PDA

View Full Version : 3a's that make you go hum.....

Cardinalbb
01-11-2006, 11:31 AM
While traveling back from Colorado this holiday season, I became more aware of the towns with which I was traveling through. Being a newbee on the board, it has been interesting reading about some of your schools and cities.
Went through Sweetwater, at night, and looking at the lights it's a big town! Then I went through Snyder., man! I sneezed and almost missed it... there was no comparison. But I understand there is a big rival with the two. Hutto has a population of 1600, but is 3A and made it to the finals. Taylor....If I remember right....was around 10 times that of Hutto but their in the same district and looking at the size seems as if they would dominate. Liberty Hill....sorry, just saw the road sign, didn't go through it. Can't remember the rest of them, but I traveled through plenty. (Had I known a few of ya'll I would have stopped for dinner.) Alot of these towns though small must be spread out to have the classification of the school. No wonder you guys are good.....there is nothing out there for ya'll to do except play football. My gosh....it's about as sparse as a chicken plate on my dinner table!

Snyder_TigerFan
01-11-2006, 11:40 AM
You probably drove by Snyder on Hwy 84, which takes you along the outskirts. For as long as I've known, Snyder has always been bigger (population wise) and unfortunetly, I had to live in Sweetwater for a few years and I believe Snyder is also bigger (size wise).

Last year I went down to Galveston and I did the same thing. I would see signs for citys that I see on the Downlow and would think to myself "cool...so that's where they're at."

bullfrog_alumni_02
01-11-2006, 12:44 PM
guilty of theses charges aswell.:D

injuredinmelee
01-11-2006, 01:04 PM
it seems like it takes a week to drive past Snyder on 84 which seems to be spead out along the hwy as far as businesses and industries. There are a few homes but it seems like the bulk fo homes is a couple of miles off.

zeus63
01-11-2006, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Snyder_TigerFan
You probably drove by Snyder on Hwy 84, which takes you along the outskirts. For as long as I've known, Snyder has always been bigger (population wise) and unfortunetly, I had to live in Sweetwater for a few years and I believe Snyder is also bigger (size wise).

Last year I went down to Galveston and I did the same thing. I would see signs for citys that I see on the Downlow and would think to myself "cool...so that's where they're at."

You're right, but Sweetwater is spread out pretty good, so it does look bigger.

neck_06
01-11-2006, 02:00 PM
you didn't happen to go through West Columbia did you? if you blinked, you missed it

RBARKER
01-11-2006, 02:07 PM
I do the same thing when I'm out traveling the roads. My Wife thinks I'm nuts when we drive through a town and I tell her what classification the school is and even know the mascot :D

Ranger Mom
01-11-2006, 02:09 PM
If you ever drive through Greenwood..then you are definately off the beaten path!

lostaussie
01-11-2006, 02:11 PM
i'm going to paducah tomorrow quail hunting. long way from gilmer to paducah. i'll get to see lots of 3a towns.

sww-bull52
01-11-2006, 02:12 PM
I drove from Sweetwater to Beaumont on Sunday and then back again yesterday. Got to see alot of towns I had only heard of on the D'Low.

zeus63
01-11-2006, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
If you ever drive through Greenwood..then you are definately off the beaten path!

Yeah, but if you want to see some nice houses and an overall nice little community, then it's worth it.

lepfan
01-11-2006, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by zeus63
Yeah, but if you want to see some nice houses and an overall nice little community, then it's worth it. Not to mention ya might get a meal and visit with RM ;)

BullFrog Dad
01-11-2006, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Cardinalbb
Went through Sweetwater, at night, and looking at the lights it's a big town! You need to check out Lake Worth at night. But we're still a 3A town!!!

STANG RED
01-11-2006, 02:40 PM
He's right. Sweetwater does look big at night when approaching from the east or south. Always has looked alot bigger than it is. Just alot of lights though! Snyder probably has 2000 more population than Sweetwater does, but it does appear to be smaller from the highway.
I've noticed that alot of 3A towns that are near metropolitan areas may only show a population of 1 or 2 thousand, but they tend to have some large housing additions that are outside the city limits that pump alot of kids into their school systems.
I went through Liberty Hill last year, and was surprised at how small it was for a 3A town. In West Texas, a town that size is only a 1A.

Cardinalbb
01-11-2006, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by sww-bull52
I drove from Sweetwater to Beaumont on Sunday and then back again yesterday. Got to see alot of towns I had only heard of on the D'Low.

You were close to alot of area schools if you were in Beaumont. As far a 3a. You were within about 20 miles of Bridge City, Orangefield, West Orange. It is neat to check out some of the towns though. Here we have the coast and alot of inland waters to cruise. What do folks in West Texas do. I didn't see anything. I did see alot of tumbleweeds!!

injuredinmelee
01-11-2006, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by RBARKER
I do the same thing when I'm out traveling the roads. My Wife thinks I'm nuts when we drive through a town and I tell her what classification the school is and even know the mascot :D
My wife is the same way. SHe challenges me everytime and I am ALMOST ALWAYS right. I even try and blurt out the school colors or head coach to rub it in.

sww-bull52
01-11-2006, 04:09 PM
You were close to alot of area schools if you were in Beaumont. As far a 3a. You were within about 20 miles of Bridge City, Orangefield, West Orange. It is neat to check out some of the towns though. Here we have the coast and alot of inland waters to cruise. What do folks in West Texas do. I didn't see anything. I did see alot of tumbleweeds!!

We have tumble weed races on Saturdays!!!!

DaHop72
01-11-2006, 04:16 PM
Take time and stop and spend a day and observe a West Texas sunrise and sunset, and with out the light pollution from bigger towns nearby a beautiful star filled night when they look so bright and close that you can reach up and touch them, then you will appreciate West Texas.

DaHop72
01-11-2006, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by sww-bull52
We have tumble weed races on Saturdays!!!!
And submarine races at Lake Sweetwater and Lake Thomas on any given Sat. night.:D
Well, at least when they have water in them.:(

Ranger Mom
01-11-2006, 05:16 PM
After going to Texas Stadium 2 weekends in a row and fighting that terrible traffic.....give me the wide open roads of West Texas anyday!!!

sww-bull52
01-11-2006, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
After going to Texas Stadium 2 weekends in a row and fighting that terrible traffic.....give me the wide open roads of West Texas anyday!!!

Amen Mom. Just driving thru Houston was enough for me to start drinking again!!!!!

sww-bull52
01-11-2006, 05:27 PM
Hey, I made the JV with that post!!!WOO HOO!!!

Cardinalbb
01-11-2006, 05:32 PM
Amen on the wide open spaces! Each area has pro's and con's. I have to have water so the coast suits me great. I had to laugh though when I read about the tumbleweed races! Hey....we have submarine races too. On the seawall that is. Of course it always has water. If any of you like fishing, and make it this way, I'll take you either fresh or salt water fishing. Well even go offshore. Now.....depending on which team you pull for......you may or may not return back to shore!!:D Only one problem though I think Hippo's are good swimmers! So maybe the marsh.........Hey Hutto....ever go duck hunting?

lostaussie
01-11-2006, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by DaHop72
Take time and stop and spend a day and observe a West Texas sunrise and sunset, and with out the light pollution from bigger towns nearby a beautiful star filled night when they look so bright and close that you can reach up and touch them, then you will appreciate West Texas. you forgot watch the wind blow.............and blow.............and blow:D

STANG RED
01-11-2006, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by lostaussie
you forgot watch the wind blow.............and blow.............and blow:D

Now now! That all depends on the time of year it is.
But if its the middle of the summer, and wind isnt blowing, Youll be prayin that it starts blowing again real soon.
Spring time is really the only time its windy pretty much every day.

LH Panther Mom
01-11-2006, 06:32 PM
i'm going to paducah tomorrow quail hunting. long way from gilmer to paducah.
If you find yourself in Dumont or Flomot, you are lost. :p You'll be close to my parents in Paducah. :) And....don't forget to return the "one-finger" wave.

SWMustang
01-11-2006, 07:23 PM
Do I have to jump in with the "Pro" side of living in Houston? OK, so there aren't many....

STANG RED
01-11-2006, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by SWMustang
Do I have to jump in with the "Pro" side of living in Houston? OK, so there aren't many....
Think I'll just stay here and dodge the tornados. You can have the traffic and hurricans!
You always know where home is.
Just bring some rain with ya, if your comin home any time soon.

SWMustang
01-11-2006, 07:40 PM
Yes, I do know where home is. I think of it often. I miss the wind blowing, the playground at Philip Nolan Elementary that had no grass - just red dirt. You couldn't smile out there or you'd get a mouth full of dirt; your white socks accented with a dirt ring around the ankle. You can't beat the people and the communities though. One day I'll go back. I'm sure of it.

lostaussie
01-11-2006, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
If you find yourself in Dumont or Flomot, you are lost. :p You'll be close to my parents in Paducah. :) And....don't forget to return the "one-finger" wave. i hope you are referring to the right hand in the top middle of steering wheel, with index finger going up to say "how ya doing"? :D that other one finger wave ain't so good..........

DaHop72
01-11-2006, 10:14 PM
you forgot watch the wind blow.............and blow.............and blow:D
Heck aussie, a real West Texan only worries when the wind doesn't blow. But since CRP we don't get to watch Seminole, Andrews and Lamesa come by much anymore. Never gets red and dark enough for the street lights to come on either.

Cardinalbb
01-12-2006, 05:44 AM
I believe the wind would get on my nerves after awhile. What do the ladies do with the wind blowing that hard?

LH Panther Mom
01-12-2006, 08:25 AM
I believe the wind would get on my nerves after awhile. What do the ladies do with the wind blowing that hard?
They wear pants. :p

Cardinalbb
01-12-2006, 09:46 AM

That was good. I gave you the open shot, and you took it!

Ranger Mom
01-12-2006, 09:47 AM

and pony tails!

LH Panther Mom
01-12-2006, 09:51 AM
That was good. I gave you the open shot, and you took it!
:D I lived in West Texas for almost 34 years. Once (it only took once), I made the mistake of wearing a broomstick skirt in the spring and to my dismay, had to buy gas that day. :eek: Do you know how silly a woman with an entire brookstick skirt scrunched up between her knees looks? :doh:

Ranger Mom
01-12-2006, 09:54 AM
:D I lived in West Texas for almost 34 years. Once (it only took once), I made the mistake of wearing a broomstick skirt in the spring and to my dismay, had to buy gas that day. :eek: Do you know how silly a woman with an entire brookstick skirt scrunched up between her knees looks? :doh:

LOL!! I can see the visual now!

I can't even tell you the last time I even wore a dress or skirt. I have found out I get a lot more done at work if I am wearing something that I can get up and down in.....and no cracks about me working either!

I'm at home sick today so go easy on me!:p

lostaussie
01-12-2006, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by DaHop72
Heck aussie, a real West Texan only worries when the wind doesn't blow. But since CRP we don't get to watch Seminole, Andrews and Lamesa come by much anymore. Never gets red and dark enough for the street lights to come on either. ok, i'm headed west in about an hour. i'll bet the wind is blowing when i get there:D. somebody else was right about the summer. only time you want the wind to blow.....and it won't.

lostaussie
01-12-2006, 09:56 AM

uhhh..........HOT:D

Ranger Mom
01-12-2006, 09:56 AM
ok, i'm headed west in about an hour. i'll bet the wind is blowing when i get there:D. somebody else was right about the summer. only time you want the wind to blow.....and it won't.

Looking out my window right now, it doesn't even look like we have a breeze!

I don't mind a little breeze in the summer, but when it's very hot, there is nothing worse than windy hot air hitting you square in the face.

sww-bull52
01-12-2006, 10:19 AM
uhhh..........HOT:D

Funny....that's what I was thinkin'!!!!:eek: :eek:

GreenMonster
01-12-2006, 10:25 AM
Aussie, which route are you taking to Paducah?

duckbutter
01-12-2006, 11:06 AM
We went through Paducah the other day on our way to Turkey. Had a great quail hunt but it was so dry that the grass was even dusty. Dogs had a real hard time finding birds but we managed to limit each day.

lostaussie
01-12-2006, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
Aussie, which route are you taking to Paducah? not sure i'm just a passenger. i think we are hunting in munday on friday(thats sounds crazy) and paducah on saturday.

DaHop72
01-12-2006, 11:20 AM
ok, i'm headed west in about an hour. i'll bet the wind is blowing when i get there:D. somebody else was right about the summer. only time you want the wind to blow.....and it won't.
Sounds like you are coming on a great day, predicted blowing dust this p.m.

LH Panther Mom
01-12-2006, 11:21 AM
not sure i'm just a passenger. i think we are hunting in munday on friday(thats sounds crazy) and paducah on saturday.
If you hurry, maybe you could hunt in Early late this evening. :D

GreenMonster
01-12-2006, 02:50 PM
Just wondering. If you were to come west on 82 into Wichita Falls the easiest way to Paducah is west on 287 to Vernon and then on to Paducah, which would take you roughly 35 yards north of my home in Iowa Park. Since I know that you are going to Munday first you will not be passing through here. Munday is about 60 miles southwest of here.

GetRDoneStangs
01-12-2006, 03:24 PM
Paducah, Texas

Local Time: 2:19 PM CST (Set My Timezone) Lat/Lon: 34.0° N 100.3° W (MSN Map)

Current Conditions
Updated: 1:53 PM CST on January 12, 2006
Observed At: Childress, Texas
Elevation: 1952 ft / 595 m

73 °F / 23 °C
Clear
Humidity: 6%
Dew Point: 3 °F / -16 °C
Wind: 25 mph / 41 km/h from the West
Wind Gust: 31 mph / 50 km