PDA

View Full Version : New Orleans

turbostud
01-11-2006, 02:16 PM
I was in New Orleans yesterday and it is truly a huge pile of garbage. I saw the 9th Ward, New Orleans East, and Slidell and they look like a war zone. The French Quarter and Bourbon St. are dong fine in case anyone was worried. I lived in New Orleans for 2 years in the 90's and its amazing to go back see that there is not much left. Its going to be a long long time before that city recovers. I took some pics I cant post when I get home. I dont see anyway the Saints will play in New Orleans next year. There are no people to support them.

A T shirt that they are selling on Bourbon St. reads
"I stayed in New Orleans for Katrina and all I got was this lousy shirt, a new cadillac, and a plasma TV."

kaorder1999
01-11-2006, 02:17 PM
everytime i hear the 9th ward I automatically think of a prison!

injuredinmelee
01-11-2006, 02:20 PM
"I stayed in New Orleans for Katrina and all I got was this lousy shirt, a new cadillac, and a plasma TV."
Oh I want one of those.

turbostud
01-11-2006, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
everytime i hear the 9th ward I automatically think of a prison!
I actually had some beers at a bar called BJ's that was open in the 9th Ward. They had electricty but no running water. It used to be a rough place. When I lived in NO they had a murder pool at every bar. You put some some money in the pot and guessed what the murder count would be at the end of the year. That year there were 387 murders.

shankbear
01-11-2006, 03:22 PM
It is a vast waste of money to try to repair that pitiful slimy city. The criminals run rampant and control everything......oh wait...that is the gang at the New Orleans City Hall. Pump the mud into that sinking quagmire and get it up to sea level before attempting to rebuild. That should take a few decades. Just flush that cash and rebuild.

DaHop72
01-11-2006, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by shankbear
It is a vast waste of money to try to repair that pitiful slimy city. The criminals run rampant and control everything......oh wait...that is the gang at the New Orleans City Hall. Pump the mud into that sinking quagmire and get it up to sea level before attempting to rebuild. That should take a few decades. Just flush that cash and rebuild.
Not a bad idea, shank. When we went through there it had to be one of the most trashy, slimy, nasty, places I had ever been. That was many years ago and a person didn't feel real safe even walking around sightseeing.

Aesculus gilmus
01-11-2006, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by shankbear
It is a vast waste of money to try to repair that pitiful slimy city. The criminals run rampant and control everything......

This could also apply to Washington, D.C.

shankbear
01-11-2006, 04:09 PM
But they can save Cafe DuMonde. The cafe au lait and beignets are great.

SWMustang
01-11-2006, 04:16 PM
As big a dump as we all think it is, there are people who can't imagine living anywhere else. We relocated 6 folks from NO after the hurricane - 2 in San Antonio and 4 in Houston. It's not looking like operations are going to resume anytime soon. They've been given the option to relocate anywhere they want with the assurance that they would first in line to return if and when NO is back up and running. 2 of them would rather leave the company and return to Louisiana without a job.

shankbear
01-11-2006, 04:33 PM
We had dozens in a shelter who never wanted to go back...job or no job. The place was indeed pitiful before Katrina and is worse now. Bulldozers are the answer.

SWMustang
01-11-2006, 04:45 PM
I wondered why all those people who lived in the 9th ward would want to go back. Wouldn't it be better in a nicer newly remodeled Ghetto in a different city, instead of that old school ghetto they were living in?