PDA

View Full Version : Google Earth

Bullaholic
01-11-2006, 12:07 PM
For those of you who haven't tried it---download and install Google Earth. What an incredible ride you will have "zooming" in and actually having a "bird's eye" view of anyplace on earth. You will need a fairly fast PC with plenty of ram and a good video adapter in order to get reasonable performance. This thing has assumed a life of it's own, and they are tying more and more databases to it, including the ability to "zoom" on GPS co-ordinates. The educational and varied uses of this application are phenominal.

DU_stud04
01-11-2006, 12:12 PM
too bad the small towns get jipped in this program.....my friend told me about google earth during the summer and when i tried to find my house in sweetwater all i saw was a big blob.... but other than that this program is amazing

pirate44
01-11-2006, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
too bad the small towns get jipped in this program.....my friend told me about google earth during the summer and when i tried to find my house in sweetwater all i saw was a big blob.... but other than that this program is amazing
Sinton has a low-res image, but i can still find myself spending tons of time looking at other places. SA riverwalk is my fav. to check out on there

Ranger Mom
01-11-2006, 12:48 PM
I was able to find my house, but the satellite pictures must have been fairly old. There was a trampoline in my back yard that hasn't been there for about 3 years!

I have also poured yards of cement and built a patio since those pics were taken.

football4life
01-11-2006, 12:54 PM
We can get a pretty darn good view of Canyon, i actually mapped out how far i had to run in baseball practice the other day. 1.5 miles! sheesh! It's baseball not X country.:rolleyes:

Ranger Mom
01-11-2006, 12:58 PM
COOL!!!!

Look what I found when I googled Midland and just "browsed"!

That just looks awesome to me!

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/KRSimmons/Googlegrande.jpg

Bullaholic
01-11-2006, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I was able to find my house, but the satellite pictures must have been fairly old. There was a trampoline in my back yard that hasn't been there for about 3 years!

I have also poured yards of cement and built a patio since those pics were taken.

Dang RM....maybe they'll update the database and we can get that shot of you sunbathing like Jennifer Anniston does. :D

Ranger Mom
01-11-2006, 01:15 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v255/RangerMom1/myhouse2.jpg
Here is my house....

the blue circle drawn around that black thing is a trampoline that hasn't been there for several years.

The yellow stair stepped box thing is now all concrete patio.

The pink square is a covered patio.

The green circle is around the pool which is now surrounded by a deck and concrete.

We DO have grass in the front and back yards and trees now.

That is how I can tell this satellite image is old!

Oh....and I never realized how "not square" my fence is til I saw thi pic!!:D

Bullaholic
01-11-2006, 01:25 PM
That's good work, RM...did you just start using Google Earth or have you done it before?

Ranger Mom
01-11-2006, 02:08 PM
Jason showed me how to use it this summer!

neck_06
01-11-2006, 02:12 PM
Google Earth is AWESOME!!!!!! i just downloaded it, and i am looking right at my school and my house!