the girls were havin to go to HEB to get stuff. his electricity got shut off one day. Just poor management. Heard someone was wantin to buy it and open it back up.

piratebg
01-12-2006, 01:08 PM
We can only pray someone does and returns it to it's old glory.

pirate44
01-12-2006, 01:20 PM
We can only pray someone does and returns it to it's old glory.
aaaaah, the good ol days. those bugers that made the paper sack saturated in grease.

AP Panther Fan
01-12-2006, 01:42 PM
aaaaah, the good ol days. those bugers that made the paper sack saturated in grease.

lol...nothing better than a cheesy greaseburger!;)

I loved the potato soup at Tony Roma's with the bacon, cheese and chives in it!

With all of the restaurants closing in Corpus, it has me wondering "what gives". Is it our local economy, a business management decision or what? I can understand the Crystal Confectionary closing, I always thought their location was crummy. But the Black-Eyed Pea and Tony Roma's were in excellent locations on S.P.I.D. Maybe there are too many restaurants on that highway, but you certainly wouldn't think so by the lengths of the lines to get in. :thinking:

I also, would be devasted if Texas Roadhouse, Olive Garden or Macaroni Grill closed.;)

Bull Butter
01-12-2006, 03:37 PM
Just tell me Vernon's hasn't closed

Maroon87
01-12-2006, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Bull Butter
Just tell me Vernon's hasn't closed

Now THAT would be a tragedy!:(

pirate44
01-12-2006, 04:15 PM
where is Vernon's?

Stretch04
01-12-2006, 04:32 PM
Blackbeards is still the best place to eat in CC

Maroon87
01-12-2006, 04:34 PM
where is Vernon's?

It's right across from Gaslight Square, about a block from the old Cantina Santa Fe. It looks like a big red barn.

pirate44
01-12-2006, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
It's right across from Gaslight Square, about a block from the old Cantina Santa Fe. It looks like a big red barn.
oh, ok. not far from Gaetanos that closed last week.